Fatty Liver – Ayurvedic Treatment
In today’s world liver infections and fatty liver disease are major problems and fat accumulation in the liver due to excessive fat and excessive alcohol intake. Fatty liver has two types, alcoholic and non-alcoholic aspects. NAFD is a type of fatty liver which does not occur due to heavy alcohol intake. NASH is a type of fatty liver which is not alcohol induced but damages liver cells and leads to cirrhosis of the liver.
Liver is the largest gland in the body, weighing about 1-2 kg in males and about 1.5 kg in females approx. It is situated in the right hypochondrium just lower to the last floating rib in the abdominal cavity. Liver consists of hepatic cells which help to secrete bile which help to break down fats in the small intestine and in the stomach. Liver also helps to absorb cholesterol, nutrients and electrolytes.
As per modern medicine science, following are the causes of fatty liver
- Due to excessive alcohol intake.
- Due to excessive intake of high fatty food.
As per ayurveda, Liver or yakrit is the main source of pit. It helps to digest tikshna agni and it also helps to digest food and helps in deepana pachana.
ACC TO SHARANGADHARA ACHARYA
Yakrit or liver is a sthan of pitta and ras ka ranjan is done in hridaya which helps to digest food and maintain dhatu.
- Always intake of guru ahara(heavy diet)
- Vishama bhojana (intake of less food)
- Atibhojana (intake of excessive food)
- Ati drut bhojana (eating fast)
ACC TO ASHTANG HRIDYA ACHARYA
Vishesh sthan of pitta is amashya (stomach) which helps to digest heavy food particles.
SIGN AND SYMPTOMS
As per modern, Initially ALD and NAFLD do not respond to any kind of signs and symptoms.but in a few stages it shows following signs and symptoms.
- Paleness of skin
- Eyes get yellowish
- Belly enlargement
- Enlarged blood vessels
But in Ayurveda, Pitta is the main cause and regulates signs and symptoms. According to ayurvedic acharyas, this disease is explained under KUMBH KAMALA and HALIMAKA.
(Reference of shlok kamala ch no charak chikitsa 16/34)
(Ref of shlok halimala ch no charak chikitsa 16/132 )
Most risk factors are mainly found in old age patients due to being overweight so to reduce these risk factors, patients should follow a balanced diet plan recommended by a doctor.
- Overweight (body mass index 25-30)
- Elevated triglycerides level
- History of blood sugar levels
- Metabolic syndromes
There are some general preventions which help to reduce the risk factors of fatty liver which plays a crucial role in preventions.
- Avoid over eating
- Avoid beverages that contain preservatives
- Avoid high cholesterol and lipid full diet like ghee and milk products that is butter and curd
- Lower the triglycerides
- Eat balanced and healthy diet
- Avoid alcohol intake
- Drink water in copper vessel
- Reduce high intake of calories
Most probably NAFLD causes no symptoms in starting stages . Usually it came to be known in further liver function tests. These tests should be done on pinpoint recommendation as per doctor.
- Complete blood count
- Liver function test and liver enzymes
- Lipid profile test which includes to know about triglycerides and cholesterol
- Tests for hepatitis A,B,C Hepatitis B are common
- Magnetic resonance electrography(MRI) imaging showing the stiffness of the body tissue.
- Ultrasonography (USG) is often a first test performed on a fatty liver.
- Endoscopy shows the damaged liver tissue.
- Liver biopsy — procedure performed by inserting a needle in liver.
- Transient electrography -it is the enhanced form of ultrasonography which helps to measure the stiffness of liver tissues.
Main complication of fatty liver is cirrhosis of the liver . It may lead to injury to the liver. Fluid accumulation in the peritoneal cavity is cirrhosis of the liver. Other complications include:-
- Esophageal varicosity in which the veins get swollen, ruptured and bleed.
- Drowsiness and slurred speech.
- In females, polycystic ovarian syndrome.
Gradually there is no medication to treat NAFLD depending on the grade of liver that is grade1, grade2, grade3. Usually alcoholic fatty liver disease damages the liver cells that are hepatocytes and it can be treated to reduce alcohol consumption. In grade 3 fatty liver may be treated with medication and surgery. There are some other treatment modalities, which includes:-
- Eating a balanced diet.
- Antioxidants—increase level of oxidative and lipid peroxidation helps to lower risk of fatty liver.
