Ayurvedic Management Of ACL Injury Or Meniscus Tear
The knee joint is the largest joint in Human body which makes it more susceptible to injury. There are two most common sports related injuries to the knees. These two are injuries to the meniscus, or cartilage, or to the ACL(anterior cruciate ligament). The meniscus is a very important structure of the knee joint as it is responsible for acting as an absorber and helps in distributing weight between the upper and lower legs. On the other hand, the ACL is a band of tissue that runs through the middle of your knee and hence is responsible for providing structural support to the knee during twisting and intense activities. Even being completely different structures, injuries to both can occur at the same time. In this article we are going to mainly discuss ACL injury and Meniscus tear in detail and also about its Ayurvedic management.;
An ACL injury is understood as an injury or a tear or sprain to the anterior cruciate ligament. Anterior cruciate ligament is one of the strongest bands of tissue that is responsible for connecting thigh bone that is femur to shin bone, commonly known as tibia. ACL injuries occur commonly during sports activities which involve sudden spots or changes in direction, jumping, and landing such as soccer, basketball, etc.
Same as ACL tear, most of the mechanisms of injury to meniscus are of non-contact nature. These occur while cutting, decelerating, or landing from a jump. The specific mechanism which is responsible for meniscus tear can be divided into two categories. They are based on abnormally large forces on a normal meniscus resulting in radial tear, and normal forces resulting in horizontal tear usually in the posterior half of the meniscus.
The ACL is one of the two ligaments that cross in the middle of the knees and connects your thigh bone to your shinbone. It also helps in stabilizing your knee joint. ACL injuries often happen during sports and fitness activities which generally put pressure on knees.
Some causes for the injury are mentioned below
- Suddenly slowing down and changing direction
- Landing awkwardly from a jump
- Stopping suddenly
- Receiving a direct blow to the knee or having a collision, such as a football tackle
- The meniscus can be torn during activities that cause direct contact or pressure from a forced twist or rotation.
- A sudden turn, deep squatting, or heavy lifting can lead to injury.;
- Many athletes are at risk for a meniscus tear. Sports that include or require swift turns and stops may put them at high risk for a meniscus tear like in football, lacrosse and basketball.
- Generally when the ligament is damaged or tears, there is usually a partial or complete tear of the tissue.
Symptoms of a meniscus tear include physical difficulty related to local areas. They are as following:
- Pain, especially when the area is touched
- Swelling And difficulty moving your knee or inability to move it in a full range
- The Deep feeling of your knee locking and catching repeatedly.
- Recurrent sudden feeling of falling as your knee is giving way or unable to support you.
Symptoms of an ACL injury are
- Popping sensation in the knee joint. This sensation can be unilateral or bilateral as well.
- Increased severity of pain and inability to continue the activity
- Swelling on the knee Area.
- Range motion is lost
- A feeling of instability or giving way with weight-bearing
The Complications of ACL injury are many but let’s talk about the most common complications
Osteoarthritis: Patients suffering or suffered from ACL injury have a higher risk of developing osteoarthritis affecting the knee joint. Arthritis can occur even if you have surgery to reconstruct the ligament. In Addition, multiple factors are responsible for putting patients at risk of arthritis which includes the severity of the original injury, the presence of related injuries on the knee joint, or the level of activity after treatment.
The complication of meniscus tear can include
A feeling of your knee giving way, inability to move your knee normally, or persistent knee pain. You might develop osteoarthritis in the injured knee.
The Risk factors for ACL injuries include
- Poor condition of joint
- Using faulty movement patterns, such as moving the knees inward during squats or wearing footwear that doesn’t fit properly
- Using poorly maintained sports equipment, such as ski binding that isn’t adjusted properly
- Playing on artificial turf
Meniscus tear risk factors includes
- Performing activities that always involve aggressive twisting and pivoting of the knee which increases the risk of tearing.
- Risk is high for athletes especially those who participate in contact sports, such as football, or activities that involve pivoting such as tennis
- Wear and tear on your knees as your age increases the risk of a torn meniscus.
ACL Injury Diagnosis
During the physical examination, the knee is examined for swelling and tenderness. The comparison is generally done with your uninjured knee. The knee is moved into a variety of positions to range the motion.
The tests generally done are as follows
- X-ray: X-ray is needed to rule out a bone fracture
- MRI: A MRI can show the extent of an ACL injury and the sign of damage to the other tissue.
- USG (Ultrasonography)
Meniscus Injury Diagnosis
A torn meniscus often can be identified during a physical exam and watch your walk and ask you to squat to pinpoint the cause of your sign and symptoms.
