Natural Alternatives to Artificial Protein for Gym Goers
As we age it’s harder to maintain weight and much harder to build muscles. Nowadays teenagers and young adults including both Men and Women want to have an attractive body with strong muscles. We all know that proteins are one of the important sources of nutrients that help us in building muscles and make them stronger. In order to achieve them, some people include protein supplements that help in building muscles but there are hidden dangers in them that result in complications. Through this article, we are going to discuss the importance of protein, the side effects of chemical proteins, and the best protein supplements provided by Planet Ayurveda.
Why Protein is Necessary?
Proteins are made from amino acids that join with each other to form a long chain. Imagine proteins as a string of beads and each bead is an amino acid. There are a total of 20 amino acids that join together to form the thousands of different proteins in the body. There are various important functions of proteins that includes: –
- Providing Energy: They help in providing the body with energy as most of the proteins contain 4 calories per gram. The amount of fat supplies most of the energy to the body and this includes 9 calories per gram. However, protein is the last thing that our body wants for energy and is one of the valued nutrients throughout the body. Fats and carbs are much suitable for providing energy to the body and protein provides your body with less energy. In certain circumstances when you are fasting and there is no intake of food for almost 18 to 48 hours the body starts to breakdown skeletal muscles which then provides energy through the help of amino acids.
- Transports and Stores Energy: Transporting proteins are responsible for carrying substances throughout the bloodstream going into the cells and out of the cells. These substances carried by proteins are blood sugar, oxygen, cholesterol, vitamins, and minerals. Example: – Hemoglobin present in the protein helps in carrying oxygen from the lungs to the tissues of the body. Proteins bind with only some specific type of substance. In other words, protein transport will only help the glucose to move not the cholesterol. They also include the roles of storing like ferritin in the type of storage protein found in iron. Another important storage protein is casein found in milk helping the baby to grow.
- Strengths Immune Health: Proteins are responsible for forming antibiotics, immunoglobulins that help in fighting infection. Antibiotics are basically proteins present in the blood that helps in protecting the body. Whenever the foreign body enters into the cells, the body starts to produce antibodies that eliminate them. Without antibiotics, the number of viruses and bacteria will start to multiply which will result in causing disease. Proteins help in developing immunity and fighting against disease.
- Balances the Fluid: The balanced intake of protein helps in maintaining the fluid balance. Globulin and Albumin are types of protein found in the blood which helps in maintaining the body fluid. If there is a deficiency of protein and the intake is not enough, the levels of globulin and albumin gradually decrease. Therefore, the protein is not able to keep the blood in the blood vessels forcing the fluid to enter the spaces between the cells. As a result, the fluid continuously starts to build-up leading to edema especially seen in the region of the stomach. This is known as the serve form of protein malnutrition better known as Kwashiorkor.
- Maintaining pH Levels: There is a vital role of protein in balancing the concentration of bases and proteins in the blood and other fluids of the body. The balance between bases and acids is measured through the pH scale and it ranges between 0 to 14. If 0 then it is most acidic, 7 is neutral and 14 is most alkaline. The balance of pH level is important and even a slight change in the levels can be harmful to health.
- Gives Structure: Proteins are packed with fibrous material that provides the tissue and cells with rigidity and stiffness. They also include materials like collagen, elastin, and keratin that helps in forming the connective framework of certain structures present in the body. Collagen is the form of structural protein present in the ligaments, skin, bones, and tendons. Elastin is much more flexible than collagen that helps the tissue to return to its original shape after stretching like lungs, arteries, and uterus.
- Acts as A Messenger: Some of the proteins are hormones that are chemical messengers and helps in moving the communication between tissues, organs, and cells. They are formed and secreted in the endocrine tissue which is then transported in the blood targeting the organs and tissue, they then bind to the protein receptors present on the surface of cells. Proteins and peptides are one of the main types of hormones forming the chains of amino-acids.
- Biochemical Reaction: Enzymes are protein that helps in aiding biochemical reaction taking place in and outside the cells. These enzymes work outside the cells and form digestive enzymes like sucrase and lactase helping the sugar to digest.
- Growth: Protein is one of the essential nutrients that help in the maintenance and growth of the tissues. In normal circumstances, the body starts to break down a small number of proteins that are used in building and repairing tissues. Sometimes these proteins break down more than they can make, thus increasing the need of the body. This situation is commonly seen during the time of pregnancy or the person is suffering from a period of illness.
What are the Side Effects of Chemical Proteins?
In modern times everyone wants to build muscles and six-pack abs just like film stars which are specifically noted in Men. They don’t understand that this needs a lot of hard work and dedication along with good nutrition. One of the main things that are mainly trendy and are said to be effective in building muscles are supplements, and this is recommended by every gym trainer. No one tells that these supplements present in the market are full of chemicals and these may help in making you look all pumped up but in later stages, these supplements result in harmful side effects including:
- Hair Loss: The hair is made from keratin which is formed from protein. This will make you think that more protein means more keratin but no you are wrong. Whey protein is also known for boosting the levels of testosterone which then produces a chemical called DHT resulting in hair loss. This means that these supplements are not producing proteins, they are simply forming chemicals. Even excess weight lifting results in high levels of testosterone and causing hair loss. The focus must be more on aerobic exercises.
- Acne: These chemical proteins are responsible for producing IGF-1 which is a form of a hormone also known as an insulin-like growth factor. This is responsible for triggering the production of sebum resulting in acne.