- Vitamin E plays a very essential role to treat NAFLD.
- Lipid lowering drugs.
Ayurveda is an ancient medicine science which gives us holistic healing. Let’s have a look at classical treatment for fatty liver by our different acharyas.
(Reference – charaka chikitsa ch 16/135,136,134)
(Reference – charaka chikitsa ch 16/124)
- Kutki churna (picrorhiza kurroa).
- Harda churna (terminalia chebula) – Haritaki churna should be given to nitya virechana for extraction of doshas which helps to reduce more infection.
- As per acharya charak- In halimka buffalo ghrita is used with one fourth of guduchi swarasa and also one fourth of buffalo milk . Then after intake of ghrita amwala swarasa is used with nishoth churna. Then after these medications virechana should be done then the patient should be on vata pitta nashaka and madhur ras pradhana ahara. Then after this the patient should be on draksha awaleha and madhura dravya sidh pradhan ghrit. Now after this all yapna wasti and last for digestive fire use various arishta.
- Shilajatu vatak (bitumen mineral)- This is a classical ayurvedic formulation prepared using purified shilajit (Asphaltum). It has inflammatory properties as required to treat fatty liver disease. AS per acharya charak, Swaran shilajit is best to use in this formulation as it is one of the four types of it.
- Swarnamakshik Yoga
- Gomutra haritaki (According to acharya charaka)
Now after classical management, please have a look at what planet ayurveda prepares for fatty liver and other liver disorders.
HERBAL REMEDIES BY PLANET AYURVEDA
Planet Ayurveda is a hub of pure ayurvedic medicine and formulations in each and every context of the disease. It provides a formulation which is long lasting and has fast relief. The formulations provided by Planet Ayurveda are classical and all are patent.The formulations provided by Planet Ayurveda are effective and natural and 100% side effect free. Following are the products described by Planet Ayurveda for the management of fatty liver.
- Yakrit Plihantak Churna
- Livoplan Syrup
- Liver Detox Formula
1. Yakrit Plihantak Churna), Katuki (Picrorhiza kurroa), Makoy (Solanum indicum), Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), Kalmegh (Andrographis paniculata), Kaasni (Cichorium intybus), Sharpunkha (Tephrosia purpurea) and Bhringraj (Eclipta alba). This is very useful in all the liver anomalies. This herbal powder helps in the treatment of liver cirrhosis, fatty liver, spleenomegaly, hepatitis B, etc.
Dosage: 1 teaspoonful twice a day before meals with warm water or decoction method.
2. Livoplan Syrup
This is a herbal syrup that contains herbs such as Bhringraj (Eclipta alba), Sharpunkha (Tephrosia purpurea), Kalmegh (Andrographis paniculata), Shyonak (Oroxylum indicum), Rohitaka (Tecomella undulata), Bhumiamla (Phyllanthus niruri), Patol (Trichosanthes diocia), Kasni (Cichorium intybus), etc. These herbs regenerate the liver cells and protect the liver from toxins. It eliminates the toxins from the liver and provides a healthy liver function.
Dosage: 2 tsp twice a day after meals.
3. Liver Detox Formula
Dosage: 1 capsule twice a day after meals with warm water.
Fatty liver is curable and has very good medicines in ayurveda as per acharya charaka said about agni that basically about tikshna agni that when kafa reduces then vata and pitta get higher then only pitta acts on digestive fire only so to maintain this cycle planet ayurveda describes the natural and pure 100% treatment about fatty liver. In allopathy there is no permanent cure for fatty liver but planet ayurveda gives permanent cure to fatty liver medicines prescribed by planet ayurveda totally act on all agni, that is mridu,madhya and tikshana.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- SARCOIDOSIS ALTERNATIVE AND NATURAL TREATMENT IN AYURVEDA - November 29, 2023
- ENLARGED PROSTATE GLAND OR PROSTATE ENLARGEMENT – ALTERNATIVE TREATMENT WITH NATURAL REMEDIES - November 24, 2023
- PARONYCHIA (NAIL INFECTION) – OVERVIEW, SYMPTOMS, CAUSES AND TREATMENT - November 24, 2023
- AYURVEDIC REMEDIES AND NATURAL TREATMENT FOR HEMOPHAGOCYTIC LYMPHOHISTIOCYTOSIS - November 23, 2023
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Tourette Syndrome - November 22, 2023