Management of Iselin Disease Through Ayurveda
What is Iselin disease?
Iselin disease is a rare condition that can be very confusing and difficult to distinguish from fracture, sprain or traction apophysitis. It is a painful inflammatory condition of the growth plate (apophysis) of the 5th metatarsal (foot bone) where one of the leg muscles inserts. It is considered as the rare cause of lateral foot pain. The awareness of this entity is important as this condition is often misdiagnosed as a fracture.
In children, the bone grows from the areas known as growth plates and this disease is most often seen in physically active children between the age group of 8-13 years and is most common in children that participate in sports activities such as soccer, basketball, etc. Young athletes are prone to foot injuries from running, jumping as well as sudden stops and starts.
It is an injury caused due to the repetitive pressure or tension on the growth center at the base of the 5th metatarsal. The pressure is generated on the foot due to running and jumping. The clinical features of Iselin’s include focal pain over the proximal head of the 5th metatarsal. It may be a sudden onset or insidious.
What are the signs and symptoms of Iselin Disease?
- There is a pain which is commonly found along with the outer edge of the foot and is worsened with activity.
- Pain generally improves with rest.
- Presence of limp on the affected side.
- The skin of the affected area is swollen, red and tender
Diagnosis and Treatment:
It is diagnosed by physical examination and on clinical basis Sometimes, radiographs are also done to diagnose the condition because it may prove useful in assessing the displacement of the growth center. The radiographic findings must be correlated with clinical symptoms to diagnose it.
Modern treatment prescribes medicines such as Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines (NSAIDs) for relieving pain and inflammation. Treatment also involves ice packs and restriction of sports or physical activities. Severe symptoms may also require cast immobilization.
The failure of conservative management may also require surgical excision of the bone fragment.
How Ayurveda can help in Iselin Disease?
In Ayurveda, Vata dosha is the master of body orchestra. No activity occurs without the initiation of Vata dosha. Vata also controls Pitta, Kapha, and their activities.
According to Ayurveda, pain is the characteristic feature of Vata dosha.
(Reference: Ashtang Hridyam Sutrasthanam/Chapter No. 1/Shlok No. 10)
Meaning: According to this shloka, dryness, lightness, coldness, roughness, minuteness, movements are the qualities of Vata dosha.
Planet Ayurveda offers various herbal formulations which pacify Vata dosha and are anti-inflammatory, act as natural analgesics and their users do not cause any side effects.
Herbal Remedies for Iselin Disease by Planet Ayurveda consist of:
- Ashwagandha Capsules
- Yograj Guggul
- Boswellia Curcumin Capsules
- Orthovita Oil
- Vrihat Vatchintamani Ras
Planet Ayurveda’s Ashwagandha Capsules are prepared using the standardized extract of the herb Withania somnifera. This herb is considered as the powerful herb which is used for providing strength to the muscles and useful in relieving pain. It is classified as Rasayana in Ayurveda and is known to promote physical and mental health. This herb is very useful in Vata related disorders such as muscular pain and also speeds up the recovery process.It also increases the endurance in athletes.
Dose: 1-2 capsules twice daily with plain water after taking meals.
Planet Ayurveda’s Yograj Guggul is prepared using ancient Ayurvedic principles. It is useful preparation for reducing pain and stiffness in the affected joints. It has anti-inflammatory, anti-arthritic, analgesic, anti-spasmodic, muscle relaxant and carminative properties. Therefore, this Ayurvedic preparation is a safe and effective remedy as compared to NSAIDs.
Dose: 1-2 tablets twice daily with plain water after meals.
3.Boswellia Curcumin Capsules
This is a unique product of Planet Ayurveda which is prepared by the combination of two anti-inflammatory herbs such as Boswellia serrata and Curcuma longa. Boswellia serrata is mainly used for the treatment of muscular pain and is considered as a substitute for modern pain killer medicines. It relieves pain and improves the flexibility and mobility of the joints.
Curcuma longa has anti-biotic, anti-inflammatory, analgesic properties which make it a very effective herb for the disorders related to inflammation and pain.
Therefore, Boswellia Curcumin Capsules of Planet Ayurveda are very effective in Iselin Disease.
Dose: 1-2 capsules twice daily with plain water after taking meals.
4. Ortho Vita Oil
Ortho Vita Oil by Planet Ayurveda is a herbal oil which is a blend of different herbs. These herbs support healthy joints and muscles. It also provides strength to the joints and improves mobility, reduces pain, swelling and stiffness Because of its Vata pacifying properties, it acts against degenerative changes of joints and bones.
How to use: Apply gently over the affected area twice a day and do a light massage.
5.Vrihat Vatchintamani Ras
Planet Ayurveda’s Vrihat Vatchintamani Ras is an effective Ayurvedic medicine for the treatment of imbalanced Vata dosha. Chronic pain associated with Iselin disease which does not subside by rest or conservative treatments can be treated by the use of this medicine.
Dose: 1 tablet twice daily with plain water after taking food.
Other useful tips:
- A short period of rest from sports activities, dance, etc. is necessary to reduce inflammation.
- Rest allows the release of pressure on the growth center.
- Applying ice for 10-15 minutes is also very useful in reducing pain and inflammation.
- Stretching can also be done which is beneficial in relieving tension on the growth plate.
How to prevent Iselin Disease?
- You should Proper warm-up of the body before starting any activity. Warm-up exercises for 10 minutes such as walking, cycling increase the circulation to the cold muscles.
- Wearing shoes that fit well and appropriate for the activity.
- If there is a pain, rest is required to allow time for the injured area to heal. If the pain does not resolve after a couple of days, then consult a physician as sooner an injury is identified, the sooner treatment can begin.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Herbal Remedies for Pantothenate kinase-associated neurodegeneration - July 29, 2020
- Natural Treatment for Aspergillus Fumigatus - July 28, 2020
- Natural Treatment for Hidradenitis Suppurativa - July 24, 2020
- Management of Costochondritis in Ayurveda - July 23, 2020
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Arthrogryposis Multiple Congenital Disorder - July 20, 2020