- Dehydration: It is proven by some researchers that high levels of protein are responsible for dehydration. This is the reason people with high protein diets are suggested to drink an adequate amount of water.
- Increases Cancer Risk: These protein powders are sometimes packaged with heavy metals which increases the risk of developing cancer. It is important to consult a nutritionist before consuming protein powders.
- Drug Interaction: It is extremely possible that consuming whey protein will stop the effect of other medications especially in patients with osteoporosis. These proteins are responsible for decreasing the absorption of other drugs. They can also interact with anticoagulant drugs, antiplatelet drugs, and Non-Steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs which are also responsible for increasing the risk of bleeding.
- Heavy Metal Poisoning: According to the journal of Consumer Reports the protein powders are filled with dangerous heavy metals like lead arsenic. The consumption of these powdered proteins can result in severe sickness. They may experience exhaustion and other health issues like CKD and diabetes.
- Liver Damage: Having a diet that is more in protein intake and less in carbs, pushes the body to go into the state of ketosis. This results in high levels of acidity in the blood and high blood acidity is possibly known for causing impairment of liver function. This might result in severe disorders of the stomach. Excess intake of whey protein without doing any physical workout can lead to inflammation of the liver and increasing the risk of liver injury.
- Disturbed Hormones: It is one of the major problems seen in people who have consumed soy-based protein supplements. Soy is one of the rich sources of amino acids which is also high in phytoestrogen. This, when consumed, mimics the hormone called estrogen disturbing the endocrine system. 95 percent of the soy-based supplements are genetically modified and this contains a chemical called glyphosate which is responsible for unbalancing the hormones. This may result in miscarriage and sometimes even defects in newborn babies. The genistein and daidzein present in the soy cause enlarged breasts in men, diminished libido, and erectile dysfunction.
- Affecting Kidneys: Protein is used by the body that produces ammonia as a by-product and this is then converted into urea, it is then eliminated through urine. Eventually, if the person takes high protein, they produce high levels of urea. This puts high pressure on the kidney eliminating a large amount of calcium and urea from the blood. Consuming a large quantity of protein supplements for a longer period of time increases the risk of developing renal disorders. This may result in a disease like a kidney stone, renal failure, and impairment of kidneys.
- Blood Pressure: Protein supplements especially whey protein is responsible for lowering blood pressure to dangerous levels that can be life-threatening.
- Weight Gain: If the person takes excessive amounts of protein supplements, then it may also lead them to gain weight and this means gaining fat not muscles. The daily workout does not match with the amount of protein intake then this is used as calories converting it into fat. This fat then starts to get accumulated into the body resulting in rapid weight gain.
- Disturbed Digestive System: Whey protein and casein protein which is one of the popular protein supplements are made from milk. They are high in lactose which is a type of natural sugar found in milk and is not a good choice for people who are lactose intolerant. The excessive amount of protein causes increased movement of the bowel resulting in nausea, bloating, diarrhea and flatulence.
Natural Protein Supplements Provides by Planet Ayurveda
One of the natural ways to gain muscles is herbal supplements provided by Planet Ayurveda. Planet Ayurveda is a company that runs globally and provides herbal medicine as well supplements that are 100 percent pure, vegetarian, and natural. All the supplements are free from chemicals, preservatives, or additives making them free from side-effects and safe to use as well. Planet Ayurveda provides there two main and powerful supplements:
The supplement is packed with herbs like Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris), and Safed Musli (Chlorophytum borivilianum). These supplements not only help you in gaining muscles but also helps you in maintaining good health. Ashwagandha helps in reducing the blood sugar levels, reduces the risk of developing cancer due to its anticancer property, helps in managing stress, and also boost testosterone as well as increases fertility in Men. Shatavari which is the Queen of herbs helps in maintaining the good health of women and also increases immunity, Gokshura is very beneficial for relieving sexual problems and improving reproductive health. Safed Musli in the supplement is great for both Men and Women as it helps in reducing physical weakness.
Usage: – One teaspoonful twice daily or you can also boil it with water.
This supplement is packed with the same herbal products same as Nourish-Maxx and in addition, it contains Soybean (Dolichos soja). Soybean is one of the rich forms of proteins, fibers and free from cholesterol, lactose as well as saturated fat making it the best supplement. This supplement is not soy-based but is a mixture of also herbs making it safe and useful. Nature-Amino along with making strong also is found useful in reducing the risk of developing other health problems like coronary heart disease, stroke and also improves bone health.
Usage: – One teaspoonful twice daily with water or you can also boil it.
It is surely important to consume protein in the diet and also necessary for building the block of life. It is very important in which form you are consuming protein and in how much amount. As discussed above chemical proteins are very harmful to health. So, Planet Ayurveda provides there two best herbal supplements for gym goers that will not only help you to make muscles but will also make you overall healthy. “YES TO MUSCLES NO TO FAT”
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Treatment of Sarcoidosis in Ayurveda with Herbal Remedies - November 20, 2023
- Vibhitaki/Baheda (Terminalia bellirica)- Benefits, Medicinal Uses, Dosage & More - November 18, 2023
- Chylous Ascites Causes Symptoms and Treatment in Ayurveda - October 4, 2023
- Treatment Of Schmidt’s Syndrome in Ayurveda With Herbal Remedies - October 3, 2023
- Treatment Of Epidermolysis Bullosa In Ayurveda With Herbal Remedies - September 30, 2023