Herbal Remedies for Meralgia Paresthetica Treatment
Meralgia paresthetica is the condition of the outer thigh. Thigh contains several muscles, as Quadriceps and hamstrings help to bend and extend knee and hip. Adductors muscle moves the legs inward and towards each other, pectineus and sartorius rotate thighs at hip joint. They bear most of the body weight and provide balance.The thigh muscles are skeletal muscles attach bones to tendons and move part of the skeleton. They are made up of many muscle fibers containing blood vessels and nerves. These muscles are very elastic and stretch a lot. Now we are going to study in detail about its causes, signs, symptoms and many herbal remedies further in this topic.
Meralgia Paresthetica known as Bernhardt Roth syndrome is a neurological condition characterized by tingling sensation, numbness, burning pain on the outer part of the thigh. Meralgia paresthetica occurs when a nerve (lateral femoral cutaneous nerve) gets compressed. In most of the cases this condition can be cured by wearing loose clothing, or by losing weight. Some patients with severe meralgia need medication and surgery. Meralgia paresthetica can be due to local trauma or disease such as diabetes, pregnancy, hip surgery, obesity, walking or standing for a long time can trigger the effect of meralgia paresthetica.
Nerves travel throughout the body carrying messages to and from the brain, a certain set of nerves called sensory nerves gather and send signals to brain, skin, muscles. But in meralgia the paresthetica sensory nerve in the outer thigh doesn’t pass through hip bones and joints. A lot of factors compresses the nerve which includes
- Tight clothing such as belts, tight pants.
- Pregnancy (a growing stomach and weight put pressure on the groyne so this compresses the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve leading to meralgia paresthetica).
- Fluid accumulation in the abdomen causing increased abdominal pressure
- Weight gain
- Repetitive motions which irritate the nerve such as in leg movement.
- Age between 30-60 years
- Person who is exposed to lead based paint
- Certain medical conditions- hypothyroidism, alcoholism, diabetes.
- Extra weight (as it increases the pressure on lateral femoral cutaneous nerve)
- Burning Pain
- Numbness and burning outside of thigh
- Increased sensitivity to light, touch
- Decreased sensation
Symptoms might be mild at first but as the condition gets worse the patient feels sharp and shooting type of pain.
The diagnosis of meralgia paresthetica is based on history and physical examination. He/she might test sensation of affected thigh to describe pain, and trace the numbness area of thigh. To rule out certain femoral neuropathy tests recommended are
- Imaging study – X-RAY, CT SCAN, MRI
- Electromyography (EMG)
- Nerve conduction velocity study
- Nerve blockade
- Blood tests
For most of the patient this meralgia paresthetica resolves in few monthsand treatment main focuses on the nerve compression
1. Conservative Measures
- Wearing looser clothes
- Losing excess weight
- Taking pain relievers such as aspirin, acetaminophen (tylenol)
- Corticosteroids injections- As this reduces inflammation, and temporarily relieves pain. Side effects include joint infection, nerve damage, whitening of skin around injection site
- Tricyclic antidepressants- These medications relieve pain. Side effects include drowsiness, dry mouth, impaired sexual functioning.
- Phenytoin and Pregabalin- These are anti seizure medications which lower down the pain. Side effects include nausea, dizziness, constipation.
Vatavyadhi deals with the diseases caused by vata dosha and has a large spectrum of disorders related with neurological disease, musculoskeletal disease. Vata dosha controls the mind, senses, perception and if it is disturbed it drives the body crazy. The vata dosha when aggravated gets filled up with rikta srotas or empty channels of the body that have lost their protective sheath and lost their smoothness. The vitiated vata dosha will produce ekang vata (limited to particular parts of the body), sarvanga (affects the whole body).
- Dry foods
- Cold food
- Excessive indulgence in sexual activity
- Improper administration of cleansing property such as vamana, virechana
- Excessive bleeding
- Injury to vital points in the body.
- Contraction in affected part of body
- Stiffness in joints
- Lameness with one/both leg
- Tearing and pricking type of pain
- Missed abortion.
- Snehan- Administration of medicated oil, ghee.
- Sudation therapy- When a patient is heated then he is subjected to sumentation therapy where oil is applied externally, and fermentation is done through tubular method. By the application of snehan and sudation, stiffened limbs can also be brought back to normal. Tingling, pricking pain, aches, stiffness can be easily resolved by sudation therapy.
- Deepan pachna snehan- Oil and ghee processed with deepan (appetiser), and pachan (digestive) drugs.
- Seka- Pouring of medicated oils over the body in a stream.
- Abhyanga- Massage with herbal oils.
- Prasarini- As it has guru guna and ushna veerya which act effectively in vata dosha. Prasarini is effective in fracture healing and in gouty arthritis, improves strength, and provides immunity. Helps to relieve bloating and abdominal pain. The massage of prasarini tail balances vata dosha as this herb relieves pain, inflammation, and stiffness. Has analgesic, anti inflammatory actions and in many allergic conditions.
- Rasna- Rasna is useful in anuvasana basti to reduce vitiated kapha and vata doshas. Rasna undergoes pungent (katu) after digestion. The decoction of rasna is used as a blood purifier, paste made from rasna over the affected part reduces swelling and pain, and can be easily applied on the joint area in case of pain.
