Equine Influenza Respiratory Disease of Horses- Treatment in Ayurveda
Horses are not just pets, they are magnificent creatures that can capture our hearts with their beauty and grace. As pets, horses can bring a unique sense of joy and companionship to their owners. However, it’s important to remember that horses require special care to keep them healthy and happy. Proper nutrition, regular exercise, and medicinal care are essential to maintaining a horse’s health. Horse owners must also be aware of potential health issues such as colic, laminitis, and equine influenza. Today, in this article we are going to discuss Equine influenza, its causes, symptoms and ayurvedic management to help your companion.
Equine Influenza is a respiratory disease that can affect horses and other equidae, and is caused by two subtypes of the influenza A virus. Although related to other influenza viruses, the strains that cause equine influenza are unique to horses. The virus is highly contagious and can spread easily through contact with infected horses or contaminated equipment, such as clothing, brushes, and tack. Some horses may not display any symptoms of infection but can still shed the virus and infect other horses. Outbreaks of equine influenza can lead to significant economic losses in the equine industry, especially in settings where large groups of horses gather, such as shows, races, and events. The risk of outbreaks is increased by the transportation of horses across state lines and international borders, which can facilitate the spread of the virus.
Equine Influenza is caused due to two subtypes of Influenza A viruses Orthomyxoviridae family
1 to 3 days, virus lives on the surface or in atmosphere for about 1 and half day and is easily susceptible to cleanings and disinfectants.
Clinical findingsMajor findings are written below –
- When a horse gets this infection, they get a high fever, a runny nose, swollen glands, and a harsh cough.
- The horse may feel tired, not want to eat, muscle pain and feel weak.
- Usually, these symptoms go away in less than three days.
- The virus attacks the cells in the horse’s respiratory system, which can cause damage to their trachea and bronchial tubes.
- The cough can last for a few weeks and the runny nose can become worse if bacteria also infect the horse.
- Horses who are only mildly sick usually recover within two or three weeks. Horses who are very sick might take as long as six months to recover.
- It takes about three weeks for the horse’s respiratory system to fully heal. During this time, the horse is more likely to get secondary infections, like pneumonia or bronchitis.
- To prevent complications, it’s important to limit the horse’s exercise, keep their stable clean, and make sure they have good ventilation.
- Serious complications like vasculitis, myositis, and myocarditis are rarely seen.
Prevention and control
- Humans cannot catch this condition, but they can carry the virus on their skin, hair, cloth, and shoes if they come in contact with infected horses.
- It’s important to take a shower and wash your hair, and change into clean clothes (including shoes) after staying in contact with infected ones, even if he is your own.
- The virus can also stick to things like equipment and vehicles, so it’s important to clean and disinfect them too.
In Modern medicines, Experts advise the rest and supportive care to the infected ones. NSAIDs are prescribed, Antibiotics, and vaccinations. Since the strains of virus causing equine influenza (EI) can differ, it can be challenging to match the vaccine to the circulating strains. Therefore, while vaccination can help reduce the severity of the disease and shorten recovery times, it may not always prevent infection. Nonetheless, vaccination remains an important tool for protecting horses against EI and reducing its impact on their health.
In Ayurvedic medicine, its treatment is mentioned in Pashu Chikitsa part
Pashu Chikitsa is the branch of Ayurveda that deals with the health and well-being of animals. It involves the use of natural remedies and holistic therapies to diagnose and treat various ailments and disorders in animals, including cows, horses, goats, and others. Ayurvedic practitioners focus on restoring the balance to the animal’s body and mind. The goal of Pashu chikitsa is to promote the overall health and longevity of the animal, with a healthy diet and herbal supplement.
Planet Ayurveda is a place where you can find proper assistance and help for your pet to recover from this condition.
Herbal Remedies from Planet Ayurveda for equine influenza
Planet Ayurveda is a company that specializes in Ayurvedic products and formulations, and they offer a range of herbal supplements, powders, and other remedies that may be helpful for various health conditions. However, it’s important to note that herbal remedies should be used under the guidance of a qualified healthcare provider. If you have a specific health concern and are interested in using Ayurvedic remedies, I recommend consulting with a licensed Ayurvedic practitioner or a healthcare provider who is knowledgeable about Ayurveda to determine the most appropriate treatment plan for your individual needs. Planet Ayurveda is the best place to visit for any condition. Here are some herbal products that can help you in this condition
- Vasaka Capsules
- Aller-G Care
- Tulsi Capsules
- Praanrakshak Churna
- Curcumin Capsules
1. VASAKA CAPSULES
Planet Ayurveda prepared a single herbal formulation consisting of Vasa Adhatoda vasica. The best thing about vasa herb is it has coolant properties and still helps in sustaining respiratory illnesses. Malabar nut is its common name in English and helps in balancing the kapha and pitta dosha, is categorized under shwashar, kasahar, kanthya groups.
Dosage : 4 Capsules twice daily, with meals.
2. ALLER-G CARE
This is a patent herbal formulation consisting of four miraculous herbs haridra Curcuma longa, Neem Azadirachta indica, shirish Albezzia lubbock, ashwagandha Withania somnifera. These four herbs are helpful in improving respiratory ailments, having antihistamine, anti-microbial, disinfectant effects, and improves muscle weakness too.
Dosage: 4 Capsules twice daily, with meals.
3. TULSI CAPSULES
A single herbal formulation prepared by classical method with standardized extract of tulsi Ocimum sanctum which comes under Lamiaceae family. Helpful in balancing the kapha and vata dosha. Acharya mentioned this herb as krumihara, kasahara, shwashara, and maintains the overall health of the body.
Dosage: 2 Capsules twice daily, with meals.
4. PRAANRAKSHAK CHURNA
This is a patented powerful herbal powder blend prepared by classical method and consisting of herbs that are used as antimicrobial and disinfectant in this disease. Anantmool Hemidesmus indicus, vaasa Adhatoda vasica etc are the main contents in this formulation. Acharyas mentioned these herbs in Kasahar group of medicines.
Dosage: 5 gms twice daily, with meals.
5. CURCUMIN CAPSULES
A patent single herbal capsule prepared by classical method in Planet Ayurveda used as standardized extract of haridra Curcuma longa as a main ingredient. His herb is famous for its varnya properties, works as immuno modulator, helps in balancing all the three doshas and disturbed dhatus.
Dosage: 4 Capsules twice daily, with meals.
Contact Planet Ayurveda Support Team to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – email@example.com or Call at 0172-521-4030 (India), +91-172-521-4030 (Outside India) or Whatsapp at (+91) 9915-593-604
Equine influenza is a fatal respiratory disease of horses and is caused by Influenza A virus. In Ayurveda its management is written as we have discussed in the article. All the herbs that are used in the treatment are 100% effective and give great results in various conditions.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Vestibular Hypofunction – Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment - September 28, 2023
- CONCEPT OF AGNI AND HEALTH ISSUES DUE TO LOW DIGESTIVE FIRE? - September 28, 2023
- Chlamydia Trachomatis Causes, Symptoms, And Herbal Treatment - September 28, 2023
- NATURAL AYURVEDIC REMEDIES FOR ODONTALGIA (TOOTHACHE) - September 26, 2023
- STING ASSOCIATED VASCULOPATHY WITH ONSET IN INFANCY (SAVI) - September 26, 2023