Natural Treatment for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an inflammatory progressive disorder. It can lead to joint destruction if left untreated. Certain genetic and environmental factors appear to promote the development of RA, but symptoms vary from patient to patient. RA is an autoimmune disease that causes pain, swelling and stiffness of joints. The progression of this disease bilateral (both hands and both knees are affected). RA can also affect lungs and heart.
It is an autoimmune disorder in which the immune system of the body starts attacking its own body tissues and cells. Early inflammatory arthritis is self-limiting but later develops into Rheumatoid arthritis. It is mainly characterized by persistent swelling of tissues of joints.
According to Ayurveda
Rheumatoid arthritis is called AMAVATA in Ayurveda. It occurs due to the vitiation of vata dosha and AMA collects in the joints. According to Ayurveda the main cause of RA is indigestion. Indigestion leads to accumulation of toxins which are known as ama (Undigested food particles) and further vitiation of vata dosha produces symptoms of RA.
Causes of Rheumatoid Arthritis According to Modern Science
The main cause of RA is unknown. Mainly it occurs when your immune system starts attacking synovial lining of joints. It further leads to inflammation; pain and stiffness of joints.
Risk Factors of Rheumatoid Arthritis
There are some trigger factors that increase the chance of RA such as:
- Age: RA can occur in any age group, but it is mostly present in the middle age people.
- Sex: RA is mostly present in the women as compared to men.
- Smoking: Cigarette smoking is the cause of various problems. It is also the causative factor of RA.
- Exposures to the pollutants: Polluted environments increase the risk of RA by hampering immunity power.
- Family history – If someone has family history of RA then they are at risk to develop RA.
- Obesity: Women who are overweight and above 50 years are also at risk of developing Rheumatoid arthritis.
Symptoms of RA
The signs and symptoms may vary in severity from person to person. It is marked by symptoms like pain and swelling in joints. The signs and symptoms occur during periods known as flares. When symptoms disappear, this phase is called the period of remission. RA can affect various organs and its symptoms include:
- Painful joints
- Swelling in joints
- Joint stiffness
- Loss of joint functions
- Joint deformity
- Loss of appetite
People with active RA can also experience depression, anemia and social withdrawal.
Normally RA affects the joints of the hand and feet of both sides of the body. But in some people a fleshy type lump is developed which is called Rheumatoid Nodules. It develops under the skin where joints are affected. It is rarely painful, not all the time.
Complications of Rheumatoid Arthritis
If RA is not treated timely, the inflammation leads to involvement of other organs. It increases your risk of developing:
- Dryness of mouth
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Heart disorders
- Lungs diseases
Natural Remedies for Rheumatoid Arthritis
RA is an autoimmune disease, but symptoms can be managed by natural remedies. Here are few of them:
- Heat therapy can be beneficial in RA as it increases the blood flow and relaxes your muscles. Take a warm pad or towel and place it on an affected area. It gives you a soothing effect. Don’t take too much hot pad or towel otherwise it will burn your skin.
- Go for cold therapy. Take an ice pack and place it on the affected area for about 15 minutes. This procedure helps to decrease your swelling
- Exercise or physical activities are also important for healthy life. Do aerobics, yoga, swimming, etc.
- Avoid smoking if you are a smoker. Stop taking of alcohol in excess amount
- Sunbath is also important because from sunlight Vitamin D is obtained which makes the bones stronger.
- Take healthy and light food which is easy to digest.
- Start taking a nutritional diet which is rich in calcium, vitamin, etc.
- Drink more and more water. It will help in detoxification of the body.
- Massage is a natural procedure which is highly beneficial to increase blood circulation. Massage over the affected area with the essential oils or coconut oils, etc.
Herbal Remedies for RA by Planet Ayurveda
According to Ayurvedic treatment of RA, firstly remove Aam accumulation in the body that causes blockage of channels. Planet Ayurveda offers the best combination of herbal formulations such as RA care pack. This pack contains natural herbs which are highly effective to manage symptoms of RA. RA care pack includes:
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is a rejuvenating herb which nourishes and strengthens the nervous system.
Doses – 2 capsule twice daily with warm water, after meals.
2. Boswellia Curcumin
Boswellia curcumin is an effective combination of shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and curcumin (Curcumin longum). Both of these herbs are antiinflammatory and analgesic in nature. This combination helps to prevent further damage to joints.
Doses – 2 capsules twice daily with warm water, after meals.
3. Aamvatantak Churna
This churna helps in detoxification of body and it contain ingredients such as Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Fenugreek ( Trigonella- foenum graceum), Gorakhmundi (Sphaeranthus indicus), Suranjaan (Colchium automnale) and sonth ( Zingiber officinale)
Doses – 1 teaspoonful twice daily with warm water, before meals.
4. Rumogin 5 Capsules
These capsules are prepared from extracts of Haridra (Curcuma longa), Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Shallaki (Boswellia serrata) etc. These herbs in combination work wonderfully to manage complications of RA.
Doses – 1 capsule twice daily with warm water, after meals.
5. Joint Aid Plus
joint aid plus contains pure and standardized extracts of Nirgundi (Vitex negundo), Guggul (Camiphora mukul) and Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) This combination effectively works to counteract inflammatory actions to the various joints which are affected by RA.
Doses – 2 capsules twice daily with warm water, after meals.
6. Yograj Guggul
This is a classical Ayurvedic formulation. This classical medicine is very effective in musculoskeletal disorders. It mainly works on Vata dosha. The tablets of Yograj guggul is prepared from the herbs like Guggul (Commiphora mukul), Chitrak (Plumbago zeylanica), Chavya (Piper chaba), Pippali (Piper longum), Musta (Cyperus rotundus), Amla (Emblica officinalis) and some other herbs. These ingredients help in maintaining proper digestion by stimulating the digestive fire. As we know that, Rheumatoid arthritis occurs due to digestive problem. It is caused by the formation of Aama (Endotoxins) in the body. The herbs in this formulation are works on this Aama. They digest this Aama and maintain the good and proper digestion.
Doses –2 tablets twice daily with warm water, after meals.
RA is an autoimmune disease, but it can be managed by taking a healthy diet, proper rest and doing regular exercise. Herbal formulations are best to treat and manage this condition as these formulations are chemical and preservative free.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Ayurvedic Treatment Of Interstitial Cystitis - August 26, 2021
- Ayurvedic Treatment For Cecal Volvulus - August 25, 2021
- Natural Remedies For PAD Disease In Ayurveda - August 19, 2021
- Ayurvedic Management for Mitral Valve Prolapse - August 18, 2021
- TOP 7 HOME REMEDIES FOR SWOLLEN LYMPH NODES - August 17, 2021