Natural Ways to Control Diabetes – Diet and Herbal Remedies
Diabetes is a common, rapid growing condition which we can find very often with an incidence of 6.2 per 1000 adults. In the current situation there are Approximately 25.2 million cases of diabetes in India. Diabetes comes under the endocrine disorders which is a chronic (Long lasting) Condition, but it can be managed easily. In this article we will discuss Diabetes, Its Ayurvedic view, Natural Ways to manage diabetes and some herbal remedies.
Diabetes is a chronic metabolic disorder in which a person’s body fails to produce enough insulin or Produces very little amount of insulin or the body is unable to process it which leads to high levels of blood sugars in the body. Insulin is a hormone which is produced by Pancreas which helps in providing the Glucose (we get from food) from the bloodstream to the cells of the body. Unhealthy lifestyles including lack of exercise, sedentary habits, Intake of heavy and oily foods etc. may lead to this condition.
It is of three types
1. Type 1
The condition in which pancreas make no or little insulin. It usually affects the childrens and the Adolescents but can occur at any age.
2. Type 2
The condition in which the body is unable to process blood sugar. This commonly occurs in adults and consists of approx 75% of cases.
3. Gestational Diabetes (GDM)
High blood glucose level in Pregnancy. This usually Disappears after pregnancy but increases the risk of diabetes in the child.
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Improper functioning of pancreas
- 5. Endocrine deformity
- 6. Autoimmune conditions
SIGN AND SYMPTOMS
- Excessive Thirst
- Increased appetite
- Increased Urination
- Weight loss
- Numbness in limbs
- Tingling sensation in body
- Delayed wound healing
- Darkness of skin in Insulin resistant diabetes
- Frequent infections
Prevention to manage diabetes, abstinence is very important.
- 1. Have a disciplined diet.
- 2. Don’t take the next meal, if the previous one is not digested.
- Eat warm and liquid food, always fill two-thirds of the stomach and do not extend.
- Purify and Detoxify your body with the help of natural herbs. r>
- Observe a fast or a sattvic day once in a week
- Avoid taking sweet things such as Sugarcane Juice, sweet fruits, oily foods.
- Walking, yoga, and exercise is beneficial.
- Physical Examination
- Blood Test – Fasting blood sugar test (FBS)
- Random blood sugar test (RBS)
- Oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT)
TREATMENT As per modern
- Proper diet
- Insulin therapy for Diabetes mellitus Type1.
- Oral antidiabetic medications
Diabetes Mellitus in Ayurveda is known as Madhumeha. Madhu means Honey and Meha means Excessive excretion (Urine). One of the causative factors is accumulation of the toxins in pancreas and hampers its functions Or the Kapha and Pitta Dosha along with ama creates blockage of the channels of pancreas which hampers the secretion of insulin. There are various factors which leads to Madhumeha such as sedentary lifestyle, Excessive use of curd, Excessive use jaggery and other kapha vardhak aahar (Kapha promoting food), Oversleep or day sleep, Comfortable living without any exertion etc.
These are the cause which does the dushti of the dosha (Vata, Pitta, Kapha) and Dushya (meda, mamsa, shukra, kleda, rakta, vasa, majja, lasika and ojas) which leads to 20 types of prameha. There are 10 types of Kaphaja Prameha, 6 types of Pittaja Prameha, 4 types of Vataja prameha. According to ayurveda, The patient which passes urine like Madhur, Kashaya, Pandu and ruksh is known as madhumehi (Diabetic person). It comes under vataja Prameha.
NATURAL WAYS TO CONTROL DIABETES.
Diabetes is growing very rapidly, this can be managed by dietary modifications and lifestyle changes.
1. Methi or Methika (Trigonella foenum-graecum)
- To control diabetes, Methi is an important herb. They should consume seeds and leaves of the methi herb as required. Methi seeds consist of some important constituents which helps in decreasing the blood Glucose level. It consists of an amino acid named hydroxyisoleucine which helps in increasing the insulin from pancreas. It converts the blood glucose into energy.
- Methi also contains Gentianine, Trigonelline and Carpine which helps in Absorption of carbohydrates and reduces the amount of glucose in the blood.
How to Use– Take seeds of methi 10-15 gram, soak it in water (earthen pot) overnight, next day macerate it and consume after filtering or Take 5 gram of methi churna two times a day.
2. Karela (Momordica charantia)
Fresh juice of kerala is very beneficial in managing the blood glucose levels. Take fresh karela juice every morning empty Stomach which will help in maintaining the health of Liver and pancreas that leads to proper production of insulin and helps in managing blood glucose level.
Dosage– 50 -100ML once a day
3. Garlic (Allium sativum)
It is an Indian spice, also known as Rasona. In ayurveda it is also known as Maha Aushadhi and kalyankari, Garlic Cloves are to be taken every morning to manage diabetes or take 250 mg of triphala (Kept in mouth) chew 2-3 garlic cloves.
4. Haldi (Curcuma longa)
Haridra is very beneficial in managing diabetes. Consume Haridra and Adrak in diet. Take juice of Raw turmeric two times a day in a dose of 6ml. If there is increased frequency of urine, take 8 grams of powdered turmeric with water.
5. Jeera (Cuminum cyminum)
Take 1 cup fresh carrot juice, half cup of fresh spinach juice, saindhav lavan and roasted jeera. Mix these and consume them daily. Also take jeera with methi powder to manage diabetes.
Brassica juncea) – Massage from Mustard oil is effective in diabetic conditions.
