Management of Myeloproliferative Neoplasms (MPNs) with Ayurveda
Myeloproliferative neoplasm is blood cancer, where the term cancer comes from, it seems inherently dangerous, but to be affected by any condition and to prevent ourselves from any condition or to manage the condition, it all in our hands. Ayurveda offers various herbal formulations to manage Myeloproliferative Neoplasms. So, to control the condition, adopt Ayurvedic treatment.
Myeloproliferative Neoplasms are basically Blood Cancers that occur due to overproduction of Blood cells in the bone marrow which can thereby create problems in blood flow. This overproduction is due to an abnormal mutation in a stem cell in the bone marrow. Leukemias like Chronic Myelogenous leukemia (CML) are now also considered a part of Myeloproliferative Neoplasms.
Types of MPN’s
- Myelofibrosis (MF)
- Polycythemia Vera (PV)
- Essential Thrombocytopenia (ET)
The types of MPN are classified according to the increase in the number of types of a blood cell.
It is one of the rare kinds of blood cancer.
Age Predilection: People above 50 years of age.
What Is It?
It is a condition in which the body’s bone marrow starts being overactive thereby leads to the formation of scar tissue called fibrosis. The formation of this scar tissue inside the bone marrow impedes the development of blood cells and therefore results in decreased production of blood cells.
- Alternatively, to compensate for decreased blood cell production in bone marrow, both liver and spleen start doing this work.
- However, it is seen that both liver and spleen are not effective in the production of blood cells, therefore, leading to anemia in patients.
- Also, symptoms of splenomegaly may be seen due to holding or retaining RBCs in it rather than releasing it into the bloodstream.
Etiology: Genetic in origin.
Gender Predilection: Men and women are equally affected.
Symptoms Associated with Myelofibrosis
- Bruising easily due to a lack of platelets.
- Chest pains
- Getting infections quickly
- Weight loss
- Night sweats
- Thrombosis( Blood Clots): It increased incidence may lead to heart attack, loss of vision and Transient ischaemic attack, Deep venous thrombosis in legs.
Investigations for Myelofibrosis
- Bone marrow biopsy
- Bone marrow trephine
- Complete Blood Count
- Tests to check genetic abnormalities
It is a slowly progressing blood cancer characterized by overproduction of red blood cells (RBC’s) by the bone marrow thereby resulting in slowing of blood flow due to an increase in a number of red blood cells. Such complications may lead to the formation of blood clots, therefore, leading to a heart attack.
Etiology: This disorder occurs due to genetic mutation however it is generally not inherited.
Symptoms Associated with Polycythemia Vera
- Sweating in excess
- Weight loss
- Numbness in hands, arms, and legs.
- Clinically Splenomegaly and occurrence of Blood clots are seen.
Diagnosis of Polycythemia Vera
- Bone marrow aspiration or biopsy
- Tests to check for gene mutation
- Complete blood tests: to find out an increase in the number of red blood cells.
Essential Thrombocythemia (ET)
- It is also a rare chronic Blood cancer.
- Here there is an overproduction of platelets by megakaryocytes in the bone marrow.
- Therefore there is abnormal blood clotting (Thrombosis).
Etiology: Cause is unknown however Genetic mutation has been found to be the most common etiological factor.
Symptoms Associated with Essential Thrombocythemia
- Loss of consciousness
- Chest pain
- Splenomegaly: mild
- Numbness or tingling of hands and feet
Investigations Required to Diagnose Essential Thrombocythemia
- Complete blood tests
- Bone marrow biopsy
Ayurvedic Treatment by Herbs for Myeloproliferative Neoplasms (علاج الايورفيدا من الأعشاب للأورام تكاثري النخاع)
Ayurvedic Treatment of MPN By Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda provides a vivid variety of natural herbal Ayurvedic formulations for the treatment of Blood Cancers. These formulations basically aim at decreasing the toxin levels of the body thereby increasing the overall immunity of the body. All these formulations provided by Planet Ayurveda are 100% free from any preservatives and any potential side effects
Planet Ayurveda provides a complete package of herbal formulations for the treatment of Blood Cancer namely
1. Ashwagandha Capsules
These capsules are taken from the extract of the herb named W. somniferous (Ashwagandha). This herb has excellent properties of increasing the number of white blood cells, platelets, and various antibodies. Therefore, it increases the cellularity of the bone marrow and also impairs the proliferation of cancer cells in the body. It also provides bodily strength. In addition to this, it also helps in decreasing the overall weakness of the body.
Dosage: 1 capsule two times daily with plain water after meals.
2. Pitta Balance
It balances the 3 doshas of the body and therefore cools the body away from the heat produced by pitta doshas because this heat can be one of the primary reasons for abnormal multiplication of blood cells in the body.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meals.
3. Manjistha Capsules
They are prepared from the extract of Herb called Rubia cordifolia. It helps in the reduction of swelling or inflammation as well as increases immunity. It possesses anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Dosage:1-2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
4. Gandhak Rasayan
It boosts immunity and removes toxins from the body. It has anti-bacterial, antimicrobial, antiviral and anti-fungal properties. In addition to this, it helps to flush out toxins from the body thereby boosting the immune system. It gives relief from inflammation, itching and burning sensation.
Dosage: 2 tablets twice a day with plain water after meals.
5. Swaran Bhasma Tablets
This formulation balances all the 3 doshas and boosts up the immune system. It also improves strength if taken with milk. It helps in purification of blood by the removal of various toxins from the body as well as improves fighting strength of the body against viral infections.
Dosage: 1 tablet daily to be chewed with milk
6. Amalaki Rasayan
This formulation consists of amla (gooseberry) which provides the richest source of vitamins and wards of toxins and infections from the body. These capsules have ant-oxidant properties and therefore helps to eliminate toxins from the body. These are 100% vegetarian capsules that are made up of plant cellulose and thereby contain no chemicals or preservatives.
Dosage: 1-2 capsules twice a day with plain water after meals.
From complete information, it has been concluded that to manage a condition like Myeloproliferative neoplasm, Ayurveda provides the best remedies. And for effective herbal formulations, Planet Ayurveda proves itself to be the best as they offer safe and chemical-free formulations.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment of Trigger Finger - January 23, 2021
- Ayurvedic Treatment for Chaple Syndrome - January 22, 2021
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Arthrosis - January 21, 2021
- Herbal Remedies for Subacute Sclerosing Panencephalitis - January 19, 2021
- What is significance of High CPK Test & its Ayurvedic Management - January 19, 2021