How to Maintain Your Oral Hygiene in the Ayurvedic Way
Oral hygiene is of utmost importance just like other body hygiene and any carelessness shown to maintain it can result in several dental or oral ailments. This write up will be about maintaining oral hygiene in most holistic way, i.e. Ayurvedic way. Yes! You heard it right, Ayurveda along with dealing with diseases and ailments of the body, it also teaches a way to live a healthy life.
Ayurveda is the science of life which means it not only deals with the treatment of diseases but also gives us the holistic and healthy way to live life. Beautiful and healthy teeth and fresh breath is everyone’s desire as they are regarded to be the sign of beauty and vitality. Hence it is necessary to take care of your oral hygiene and prevent various diseases that can occur in absence of good oral care and hygiene.
For example it is given in Ayurvedic texts that to keep breath fresh after eating you must take some spice like clove, fennel or cardamom as these spices not only refreshes the breath but also aids digestion. Similarly there are many things which can be done at home to maintain your oral hygiene and prevent yourself from going to the dentist.
Let’s learn about some major ayurvedic steps that are required to be added in our daily lives in order to maintain our oral hygiene.
- Ayurveda suggests using twigs in place of our regular toothbrush. Most Indians must be aware of the usage of plant twigs for brushing teeth as in old times this method was used by most of the people. Even today people in rural areas use it. Toothbrush no doubt can clean your teeth very properly but twigs on the other hand along with cleaning teeth also possess antibacterial and antimicrobial action which helps in killing the oral microbes and maintain your oral hygiene.
- Secondly, replace your normal toothpaste with herbal gum rub. Your regular toothpaste surely might give you a fresh feeling after brushing your teeth. Also, they possess good taste but amazing properties of natural herbs have no replacement. These herbs are much more effective and healthy for your oral hygiene like mango leaves, guava leaves, rock salt and garlic.
- Thirdly there comes mouthwash. Mouth rinse is designed to give you that instant good breath but don’t you think it is a lot of chemicals for using every now and then. Instead go with the Yashtimadhu or triphala to rinse your mouth, these not only give you long lasting good breath but also prevent oral ulcers as well.
These ayurvedic practices can help you maintain your good oral hygiene much better than western practices, that too naturally without introducing any chemical in your mouth.
Now let us also learn about some basic home remedies that you can do other than mentioned Ayurvedic tips to maintain your oral hygiene.
- Sesame oil is known to possess many amazing medicinal properties hence use this oil in the unrefined and warm condition to prevent cavities, receding gums and sensitivity in teeth. Gargle with sesame oil and hold it for one minute in your mouth and then expel it out.
- Chewing licorice root helps in increasing salivation, promotes secretion in the GIT which aids digestion. It prevents tooth decay and cleans the mouth and teeth.
- Tulsi or holy basil is known to possess multiple medicinal properties which help in treating bleeding gums and also enhances the teeth’s whiteness. Take powdered or dried leaves of tulsi and mix it with mustard oil and use for brushing teeth
- To keep your teeth pearl white, chew the roots of the banyan tree as it possesses astringent properties and it can also be used for brushing teeth.
HERBAL REMEDIES FOR ORAL HYGIENE BY PLANET AYURVEDA
Planet Ayurveda is a well known name in the sphere of herbal pharmaceutical companies. It has been serving the suffering humanity for around two decades with its herbal and organic products and medicines. No chemicals, additives, dye, fillers, preservatives, colors or yeast are present in these products which enhance their efficiency and safety. For Oral hygiene also Planet Ayurveda provides a combination of herbal products called Oral Thrush Care Pack
Oral Thrush Care Pack
- Arjun Saar
- Gum care Powder
- Gandhak Rasayan
- Acido plan Syrup
- Manjishtha Capsule
1. Arjun Saar
This is the herbal preparation of juice of the Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) and Amla (Emblica officinalis). Arjun saar is high in calcium and hence helps in protecting teeth from diseases like pyorrhea. It also helps in maintaining oral hygiene and prevents oral ulcers.
Dosage– Gargle with 20-30 ml of Arjun saar mixed with equal amount of water, twice daily
2. Gum Care Powder
Herbs like Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Twak (Cinnamomum zeylanica), Marich (Piper nigrum), Mustak (Cyperus rotundus) etc are used for the preparation of this herbal powder. Gum care powder helps in fighting oral microbes and prevents oral mucosa. It helps in maintaining good oral hygiene.
Direction– Take 3-6 grams of powder and massage with it on teeth and gums for 2-3 minutes daily and then rinse mouth with lukewarm water
3. Gandhak Rasayan
These multi herbal tablets help in fighting oral bacteria, treat oral abscess and relieves inflammation. Gandhak rasayan is prepared from Shuddha gandhak (Purified sulphur).
Dosage– Take 2 tablets twice daily after meals with plain water
4. Acido Plan Syrup
As the name suggests this herbal syrup helps in neutralizing the acidity in GIT. It prevents excessive production of acid and maintains a healthy pH. Acidity results in bad oral hygiene also hence treating acidity helps in maintaining good oral hygiene as well. Acido plan syrup is prepared from Erand (Carica papaya), Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), Wheat grass (Triticum aestivum), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis) etc.
Dosage– Take 2 teaspoons twice daily after meals with plain water
5. Manjishtha Capsule
Standardized extract of Manjishtha (Rubia cordifolia) is used to prepare these herbal capsules. Manjishtha capsule purifies the blood and boosts the immunity of a person which helps in prevention of various infections, including oral one as well.
Dosage– Take 1 capsule twice daily after meals with plain water
Oral hygiene affects the overall health as well along with being a part of the external personality of a person. Hence it is not only required but necessary to take care of it in order to maintain holistic health. I hope the Ayurvedic tips, home remedies and herbal remedies by Planet Ayurveda will help you people in attaining this goal. Always remember natural and holistic is always better than chemicals and partial!
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Herbal Remedies for Progressive Familial Intrahepatic Cholestasis (PFIC) - September 23, 2023
- HERBS EQUIVALENT TO CYMBALTA IN AYURVEDA - September 4, 2023
- How Can Ayurveda Help In PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian Disease)? – Yoga Tips and Herbal Remedies - September 2, 2023
- Ascites and Its Treatment – Diet and Herbal Remedies - August 29, 2023
- Natural Healing of Chylous Ascites with Herbal Remedies - August 24, 2023