Herbal Remedies for Discoid Lupus(Auto Immune Disorder)
As we all know that immunity plays a major role in the well being of the patient. Stronger the immune power of the individual the more healthy he/ she will be. In today’s era the prevalence rate of autoimmune disorders seems to be quite prevalent. In this article we are also going to discuss an autoimmune disorder known as “discoid lupus”. As every human being desires to have a healthy and clear skin, these ailments are a case of serious concern. As if not treated at the initial stage it will start affecting sound health of the mind also. As ayurveda deals with such ailments by using basic principles of tridosha theory (principle energies of our body- vata, pitta and kapha). So let’s start discussing how ayurveda deals with such ailments.
Discoid lupus more specifically known as discoid lupus erythematosus which is defined as a chronic autoimmune disorder that affects skin health. It got its name because of its peculiar coin shape lesions. The skin rash can range from a mild patch of pink color to erythematosus ones. If not treated at early stages these rashes can cause severe scars on the skin which can last for many years. As per ayurveda we can correlate this with “kushta roga” (skin disorders). As per our ancient classical texts vitiation of three dosha (vata, pitta and kapha) along with twak (skin), mamsa (muscle tissue), rakta (blood) and lasika (bodily fluid) plays a major role in producing such ailments. Generally there are two types of kushtha depending upon the severity of the disease. First type is maha kushtha and the other one is kshudra kushtha.
These are the main causes (nidanas per ayurveda) that results in the formation of an ailment.
- The exact cause is not known as it is an autoimmune disorder; weak immunity power triggers the disease process.
- Environmental factors
- Genetics plays a major role.
- Irregular hormonal level.
- Overexposure to UV rays.
- Cigarette smoking
According to ayurveda: The causes of kushtha roga are as follow:
(charaka. Chikitsa 7/4-8)
- It occurs in those people who eat virudh anna-panna (unhealthy food)
- Intake of excessive amounts of liquid and heavy food articles.
- Control natural urges of vomit and defecation (stool) for longer duration.
- After eating ‘guru ahaar” (heavy food) in large amounts, indulge themselves in heavy exercises.
- Those who don’t follow the proper diet plan sometime they eat cold food and then immediately after that consume hot food.
- After coming from over sun exposure they immediately drink cold water.
- Eat food even after having the problem of indigestion.
- When they don’t follow the proper do and don’ts guidelines after going through panchakarma therapy (detoxification procedure).
- Consume excessive amounts of new food items (which are freshly obtained from their natural sources such as fresh wheat, corn), curd, fish, sesame oil, salty and sour food.
- Who eats heavy meals in the afternoon and then goes to sleep at noon.
- Those indulge themselves in sin activities or make laugh of their teachers (guru) and elders.
A symptom means the general complaints along with which patients present in front of the physician. Signs: It means what a physician notices himself by observing the patient’s condition. Following are the signs and symptoms explained
- Presence of lesion on the surface of the skin more commonly in the scalp, neck, nose, ears and hands. Skin lesions are reddish in color with disc shaped raised and flat lesions.
- Ulceration of the skin
- Fatigue and malaise
- Formation of skin scarring
- Thick scales on the skin and scalp
It includes the common diagnostic approaches we use to identify the disease.
- By detailed history taking of the patient.
- Ruling out family history.
- Through proper clinical evaluation of the patient by using following below listed techniques:
- Laboratory findings:
- Blood tests
- Urine analysis
- Skin biopsy
- Renal function test (RFT)
According to Ayurveda– The two most preferred diagnostic procedures used by a physician are as follow
1. Trividh pariksha (Group of 3 diagnostic procedures)
- Darshan- Diagnosis is made by visual examination of the symptoms.
- Sparshan- Physician uses tactile examination to evaluate whether skin is cold/hot
- Prashan– Physicians ask direct questions from the patient, to evaluate the root cause of the disease i.e. history taking.
2. Asthavidh pariksha(set of 8 examination procedure)
- Nadi pariksha– By palpating the pulse rate of the patient.
- Mutra pariksha– By examining the urine of the patient.
- Mal pariksha– By stool examination.
- Jivha pariksha– By examining the tongue whether coated or not.
- Shabad pariksha– By listening to the natural sounds within the body like intestinal sound (peristalsis) sounds of moving body fluids.
- Sparsh pariksha– By observing the patient skin texture whether it is cool, wet or dry.
- Drik pariksha– When a physician inspects patient symptoms through his/her eyes.
- Akriti pariksha– When a physician evaluates the general appearance of a patient whether he/she looks dull, lethargic or fatigued etc.
According to Ayurveda
It is very important to initiate treatment as early as possible. Ayurveda uses the principle of tridosha theory (three principle energies in our body – vata, pitta and kapha) and in this particular disease there is vitiation of pitta dosha so we use “pitta shamak” (pitta dosha lowering procedures) treatment protocol in this and they are as follow
- Agni deepan (stimulation of digestive fire) – In this procedure the power of digestive fire (Agni) is increased by using deepan herbs such as fennel.
