Ayurvedic View On Diaper Rash And Its Treatment With Herbs!
Most of the babies get diaper rash at some point of time no matter how careful their parents are. Diaper rash is a very common condition characterized by the appearance of baby’s skin to be reddish, sore and tender in a patchwork form. It is known as diaper rash because diaper rashes appear to be on areas covered by diapers, as the name suggests. This article has all the information you may need about the condition at one place along with the herbal treatment offered by Planet Ayurveda.
INTRODUCTION TO DIAPER RASH
Diaper rash can be a very annoying condition for your little one and alarming for you. Usually these rashes clear up on their own by maintaining hygiene and some home measures but when they remain for a long time, treatment must be taken. In simple terms, diaper rash is a form of dermatitis, irritation of skin which occurs due to diapers. Continuous rubbing of diapers with baby’s skin causes redness and burning of skin leaving baby annoyed and uncomfortable.
AYURVEDIC ASPECT OF DIAPER RASH
As per Ayurveda, diaper rash is referred to as Ahiputana in Ayurvedic classics. In Ayurveda the cause behind the causation of diaper rash is stanyadushti, i.e. vitiated breast milk along with the improper care of the baby.
CAUSES OF DIAPER RASH
There can be various reasons which lead to diaper rashes in a baby. Some of the common ones are:
- Baby wearing the dirty or wet diaper for too long
- Rubbing of skin of baby against the diaper continuously
- Baby suffering from bacterial or yeast infection
- Allergic reaction of the baby to diaper
They are more prone to the diaper rash when:
- Between the age of 9-12 months
- Sleeping in soiled diapers
- Have loose stools
- When baby starts to eat solid foods for the first time
- When baby is given antibiotics for some reason or mother is taking antibiotics and she is also nursing
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF DIAPER RASH
There are very few and marked signs and symptoms of diaper rash that can be easily recognized:
- Skin of the hips of baby is red, patchy and tender looking
- Along with the buttocks the rashes may be on thighs and genitals as well
- Baby seems to be annoyed and uncomfortable than usual days
- Baby crying while changing the diaper or when the area is cleaned, washed or even touched
PREVENTION OF DIAPER RASH
Keeping the baby dry and clean is the best way to prevent diaper rash. Let’s have a look at some basic and easy steps that can help you prevent the diaper rash in the first place.
- You should check and change the diapers frequently or if the child is managed by some child care inform them to do so.
- Each time you change the diaper make it a ritual to wash the baby’s bottom area with water, you can use a tub for it. However if you want to clean it with wipes select the one with no alcohol and fragrance content. Also while cleaning be gentle.
- Never scrub the skin of the child as it may irritate the skin further. Always let it dry or pat it gently with a clean towel.
- Do not tighten the diapers unnecessarily as it stops the airflow into the diaper region creating a moist environment which causes diaper rashes. Also it can chaff the skin of the waist area.
- Try to keep your baby for sometime daily without a diaper and let the skin be exposed to air. While keeping him/her without diaper you can lay them on big towel.
- If you baby is prone to diaper rashes try using some neutral ointment like petroleum jelly while changing diaper in order to make a barrier.
- Always wash your hands after changing the diaper so as to prevent the spread of yeast or bacteria to any other body part of the baby.
DIAGNOSIS OF DIAPER RASH
Diaper rash is very easily diagnosed as the marked inflamed skin of the diaper area is very much visible. However there are certain other conditions which your doctor might rule out if these rashes are not going even after too many precautions and medicines. The other similar looking conditions can be psoriasis, other forms of dermatitis or rashes caused due to other serious health conditions like HIV, syphilis or bullous impetigo.
TREATMENT OF DIAPER RASH
The conservative treatment given for diaper rashes include ointment or cream containing petroleum jelly or zinc oxide, baby powder however such powders can cause breathing problems in children and should be kept away from face, oral antibiotics which again are not good for baby’s health when given too often or long term and antifungal cream.
AYURVEDIC TREATMENT OF DIAPER RASH
As discussed above, owing to texts of Ayurvedic literature diaper rashes are caused due to vitiated breast milk (stanyadushti) and improper care of hygiene of the baby. Hence the Ayurvedic treatment focuses on purification of breast milk, i.e. Stanya Shodhana, balancing of the doshas involved, application of tarkshyasaila and usage of cleansing decoctions.
HERBAL REMEDIES BY PLANET AYURVEDA
Planet Ayurveda is one of the fastest growing herbal pharmaceuticals in the last decade in India. There are several distributors as well of Planet Ayurveda in different countries around the world through which people around the globe are using the products of this renowned company. All the herbal medicines and products manufactured here are purely herbal, vegetarian, free of chemicals, preservatives, additives, fillers, colors, yeast or dye which make them harmless to the human body in any form when taken as advised by the medical professional. There is a combination of herbal remedies which can help in treating the diaper rash gently, completely and without causing any harm to your baby at all.
- Dermo Plan Syrup
- Recumin Gel
- Jatyadi Tailam
All the herbal remedies in this combination are immensely gentle and therapeutic in nature as they contain natural herbs and free of any chemicals. These herbs not only treat the diaper rash but also help in preventing the flare ups in future.
1. Dermo Plan Syrup
This amazing therapeutic herbal syrup is prepared using Haridra (Curcuma longa), Sariva (Hemidesmus indicus), Neem (Azadirachta indica), Khadir (Areca catechu), Shobhanjan (Moringa oleifera), Chopchini (Smilax china), Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), Shahtara (Fumaria officinalis) etc. Dermoplan syrup relieves redness of the skin, itching and burning and also restores the healthy skin.
Dosage: Give 1 teaspoon twice daily, morning and evening after feed.
It is a classical herbal formulation which contains numerous medicinal properties. Arvindasava helps in treating indigestion in children, enhances immunity, helps in clearing fungal or bacterial infection and soothes the inflamed area. Herbs like Aravinda (Nelumbo nucifera), Ela (Elettaria cardamomum), Mansi (Nardostachys jatamansi), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Musta (Cyperus rotundus), Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) etc are used in its preparation.
Dosage: Give 10-20 drops to the baby twice a day after feed.
3. Recumin Gel
Local application of this herbal gel helps in making a barrier between skin and diaper, soothes the inflamed skin, eases burning and itching. Recumin gel consists of herbs like Neem (Azadirachta indica), Haridra (Curcuma longa), Sesame (Sesamum indicum), Guggul (Commiphora mukul) etc.
Direction: Take some gel and apply on the diaper covering area of the baby twice a day.
4. Jatyadi Tailam
Patola patra (Stereospermum chelonoides), Neem (Azadirachta indica), Haridra (Curcuma longa), Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra) etc are the main ingredient of jatyadi tailam. This herbal oil has been used since ages to treat wounds, relieve itching, redness and burning of skin.
Direction: Take few drops and apply on the affected area of the baby gently.
Diaper rash is one of the most common problems infants go through. It can be annoying and troubling for your child as diaper rashes keep your child from playing and sleeping well. Hence along with the preventive measure you must use the above mentioned remedies so as to annihilate the problem from root and prevent repeated flare ups. In case of any query kindly visit www.planetayurveda.com
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Natural Cure For Whiplash Injury With Herbal Remedies - August 9, 2022
- Ayurvedic Treatment For Hearing Loss In Children - August 9, 2022
- Herbal Remedies For Adenoma Malignum Of The Uterine Cervix - August 1, 2022
- Prosopagnosia – All You Need To Know - July 28, 2022
- Ayurvedic Treatment For Essential Tremors With Herbal Remedies - July 25, 2022