- Bilva- Bilva act has an anti inflammatory property, which is useful in basti treatment. It balances vata and kapha dosha which is good in digestion and improves digestion strength, improves amavata, improves taste perception and acts as a cardio tonic.
HERBAL REMEDIES BY PLANET AYURVEDA FOR MERALGIA PARESTHETICA
Planet ayurveda is an ayurvedic clinic that provides great treatment with great results. All the formulations are prepared under strict observance of M.D practitioners. These remedies are free from any kind of color, resins, gums and any kind of synthetic material. As the remedies are 100% pure so they can be used without worrying about its side effects. For the purpose of management, planet ayurveda provides many herbal formulations which include the following.
- Ashwagandha capsules
- Boswellia curcumin
- Vrihat vat chintamani ras
- Hakam churna
- Triphala ghrit
1. Ashwagandha Capsules
Ashwagandha capsules are single poly herbal capsules formulated by planet ayurveda consisting of standardized extract of ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). Ashwagandha capsules are one of the best formulations for balancing vata dosha, as it governs the movement in the body and movement of nerves in the body through the whole nervous system. It is useful in increasing hemoglobin as it is high in iron content. Ashwagandha capsules rejuvenate tissues in the body and strengthen the nerves and promote good sleep. Balances tone of liver, kidney, immune system and balances hormones in the body.
Dosage– 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meals.
2. Boswellia curcumin
Boswellia curcumin capsules are formulated in the form of capsules by planet ayurveda using ingredients as Shallaki (Boswellia serrata), Curcumin (Curcuma longa). Is effective medicine used to treat joint disorders and muscle weakness. Shallaki lowers down the vata dosha and is used as an analgesic. As they both are used in combination curcumin is good for swelling, elbow pain, stiffness. Curcumin helps in proper pumping of the blood and removes whole toxins and further improves the flexibility in joints in chronic condition
Dosage– 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
3. Vrihat vatchintamani ras
Vrihat vatchintamani ras is classical herbal ayurvedic medicine formulated by planet ayurveda in the form of tablets using ingredients such as- Swarna bhasma (Calx of gold), Loha bhasma (Calx of iron), Mukta bhasma (Calx of pearl), Abhrak bhasma (Calx of silver) and many more. Vrihat vatchintamani ras is used in the treatment of vata vyadhi (multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, neuralgia, facial palsy), shoulder dislocation pain, after fever when one complaint of muscle, joint pain. It is very helpful in premature ejaculations and many sexual disorders. Treats anxiety, depression, rheumatoid depression well.
Dosage– 1 tablet twice daily and chew it with warm ghee.
4. Hakam churna
Hakam churna is a classical ayurvedic churna which is formulated by planet ayurveda using ingredients Chandrashoor (Lepidium sativum), Kalonji (Nigella sativaa), Methi (Trigonella foenum graecum), Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi). Useful in painful joints, stiffness and in many inflammatory conditions. Hakam churna is tridoshic rasayan as vata dosha controls the nervous system, pitta dosha controls metabolism, and kapha dosha maintains body structure. It has inflammatory action so it relieves pain, and stiffness in back, improves liver function and digestion , reduces the serum cholesterol level in the body.
Dosage- 1 tsp twice daily with warm water.
5. Mahatriphala Ghrit
Mahatriphala ghrit is classical ayurvedic preparation formulated by planet ayurveda using ingredients such as: Amalaki (Emblica offcinalis), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Bhringraj (Eclipta alba), Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), Mishri (Saccharum officinarum), Munnaka (Vitis vinifera), Choti kateri (Solanum surattense), Nilofer (Nymphaea alba) and many more. Maha Triphala ghrit has properties of cardioprotective, is anti diabetic, anti obesity, has antioxidant and neuroprotective activities. It has strong anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties as it is used to relieve joint pain, with age our skin becomes dull and saggy so maha triphala ghrit is very useful in wound healing and further reduces scars and blemishes. Regular use of triphala ghee improves the skin texture and restores its color and shine.
Dosage – 1 tsp twice daily with warm water.
Meralgia Paresthetica known as Bernhardt Roth syndrome is a neurological condition characterized by tingling sensation, numbness, burning pain on the outer part of the thigh. It can be due to diabetes, pregnancy, trauma and other causes as discussed in the article. In ayurveda it can be due to imbalance of vata dosha which further causes vata vyadhi. To balance vata dosha many herbal remedies by planet ayurveda are discussed in detail which don’t cause any side effects and provide great relief to the patient.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Herbal Remedies for Progressive Familial Intrahepatic Cholestasis (PFIC) - September 23, 2023
- HERBS EQUIVALENT TO CYMBALTA IN AYURVEDA - September 4, 2023
- How Can Ayurveda Help In PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian Disease)? – Yoga Tips and Herbal Remedies - September 2, 2023
- Ascites and Its Treatment – Diet and Herbal Remedies - August 29, 2023
- Natural Healing of Chylous Ascites with Herbal Remedies - August 24, 2023