Ayurvedic Treatment of Ankylosing Spondylitis
The main focus of this article is Ankylosing Spondylitis. This article includes symptoms, causes, risk factors, complications, treatments, natural home remedies, and herbal remedies. It is a serious illness that affects the joints, muscles, and bones with inflammation. It generally attacks the spinal cords of the back and causes stiffness in spines and neck bones. Aggression, weight loss, continuous pain in bones, early morning stiffness and pain in backaches, bad body postures are symptoms of Ankylosing Spondylitis. Although there is no such cause known for Ankylosing Spondylitis and it is found that Ankylosing Spondylitis is due to genetic problems. Treatments are also not available. So, it is recommended to consult a doctor for reducing the pain and its various effects. Home remedies are also mentioned in the article. Planet Ayurveda provides herbal remedies which are useful in treating Ankylosing Spondylitis. The products are safe and made with natural herbs that have no side effects.
Ankylosing Spondylitis is a type of inflammatory disease that affects the large joints and bones. As it is an inflammatory disease that fuses the small bones of spines. It generally affects the back by causing major inflammatory changes in the on spine region. Newborn babies are also affected by Ankylosing Spondylitis. This may result in deformity. In other parts of the body, it may cause pain and stiffness. Other large joints like hips, shoulders, and hips can be involved as well. Ankylosing Spondylitis is sometimes known as spondyloarthritis. It generally occurs in the spinal cord. This disease also affects the rib cage, back and neck by stiffness and pain.
Ankylosing Spondylitis usually occurs at the age of 20. In order to give a response to the inflammation, our body generally produces the extra calcium across the spinal bones. This creates the possibility of the generation of extra bone and causes more pain and stiffness in the neck and back. In serious cases, the spines may curve more forward due to this. We can reduce this effect by taking proper medical treatment, keeping us updated about the diseases, and also trying to be in good posture. This disease generally attacks the back and neck. Yet, it is difficult to find the cause of Ankylosing Spondylitis. But according to researchers, it is due to heredity or genes.
Conditions Related to Ankylosing Spondylitis
Another name of Ankylosing Spondylitis is spondyloarthritis. It is the combination of a group of conditions having similar symptoms. These are mentioned below:
- The non-radiographic axial spondyloarthritis-The main symptom is linked with Ankylosing Spondylitis. Non-radiographic axial spondyloarthritis also causes pain and stiffness in the neck and back. On X-ray, there won’t be any changes to the back. But some people who suffered from this situation will later be diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Psoriatic spondyloarthritis is also a form of psoriatic arthritis and it can occur on the skin like it is long-lasting patches on the skin of people with red color.
- Spondyloarthritis is a type of disease which is related to the digestive system like the intestine.
- Enthesitis is a type of disease in children with inflammation in entheses, where ligaments are connected to bones.
- In the early morning, pain and stiffness in the lower back for 20 minutes and maybe throughout the day.
- At night, extreme pain which affects a person’s sleep cycle.
- Pain behind the thighs.
- The problem of Ankylosing Spondylitis arises from common backaches. But the pain during the Ankylosing Spondylitis lasted a long time.
- Sometimes, people have pain in the neck, thigh, shoulder, etc. But it is more painful when active for a long time. Like people who are doing the sitting jobs have pain and stiffness due to sitting on a chair in one position throughout the day.
- Ankylosing Spondylitis causes stiffness and pain in spinal cords. It affects the spines and causes difficulties while doing activities like, bending, turning, and twisting.
- Swelling and pain in fingers or toes.
- Uncomfortable while sitting.
- Aggression, stress, anxiety, depression.
- Swelling near eyes. Uncomfortable to see the objects and things in bright light.
- Weight loss.
- Poor postures. If it seems worse and worse then immediately consult a doctor. It helps to reduce the pain.
Ankylosing Spondylitis has no known cause. But according to research, it is due to genetic factors. If one of your parents or siblings has Ankylosing Spondylitis, then it is confirmed that it is more than twenty percent present in your body.
- Family history: It is a risk factor if it is present in genes.
- Sex: According to studies, Ankylosing Spondylitis is more in males than females.
- Age: Ankylosing Spondylitis occurs in early adulthood or in late adolescence.
In the serious illness of Ankylosing Spondylitis, if our body attempts to heal then-new bones are formed to cover the gap between the vertebrae and it results in the fuses of bones. The parts of the spines may become stiff. The fusion of bones also stiffs the rib cage, blocks the functions of the lungs. Bones of the back may also fuse together and generate the fear of fracturing in back.
Complications may also include:
- Compression fractures.
- Eye Inflammation.
- Problems related to heart.
- Difficulties while breathing.
There is no such treatment present for Ankylosing Spondylitis. But there are some pain relief treatments that help a lot. So, consult a doctor immediately if anyone shows such symptoms that are mentioned above. Symptoms can be reduced with proper medication and care. Treatments are depending upon how bad the condition is.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen and naproxen are used in order to reduce pains and swellings. It is a long-lasting drug with safe complications (1).
- With the dosage of NSAIDs, if a person does not get relief from pain then the doctor prescribed another stronger medicinal drug that is Corticosteroids. It is an inflammation fighter that provides relief from pain in very little time.
- Tumor Necrosis Factor Inhibitors (TNF) are medicinal drugs that totally remove swelling from our bodies. This is useful in joint stiffness and pain. It is more effective than NSAIDs.
- Disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs) are used to slow down the process of diseases that enter our body with worse symptoms.
- If anyone has damage in the knee joint or in the hip joint then, immediate surgery is necessary.