- Vaman (emesis) – emetic medicines are given to the patient to take out the vitiated dosha of the body.
- Nitya virechna (use of purgative measures on daily basis) – It means using purgative herbs to release out the elevated pitta dosha from the body through the anal route.
- Basti (Enema) – It is the best procedure for balancing the vata dosha within the body. In this herbal kwath (decoction) is inserted into the anal route of the patient and it will take out the pacified vata dosha with the faecal matter.
- San shaman chikitsa (alleviating treatment) in this treatment modality we use the herbal medicines by oral route to balance vitiated doshas within the body itself.
Under a this we can use below listed herbal remedies of planet ayurveda, they are as follow
- Nirgundi oil mixed with Jatyadi tailam
- Gandhak Rasayan
- Radiant skin hair nails formula
- Manjishtha capsule
- Neem capsule
- Gotu Kola capsule
1. Nirgundi oil mixed with Jatyadi tailam
Nirgundi oil contains natural herbs such as Nirgundi (Vitex negundo) along with Kalahari (Gloriosa superba), Haridra (Curcuma longa), Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia), Tila oil (Sesamum indicum) etc. Whereas Jatyadi tailam contains herbs like Chameli (Jasminum officinale), Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa), Karanj beej (Pongamia pinnata), Shweta sariva (Hemidesmus indicus), Patola patra (Stereospermum chelonoides) etc. Nirgundi oil has anti inflammatory and antibacterial properties whereas jatyadi oil helps in healthy wound healing. So, when we use them together they show great results in healing any kind of skin lesion.
Usage: – Mix both the oil in equal proportion and apply it two times in a day on the affected area.
2. Gandhak Rasayan
This herbal formulation contains shuddha gandhak (purified and detoxified sulphur). Gandhak is known for its tremendous benefits on skin functioning. It contains great anti-bacterial, antimicrobial and antiviral properties. It is known for its tridosha (vata, pitta and kapha) balancing property thus this classical formulation works profoundly in discoid lupus as well.
Dosage: 1-2 tablets twice daily with plain water after meals.
3. Radiant skin hair nails formula
This herbal formulation is made up of natural herbs that contain great antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It also enhances skin functioning by excreting out harmful impurities from the blood. Herbs formulated in this medicine are enriched with various important micro and macro nutrients that help in rejuvenating the skin and also enhance the skin complexion. It contains herbs such as manjishtha (Rubia cordifolia), Pit pada (Fumaria officinalis), Chirata (Swertia chirata) and Ghrit Kumari (Aloe barbadensis).
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meals.
4. Manjishtha Capsules
This herbal capsule contains pure extract of manjishtha (Rubia cordifolia). This herb is clinically proven as the best blood purifier due to the active principles present in it. It helps in removing harmful toxins out from the blood. It also helps in removing the obstruction from the sweat channels thus proven as a great choice in discoid lupus.
Dosage:1 cap twice daily with plain water after meals
5. Neem capsule
This herbal capsule contains pure and standardized extract of Neem (Azadirachta indica). This herb is known for its numerous healthy benefits on skin health. It will help you in cleansing your skin. Being a herbal anti-inflammatory it helps you in providing relief from the pain of the lesions of the discoid lupus.
Dosage: – 1-2 capsules two times a day after meals with plain water.
6. Gotu Kola capsule
This herbal capsule contains standardized extract of gotukola (Centella asiatica). This herb is mentioned as the best ‘medhya herb’ (brain tonic) in classical ancient texts. It rejuvenates our mind and helps in strengthening the nervous system of our body. It also contains great antioxidant properties thus helps in removing obstruction present inside the blood channels by balancing all the three doshas vata, pitta and kapha thus proves as a great choice in discoid lupus patients.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meals
Contact my assistant to provide you the costing/ordering and delivery information at – email@example.com or call at +91-172-5214040 Or Check Website – www.PlanetAyurveda.com
Despite having huge advancement in medical technologies, there are many medical illnesses that have no medical cure other than using symptomatic prophylactic treatment when the disease has progressed into advanced stages. Ayurveda, the ancient science of indian system of medicines, works in this disease by using a holistic approach o f healing. If you are considering opting for ayurvedic treatment make Plant ayurveda as your prime choice as their expert doctors are serving people worldwide from the last 2O years and have great experience. You can directly visit us at our clinic at Mohali Punjab or can send your queries on our official email id- firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- AYURVEDIC HERBS FOR NURTURING LIVER - February 9, 2024
- WHAT ARE FENNEL SEEDS? HEALTH BENEFITS - February 9, 2024
- BLACK PEPPER IN AYURVEDA, HISTORY, FORMATION AND EFFECT ON HEALTH - February 7, 2024
- CORIANDER SEEDS, HISTORY, PROPERTIES & HEALTH BENEFITS - February 2, 2024
- CUMIN DEFINITION, VARIETIES, TRADITIONAL USES & ITS EFFECTS ON HEALTH - February 1, 2024