Natural Supplements To Increase Platelet Count
Blood Clotting or blood coagulation retards the excessive loss of blood during blood vessel injury. Blood clot occurs when the particular parts of the blood are changed from gel-like to semisolid mass. Blood coagulation is the necessary process which prevents the body from extreme blood loss. Platelets are the major component of blood responsible to heal up the damaged blood vessel. In this article we can discuss the platelets, its role, cause and symptoms of low platelets count, natural supplements to increase platelet count and its Ayurvedic aspect.
Platelets are the biconvex shaped, small, colorless fragments that are produced in bone marrow (spongy center inside the bones) with white blood cells and red blood cells. Platelets are generated in the bone marrow and circulated throughout the body. Life span of platelets in the bloodstream is 8-10 days. The normal range or count of platelets is 150000 – 450000 platelets per microliter of blood. A hormone called Thrombopoietin is responsible for regulating the production of platelets. When the concentration or count of platelets becomes low it results in a disease called Thrombocytopenia or Low Platelet Count. If there is a lack of platelets in blood, the body can’t form clots. Extreme blood loss may occur that leads to severe conditions which may cause death. Reduction in blood platelet count is becoming the most common problem.
Some common symptoms of low platelet count or Thrombocytopenia are following
- Extreme flow of blood at the site of injury or cut
- Flow of blood from Gums and Nose
- Blood fragments in stool and urine.
- Skin Discoloration
- Increased bleeding during menstruation
Some common cause of Thrombocytopenia or Low Platelet Count are following
- ron deficiency anemia (IDA)
- Increased count of White blood cells (Leukemia) and other cancer
- Some type of viral infections i.e. Hepatitis C, HIV
- High Alcohol Consumption: Alcohol consumption may impact the functions and shape of platelets.
- Radiation treatment or Chemotherapy: drugs and therapy used in this treatment destroys some rapidly dividing cells which are responsible for the development of platelets.
Some conditions in which destruction of platelets may increase as compared to production of platelets. This may lead to deficiency of platelets in the bloodstream. Such conditions are following
- Some severe bacterial infections may lead to destruction of platelets.
- Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP): Blood disorder in which Blood clots occur throughout the body. It may lead to low platelet count.
- Anemia in pregnancy.
- Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome (HUS): This disease causes sharp reduction in platelet count.
- Medications: Some medications also may cause low blood count. For example, Anticonvulsants, heparin Quinine, Sulfa containing Antibiotics.
This shloka states that, in this condition of excessive blood loss (as a result of reduced platelets i.e. (clotting factors) the other body tissues such as muscles, fatty tissues also start depleting due to which the digestive fire (Agni) becomes milder and the Vata is over vitiated. Thus, the person must not consume cold and acidic food items. But promote consumption of Haematinics (the drugs/food supplement which increase blood).
NATURAL SUPPLEMENTS TO INCREASE PLATELET COUNT
In modern medicine, there is no any kind of specific treatment to increase the low platelet count whereas natural supplements are beneficial to treat thrombocytopenia.
There are various types of natural supplements. Some of these are
- Papaya leaf juice: Papaya leaf juice increases the enzyme (ALOX12) by 10-15 times and this enzyme prop up the production of platelets.
- Wheatgrass juice: Because wheat grass is rich in chlorophyll, it is beneficial to increase the production of thrombocytes.
- Aloe Vera juice: Aloe Vera juice is used to prevent different types of blood infections. It is also used in the treatment of low platelets count.
- Beetroot juice: It is beneficial to prevent the destruction of platelets from free radicals and increase the number of platelets.
- Pumpkin seeds: Pumpkin and its seeds are the rich source of vitamin A which helps in the production of platelets.
- Raisins: Raisins are the rich source of Iron and the deficiency of iron is the major cause of low blood platelet count.
- Vitamin B12 AND folate rich diet: Some food items that are rich in Vitamin B12 are Egg, Meat, and Chicken etc. Vitamin B12 is responsible for healthy blood cells. Folate commonly occurs in green leafy vegetables such as spinach etc.
HERBAL MEDICINES PROVIDED BY PLANET AYURVEDA
Planet Ayurveda provides 100% natural and effective medicines such as “ITP care pack for advanced stages” or “ITP LEVEL-2 PLATELET GUSH PACK” to treat the Immune Thrombocytopenia (ITP). These herbal medicines are free from any type of chemicals, preservatives etc. these medications contain very less side effects.
