How Ayurveda Can Help In Treating Kawasaki Disease
Kawasaki disease or infantile polyarteritis is an illness affecting children below the age of 5. It is a disease of unknown origin and one of the most dreaded disease in children due to associated heart diseases risk with this disease. Early diagnosis of Kawasaki disease can help the affected child to recover faster without any further complication. But if not found out about this in early phases can lead to coronary artery lesions. However, it a rare disease. It is also termed as mucocutaneous lymph node syndrome due to the changes in the mucous membranes of the mouth and lips along with enlarged lymph nodes.
Usually, it is represented by the high-grade fever for four to five days with following associated complaints:
- Inflammation of eyes with the reddish appearance of the conjunctivae, i.e. conjunctivitis. There is no pus formation in the eyes.
- Swelling and redness of the hands and feet with peeling of the skin.
- Generalized skin rashes
- Swelling of the neck’s lymph nodes
- Inflamed and cracked lips
- Inflammation of throat and strawberry appearance of the tongue.
This is the criteria used to diagnose this disease and if the incomplete picture from the mentioned one is there, it is called as incomplete Kawasaki disease. Sufferers are under the age of 5, usually affecting child approximately 18 months old. Kawasaki disease is the most common acquired cardiovascular disorder in children.
What can be the Causes of the Kawasaki Disease?
The exact cause of Kawasaki disease is not known but the research has shown that abnormalities in genes along with infection of some obnoxious viruses and bacteria cause this disease. Some environmental factors also play an important role in its causation.
In Kawasaki disease, there is inflammation of the blood vessels throughout the body of the patient. Due to this there can be damage to the coronary and other arteries which carries blood to the heart. Other than heart it also affects badly lymph nodes, the lining of the mouth, skin, throat, and nose.
What can be the Signs and Symptoms of the Kawasaki Disease?
It is a disease with a very fast course. Kawasaki disease comes in suddenly and can show heart symptoms as early as within 10-12 days.
As stated in the starting high-grade fever and other symptoms-signs mentioned appears first, associated with other symptoms like:
- Confused mental state
- Running of nose
- Pain in joints
- Pain in the abdomen
- Decreased appetite
- Gingivitis, i.e. ulcerative gum disease
What are the Risk factors for Kawasaki Disease?
Kawasaki disease usually occurs after infections like pneumonia, ear infection, tonsillitis, gastrointestinal infection or urine infection.
What can be the Complications of Kawasaki Disease?
If not treated in early phases, Kawasaki disease can result in various complications like pericarditis, arthritis and meningitis.
Most dreaded complication from them is heart complication. It results because In Kawasaki disease there is inflammation of the arteries which supply to the heart. This may result in aneurysm of the coronary artery resulting in potential heart injury.
If the arteries of the lungs, abdomen and neck get inflamed, cause symptoms like breathing difficulty, the pain in abdomen, and headaches.
How can Kawasaki Disease be Diagnosed?
The criteria described is the main diagnostic tool for this disease. Other than ECG can be used to assist the changes in the heart, blood tests like Erythrocytes sedimentation rate and C-reactive protein test.
Ayurvedic view of Kawasaki disease
Meaning– Common symptoms of heart disease is mentioned in this shloka which are sudden unconsciousness, fever, cough, hiccups, difficulty in breathing, bad taste in the mouth, increased thirst, serious unconsciousness, expectoration, pain in chest and decreased appetite.
Reference- Charak Samhita, Chikitsastahanam, Chapter no. 26, Shloka no. 78
According to Ayurveda inflammation is shotha which is caused due to vitiation of Vata, Pitta and Kapha dosha. Imbalance of these doshas results in weak immunity, results in infections which causes inflammation. Planet Ayurveda, best Ayurvedic clinic in India offers natural treatment of Kawasaki disease through herbal remedies. These herbal remedies are purely Ayurvedic and completely safe for children to take as they are made from pure herbs of the best quality. There are no additives, chemicals, preservatives, dye, additives and fillers.There are no side effects of these herbal remedies.
KAWASAKI CARE PACK:
- Arjun tea (1 Bottle)
- Hridayaasav (1 Bottle)
- Kaishore guggul (1 bottle)
- Arvindasava– It is an herbal syrup prepared from various herbs which act synergistically to boost the immunity of the children and helps to treat various other diseases like cold, cough, indigestion, bloating and intestinal gas. Arvindasava is the best herbal supplement for the children and helps to improve the delayed milestones in children. In Kawasaki disease it helps to boosts the immunity in the children and prevents infections.
Dosage– Take 1 teaspoon twice daily after meals with plain water
- Arjun Tea– This herbal tea is made from all the cardioprotective herbs like Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna), Punarnava (Boerhaviadiffusa), Pipaltvak (Ficus religiosa), Dalchini (Cinnamomumzeylanicum) and Chotielaichi (Elettariacardamomum). Arjun tea helps to maintain the health of the heart as it is rich in Co-enzyme Q10 (a natural enzyme). It strengthens the heart muscles and treats inflammation of the heart and arteries supplying blood to it.
Dosage– Take 1 cup daily
- Hridayasava– This is a herbal asav which is prepared from amazing herbs like shankhpushi, arjuna, giloy, ashwagandha etc. Hridayasava is very beneficial for the heart and helps to treat all kind of heart diseases along with providing strength to the body. It is a rasayana hence helps to rejuvenate the cells throughout the body and treats damage in the body.
Dosage– Take 1 teaspoon daily after meals with plain water
- Kaishore Guggul– These are the herbal tablets prepared from a group of amazing herbs like Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Guggul (Commiphoramukul) etc. It helps to purify the blood and reduces inflammation and swelling of the body and arteries in Kawasaki disease. Joints pain are also relieved by its proper use.
Dosage– Take 1 tablet daily after meals with plain water. For children you can crush the tablet and mix in syrup to administer it.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- What is The Best Treatment for Sarcoidosis? - July 9, 2021
- Herbal Remedies for Deviated Nasal Septum - July 5, 2021
- How to Treat Seborrheic keratosis in Ayurveda? - July 2, 2021
- Arachnoiditis, Symptoms, Causes and Ayurvedic Treatment - June 24, 2021
- Transverse Myelitis Treatment in Ayurveda with Herbal Remedies - June 21, 2021