Natural Treatment and Prevention of Liver Diseases in Dogs
The liver is an important organ of human beings and equally is in dogs. It is the largest organ in the dogs next to the skin. The liver performs 1500 important functions in a dog. The functions of the liver are digestion, blood clotting, and it also removes the toxins present in the body. If this organ is not functioning properly it results in various complications. In dogs, the liver helps to metabolize the fat, protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals.
Some of The Important Functions of a Healthy Liver are Given as Follows
- A healthy liver helps in the absorption of the nutrients
- Produces plasma proteins and blood clotting factors
- The liver stores the vitamins and minerals- vitamins A, D, K, and B12 and releases minerals like iron, and copper when required.
- Breaks down the drugs.
- Excretes toxic substances from the body
How to Recognize?
Dogs are not able to communicate and express their problem so their body shows some early manifestation (signs) which clearly shows that the body is facing some problem. Here are the early symptoms are shown by the body in case of the liver-related problem-
- Digestive disorders (constipation, diarrhea, gas or bloating)
- Dry, brittle or infected nails
- Dull eyes
- Eye discharge or a pinkish eye
- Corneal or retinal disorders
- Sinus issues
- Dark urine
- Poor appetite
- Ligament and tendon issues
- Irritability or aggression
Different Types of Liver Diseases Seen in Dogs
- Bile duct obstruction- The tubes that carry bile from liver to gallbladder get blocked.
- Portosystemic shunt- It is also called abnormal liver shunt when the blood from the stomach, intestines, pancreas, and spleen bypass the liver.
- Liver tumors- It is very common in old aged dogs. It can be a type of cancer within the liver or its surroundings.
Signs and Symptoms
Some of The Common Symptoms That are Seen in Affected Dog are
- Loss of appetite, or diarrhea
- Distended abdomen
- Unsteady gait
- Weight loss
- Increased thirst
- An unstable walk
- Increased need to pee
- Yellowish eyes, tongue, or gums (jaundice)
- Signs of weakness
- Blood in his pee or poop
Some of The Common Causes For The Onset of The Liver Conditions Can be
- The plants and the herbs like ragwort, certain mushrooms, and blue-green algae
- Molds that grow on corn
- Untreated heartworms
- Issues with the pancreas
- Use of painkillers
- Fatty foods
- Viral and bacterial infections
- Poisonous substances your dog has eaten
Detoxification of Liver in Dogs
The Liver Can be toxin Free by Following These Two Processes
As we know the function of the liver is to filter the present toxins in the body and eliminate the chemicals & toxins from the body.
It is the process which reduces the harmful effects of toxins and free radicals. This process leads to degeneration which results in aging.
In this process there is secretion of the substances like amino acids and Sulphur molecules which reduce the harmful effects of toxins on the body. It also makes the toxins to be water soluble which excretes through urine.
Here Are the Toxins That Damage the Liver of The Dog
- Medication for heartworm
- Medicine for Flea and tick Vaccines
- Chemical cleansers
- Processed food
- Tattoo or the microchip
- Autoimmune disease
Natural Treatment by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda offers the herbal medicines which are formulated with a combination of herbs that are decided and finalized by Ayurvedic experts. The herbal supplements by Planet Ayurveda are safe to be used as they are free from chemicals and colors. For the Liver problem in dogs, Planet Ayurveda offers Punarnava Mandur, Liver Detox, and Arogyavardhini vati. These Medicines are equally good and beneficial for dogs.
1. Punarnava Mandur
It is the herbal formulation in tablet form. It is diuretic- removes the excess water from the body and prevents the accumulation of it which results in complications. The herbs used in it has an antibacterial property which helps in treating and preventing bacterial infection, eases the inflammation and also improves the digestion.
The Herbs Used in It Are
- Boerhavia Diffusa (Punarnava)
- Zingiber officinale(shunthi)
- Piper longum (Pippali)
- Piper nigrum (Maricha)
- Emblica officinalis (Amalaki)
- Terminalia Chebula (Haritaki)
- Piper chaba (Chavya),
- Curcuma longa (Haridra)
- Embelia ribes (Vidanga)
- Plumbago zeylanica (Chitrak mool)
- Ferric oxide (Mandoor bhasma).
2. Liver Detox Formula
It is an herbal formulation in the form of capsules. It is used for detoxification of the liver. It boosts up the liver function, treats poor digestion, fatigue, bloating hormonal imbalances. It also helps in preventing liver failure.
The Ingredients Used are
- Katuki (Piccorrhiza Kurrao)
- Punarnava (Boerhavia Diffusa)
- Kalamegh (Andrographis Paniculata)
- Makoy (Solanum indicum)
- Kaasni (Chichorium intybus)
- Biranjasipha (Achillea Millefolium)
- Jhavuka (Tamarix galluca)
- Himsra (Capparis spinose)
3. Arogyavardhini Vati
It is in tablet form and an excellent blood purifier. It is made with the combination of 11 essential Ayurvedic herbs
- Shuddh Parad
- Shuddh Gandhak
- Lauh Bhasma
- Abhrak Bhasma
- Tamra Bhasma
- Haritaki, Babhitaki
- Shuddh Shilajatu
- Shuddh Guggulu
- Chitrak Mool
These are useful in relieving liver disorders and various skin diseases. It also enhances the immune system and helps in treating skin diseases. This is the best remedy for a liver disorder. Kutki is the main ingredient of this herbal medicine.
Punarnava Mandur-1 tablet twice daily to be crushed and mixed in milk or boiled egg and given to the dog
Liver Detox Formula – 1 capsule twice daily to be opened and mixed in milk or boiled egg and given to the dog
Arogyavardini Vati-1 tablet twice daily to be crushed and mixed in milk or boiled egg and given to the dog
We can keep our Dog’s Liver Healthy by Following These Tips
- Make the environment free of Toxins
- Toxin-free Food in the Diet
- Liver-Healthy Foods
- Milk Thistle
- Antioxidants And Carotenoids
- Fresh Fruits and Veggies
- Feed High-Quality Protein
- Cleanse Your Dog’s Liver At Least Twice A Year
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment of Trigger Finger - January 23, 2021
- Ayurvedic Treatment for Chaple Syndrome - January 22, 2021
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Arthrosis - January 21, 2021
- Herbal Remedies for Subacute Sclerosing Panencephalitis - January 19, 2021
- What is significance of High CPK Test & its Ayurvedic Management - January 19, 2021