7. Onion (Allium cepa)
Onion is a basic ingredient we can find in every home. Mix one cup of carrot juice with two tablespoons of onion juice and two tablespoons of karela juice. This will help in managing Diabetes.
8. Fig Leaves (Ficus carica)
Fig has a lot of health benefits Including Diabetes. Take 5 – 6 fig leaves, Boil them, Filter it and let them cool. Consuming this will control blood glucose level.
9. Mango leaves (Mangifera indica)
Usually ripe mango is contraindicated in Diabetes, but leaves of mango tree are very beneficial in Diabetes. Boil fresh leaves of mango in one glass of water and let it sit overnight, next morning filter it with a clean cloth and consume empty stomach. Intake of this in long term benefits in Diabetes.
10. Dalchini (Cinnamomum Zeylanicum)
Dalchini is also very helpful in managing diates, it decreases the cholesterol levels and blood glucose level. Take a pinch of dalchini powder and boil it in water. Consume two times a day, This should not be consumed in excess.
11. Amla (Emblica officinalis)
Take fresh juice of amla along with juice of fresh rhizome of haldi. It is beneficial in lowering the blood glucose levels.
Dosage – 10 – 20 ml
12. Jamun (Syzygium cumini)
Jamun can be beneficial for Diabetic Patients. It has a low glycemic index and increases the Insulin sensitivity and Activity. Take one teaspoon of jamun powder in one glass of water and consume it daily.
- Diet– Intake of a balanced diet, full of green vegetables, A good amount of water intake, Fruits and other things which have low glycemic index. Avoid Sugar and Sugary Items, Carbonated Drinks and Processed foods.
- Lifestyle Measures– Exercise daily, Take a walk.
- Shodhana therapy (Purification)- Vamana and Virechana
- Samshaman chikita (Herbal remedies)- Herbal remedies like Chandraprabha vati, Vasant kusumakar ras, Nishamalaki, Lodhra asav, Phalatrikadi kwath etc. are useful in diabetes.
Herbal Remedies to Control Diabetes by Planet Ayurveda.
Planet Ayurveda is a holistic ayurvedic clinic where the diseases are managed with the help of dietary modifications and Herbal remedies. Planet Ayurveda also manufactures herbal formulations which are patent as well as classical. It is GMP and ISO certified, and all the herbal formulations are manufactured under the guidance of MD Ayurveda experts. These prepared formulations are 100% safe, natural and devoid of any side effects. The formulations are prepared in the form of Capsules, Tablets, Syrups, Oils, powder etc. They also manufacture the Vet and Cosmetic products, that too with the help of ancient herbs.
Product for Diabetes
- Garlic Capsules
- Fenugreek Capsules
- Karela capsules
- Curcumin Capsules
This is a patent ayurvedic formulation by planet ayurveda made by Standardized extract of Garlic (Allium sativum). This supports a healthy digestive System and healthy cholesterol levels. It has no glycemic index which is very effective in reducing blood glucose levels. It also contains antioxidants, Vitamin C and Zinc which helps in diabetes and maintains overall health.
Dosage – 1-2 capsules two times a day
2. Fenugreek Capsules
This is the patent ayurvedic product manufactured by the Planet ayurveda by Standardized extraction of the Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) in capsule form. Fenugreek seeds contain fiber and other chemicals which will help in slowing the body’s absorption of carbs and Sugar. Fenugreek seeds increase the amount of Insulin and also improves the usage of sugar in the body. It also maintains overall health.
Dosage – 1-2 capsules two times a day
3. Karela capsules
These are the patent ayurvedic preparation by Planet Ayurveda. It is prepared by Standardized Extraction of Karela (Momordica charantia) in the form of a capsule. It helps in Pacifying the Pitta and Kapha dosha. The compounds of Karela (Bitter gourd) have similar functions to Insulin. It helps in lowering the blood glucose level in both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. Karela also supports the health of the pancreas.
Dosage – 1-2 Capsules two times daily, with plain water, after meals.
4. Curcumin Capsules
This formulation is a patent preparation by planet ayurveda. It consists of Standardized extract of Haridra (Curcuma longa) in capsule form. Haridra is a very beneficial herb, it acts as an antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and contains antioxidants. Haridra helps in reducing the blood glucose levels, increases insulin sensitivity.
Dosage: 1-2 Capsules twice daily, with plain water, after meals.
Diabetes is a Metabolic Disorder in which the body does not produce insulin or produce in a very less quantity. It can occur in any age group and can be easily managed by the help of herbal remedies, diet and lifestyle modification. Along with these there are many natural ways to deal with this condition mentioned above. These will help in lowering down the blood glucose level and do not have any side effects. Also, there are many herbal tablets such as karela capsules, Fenugreek capsules which can manage this condition.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- SARCOIDOSIS ALTERNATIVE AND NATURAL TREATMENT IN AYURVEDA - November 29, 2023
- ENLARGED PROSTATE GLAND OR PROSTATE ENLARGEMENT – ALTERNATIVE TREATMENT WITH NATURAL REMEDIES - November 24, 2023
- PARONYCHIA (NAIL INFECTION) – OVERVIEW, SYMPTOMS, CAUSES AND TREATMENT - November 24, 2023
- AYURVEDIC REMEDIES AND NATURAL TREATMENT FOR HEMOPHAGOCYTIC LYMPHOHISTIOCYTOSIS - November 23, 2023
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Tourette Syndrome - November 22, 2023