The tests generally performed are
- X-ray: X-ray can help rule out other problems with the knee that cause similar symptoms
- MRI: Done to detect a torn meniscus
According to modern science there is no permanent treatment for the condition and this condition generally can be managed using corticosteroids like prednisone which will help in reducing inflammation. But in addition, Long-term use of this medicine will lead to the risk of developing side effects. But there are some Ayurvedic herbs which can help in naturally healing and reducing inflammation. These herbs can also help in making the condition and working of the knee better.
Herbal formulations for ACL injury by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is a leading Ayurvedic firm which deals with the manufacturing of herbal formulations. These formulations are prepared using potent herbs who are really effective in managing many conditions related to bones and joints. The formulations prepared by Planet Ayurveda do not contain any kind of adulterants, dyes, additives, fillers etc. These medications are really potent to manage various conditions related to bones, joints especially and are very fruitful hence giving positive noticeable results.
The medication or formulations offered by Planet Ayurveda for the management of is as follows
- Boswellia curcumin
- RumoGin 5 capsules
- Yograj guggul
- Joint aid plus
1. Boswellia Curcumin
Boswellia Curcumin is filled with anti-inflammatory properties as it contains two very effective herbs which are Shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and Curcumin (Curcuma longa). These both are really good as the best agents for reducing inflammatory conditions. Both of them are helpful in inflammation of the muscles, bones and tendons. They work by improving circulation and also contain analgesic properties that help in treating pain in the affected area.
Dosage: Two capsules twice a day after meals with lukewarm water.
2. RumoGin 5 Capsules
This formulation is prepared from herbs like Haridra (Curcuma longa), Shallaki (Boswellia serrata), Maricha (Piper nigrum), Sonth (Zingiber officinale), and Pippali (Piper longum). Overall the formulation is very beneficial in treating muscles or bone disorders as it helps in reducing pain as well as feeling of fatigue. It also helps in relaxing the muscles and treating spasms. Rumogin will also reduce the swelling or inflammatory conditions related to muscles and joints
Dosage: One capsule twice a day after meals with lukewarm water.
3. Yograj Guggul
Yograj guggul is prepared from herbs like Guggulu (Commiphora Mukul), Pippali (Piper longum), Chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica), Jeera (Cuminum cyminum), Mustaka (Citrus rotundus), and many more. This is a classical formulation which is effective in management of stiffness, joint pain, and swelling as well. It is also very useful in treating ailments like fever, weakness, inflammation of blood vessels, and many more.
Dosage: Two tablets twice a day after meals daily after meals.
Nourish-maxx is a health supplement which is basically used to strengthen the muscles and thus helps in supporting the whole skeleton system. The formulation has ingredients like shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Safed Musli (Chlorophytum borivilianum) and Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris). It helps to nourish the whole body and is free from chemicals, preservatives, color, and yeast containing age-old herbs.
Dosage: Half tsp twice a day after meals with lukewarm water.
5. Joint Aid Plus
Joint aid plus is one of the best herbal combinations containing herbs like Shallaki (Boswellia serrata), Nirgundi (Vitex negundo), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), and many other herbs. All these herbs help in reduction of the inflammation and management of painful conditions of bones. These capsules are also very beneficial in purifying the blood and also helps istrengthening the bones as well as muscles.
Dosage: One capsule twice a day after meals with lukewarm water.
Contact my assistant to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – email@example.com or call at +91-172-5214030 Or Check Website – www.PlanetAyurveda.com
The injuries obviously can be well managed but their cure is not really possible. Going for corticosteroids can give initial relief but it is very difficult to have them for a long or forever term. They do have many side effects and might hamper some really important metabolic functions. To avoid such things and also for the management of your condition well one must opt for Ayurvedic formulations. The above mentioned products can be really helpful in making this thing possible and are really effective in supporting and strengthening knees, its muscles and ligaments. In case of any query kindly visit WWW.PlanetAyurveda.com/p>
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Vestibular Hypofunction – Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment - September 28, 2023
- CONCEPT OF AGNI AND HEALTH ISSUES DUE TO LOW DIGESTIVE FIRE? - September 28, 2023
- Chlamydia Trachomatis Causes, Symptoms, And Herbal Treatment - September 28, 2023
- NATURAL AYURVEDIC REMEDIES FOR ODONTALGIA (TOOTHACHE) - September 26, 2023
- STING ASSOCIATED VASCULOPATHY WITH ONSET IN INFANCY (SAVI) - September 26, 2023