- Blood tests are also important to find inflammation.
Natural treatments are also helpful in order to treat Ankylosing Spondylitis. Natural remedies can do anywhere at any time. These are:
- Exercise: Exercising is very helpful in order to provide strength to our muscles and joints. It may relax the muscles and somehow, relax the symptoms of Ankylosing Spondylitis. Consult a physical-therapist that makes you more clearly about correct exercise with safety measures. Daily yoga is also very much effective.
- Stretching: Due to stretching, the joints feel more relaxed and flexible. It also improves strength and reduces pain.
- Posture training: Due to bad posture, stiffness occurs. So all the joints and bones fuse together and may lead to Ankylosing Spondylitis. This can be reduced by following strict posture training daily. Practicing a good posture may decrease the stiffness in your back.
- Heat and cold therapy: Heating pads and hot baths can relax our body. It may reduce the stiffness and pain of the spines. Cold therapies like ice, ice packs are used to reduce the swelling of the joints.
- Massage therapy: Massage therapy is effective in order to provide relaxation to our joints, maintains flexibility, and increases the motion range. If you are going to a massage therapist then, tell him that you are Ankylosing Spondylitis. So, he can be more careful about the joints in your body during the massage.
Home Remedies for Ankylosing Spondylitis
People who are suffering from Ankylosing Spondylitis are also recommended a proper diet with medications side by side. So, there are some home remedies that are mentioned below and these are beneficial in treating the Ankylosing Spondylitis.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: If people suffering from Ankylosing Spondylitis then, there is a chance of swelling in bones. So, doctors suggest adding omega-3 fatty acids in your diet. In order to reduce swellings, Omega-3 fatty acids are very useful. The good source of omega-3 fatty acids are chia seeds, flaxseed oil, fatty fish, walnuts, etc.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables: Fresh fruits and vegetables are full of vitamins and minerals. Due to the presence of antioxidant properties in fruits and vegetables, they help our body to fight against diseases.
- Whole grains: Add whole grains in your diet on a daily basis. It includes brown rice, oatmeal, buckwheat, etc. these all are rich in fiber and nutrients. It helps to reduce swelling.
- Calcium-rich fruits: Due to Ankylosing Spondylitis, the bones become weaker. That is why calcium is important for our body. Calcium provides strength to our bones. The good source of calcium is Chinese cabbage, broccoli, low-fat dairy products, fortified tofu, etc.
- Vitamin D: It is useful to maintain our body. It provides strength by allowing our body to absorb calcium for healthy bones. Sun is a good source of vitamin D. Foods that also provide vitamin D are egg yolk, cod liver oil, seafood, cereals, tofu, fish, etc.
- Garlic, ginger, and turmeric: These all are home remedies to reduce swellings due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
Foods and diet to avoid in Ankylosing Spondylitis:
- High fat foods.
- Omega-6 fatty foods like red meat, pastries, processed food, mayonnaise, etc
- High-sodium foods.
- Starch rich food like bread, pasta, potatoes, etc.
- Wheat and gluten such as barley, rye, etc
- Consumption of alcohol and tobacco.
Herbal Remedies for Treating Ankylosing Spondylitis
Planet Ayurveda offers a Joint Support Package in order to reduce pain and stiffness in joints. It helps to support the movement of bones but if Ankylosing Spondylitis arises this may create complications like bone fusion, spines pain, weakness in the body, swellings, reduced muscle strength, etc. So, there are some herbal remedies that can help in treating Ankylosing Spondylitis.
1. Curcumin Capsules
It helps in reducing swellings during its inflammatory properties. The herb contains turmeric which is used in treating injuries and swellings. So, it helps in treating joint pains during Ankylosing Spondylitis.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice, in a day after meals.
2. Bone support capsules
Like its name, it implies the herbal supplement that is good for joints and bones. Ingredients include shudh laksha, suhanjana beej, hadjod, praval pishti, and mukta.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice, in a day.
3. Joint Aid Plus
It is also helpful in treating the pain of joints. Due to its antioxidant and inflammatory properties, this herb formulation reduces the pain and swelling associated with Ankylosing spondylitis in joints.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice, in a day.
4. Coral Calcium Complex
This herb may be used in the formation of calcium for joint pains. The ingredients are made with the compounds of calcium which is very effective in order to reduce the pain in joints. Ingredients include Praval pishti, akik pishti, and kamdudha. This herb is very helpful in providing strength to the bones and muscles.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice, in a day (1 bottle contains 60 capsules).
Ankylosing Spondylitis is a serious illness. It will grow with time and show its worse effects. It is a chronic disease that has no treatment yet. It causes stiffness and pain in the back, neck and other body muscles. To reduce the effect of Ankylosing Spondylitis, proper diet, doing exercise, therapies, etc must follow. Consult a doctor immediately, if medical treatment does not help in reducing the pain. There are some homemade remedies that are also very effective and are mentioned above. In order to reduce it, Planet Ayurveda offers a Joint Support Package with herbal products. The products are natural and safe. They are free of chemicals and preservative henceg cause no side effects.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- What is The Best Treatment for Sarcoidosis? - July 9, 2021
- Herbal Remedies for Deviated Nasal Septum - July 5, 2021
- How to Treat Seborrheic keratosis in Ayurveda? - July 2, 2021
- Arachnoiditis, Symptoms, Causes and Ayurvedic Treatment - June 24, 2021
- Transverse Myelitis Treatment in Ayurveda with Herbal Remedies - June 21, 2021