Herbal drugs prescribed by our doctors for dealing with ITP
- Punarnava mandur
- Ashwagandha capsules
- Brahmi Chyawanprash
- Immune booster
- Kumar kalyan ras
- Spirulina capsules
- Green essentials
- Plato plan syrup
- Jaimangal ras
- Pitta balance
Full description of herbal drugs
1. Punarnava mandur
Punarnava (Boerhavia Diffusa) is used to purify the blood. It plays an important role in the treatment of anaemia. It is also helpful to increase blood platelet count.
Dosage: 2 tablets twice daily with plain water after meals
2. Ashwagandha capsules
Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera) is one of the best herbs that prop up the white blood cell, red blood cell and platelets count.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals
3. Brahmi Chyawanprash
Brahmi (Bacopa Monnieri) is the herbal formulation in the form of jam. Brahmi Chyawanprash contains more than 25 herbal ingredients. It helps to maintain tridoshas. It is helpful in the treatment of viral infection that leads to Thrombocytopenia.
Dosage: 1 spoon daily
4. Immune booster
The Immune booster of the Planet Ayurveda is 100% safe and pure. It contains Grape Seed (Vitis vinifera), Bhoomi Amla (Phyllanthus Niruri) and Cow Colostrum (Bovine Colostrum). Name specifies that it is used to boost up the immune system and prevent various viruses or infections. It contains Vitamin C that is a very helpful oldest herbal medicine to increase blood platelet count.
Dosage: 1 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals
5. Kumar kalyan ras
Kumar Kalyan Ras of Planet Ayurveda are made up of different type of minerals or their ashes such as Loha Bhasama (Iron Ash), Swarna Bhasma (Ash of Gold), Makshika Bhasama (Ash of copper-iron pyrite), Ghritkumari Rasa (Extract of Aloe Vera juice), Shuddha Parad (Purified Mercury) etc. It is only to be used by kumaras (children). It mainly targets the main cause of Thrombocytopenia.
Dosage: 1 tablet twice daily to be chewed with lukewarm water.
6. Spirulina capsules
Spirulina (Spirulina Platensis) increases the white blood cell count as well as blood platelet count. It is also used to improve haemoglobin. It improves body immunity.
Dosage: 1 capsules twice daily
7. Green essentials
These capsules are formulated by the combination of Amla (Embellica officinalis), Green tea (Camellia Sinensis) and Wheatgrass (Triticum aestivum) etc. It contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Dosage: 1 capsules twice daily
8. Plato plan syrup
Different types of herbs are used in the formulation of Plato plan syrup. It contains Ashwagandha (Tinospora Cordifolia), Erand karkati (Carica Papaya), Shigru (Moringa Pterygosperma), Draksha (Vitis Vinifera) etc. Plato plan syrup is useful in the treatment of Anaemia. It is beneficial to increase the platelet count and also responsible for red blood cell production.
Dosage: 2 spoons twice daily
9. Jaimangal ras
Jaimangal ras is an Ayurvedic medicine which is used to balance all three dosha. The major ingredients are Shuddha gandhak (Purified form of sulphur), Vanga Bhasma (Bhasma of Tin), Makshika Bhasma (Bhasma of copper and iron Pyrite) etc. This Ayurvedic medicine is raktaprasadak and has a mollifying action on the heart.
Dosage: 1 tablet twice daily to be chewed with lukewarm water
10. Pitta balance
Name specifies that it is used to balance the pitta dosha. Some ingredients of Pitta balance are Agate calcium (Akik pishti), Coral Calcium (Praval Pishti), Pearl Calcium (Mukta pishti), Kamdudha Ras etc. High pitta imbalance is responsible for low platelet count.
Dosage: 1 capsules twice daily
Contact my assistant to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – firstname.lastname@example.org or call at +91-172-5214030 Or Check Website – www.PlanetAyurveda.com
At the end of this article we can see that in modern medicine, patients are left with only the option of platelet transfusion, which is not a permanent solution of the disease. It may relieve the symptoms for some time but as the cause is not treated the condition reoccurs. Whereas natural supplements are also beneficial to increase blood platelet count. In Ayurveda, herbal products are used which are obtained from natural resources. These herbal products are pure, safe and effective. The main target of herbal medicines is to target the root cause of the disease.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- What is Yasthimandu Ghan Vati? And Explain the Method of Preparation - January 25, 2023
- Ayurvedic Perspective on Vestibular Hypofunction? All about the Disease, Varun Dhawan is diagnosed with - January 24, 2023
- What is Apitherapy? Its Benefits & how it is Part of Ayurveda - January 21, 2023
- Herbal Remedies for Cheyletiellosis Treatment - January 19, 2023
- Herbal Remedies for Paranoid Personality Disorder Treatment - January 16, 2023