Sarcopenia & Its Treatment In Ayurveda With Herbal Remedies
Specific age-related loss of muscle mass is known as Sarcopenia. It is completely possible to lose some muscle mass while a person ages. But Sarcopenia is the abnormal and severe loss of muscle mass which affects a person’s balance, gait and overall capability to perform day to day work. For a very long time it was believed that Sarcopenia is inevitable and couldn’t be prevented. However, now there are treatments which might prevent it or slow down the disease process. This article is all about Sarcopenia and its Ayurvedic management.
Since a person is born and grows up to the age of 30 he/she gains muscles and grows stronger and larger. After 60-80 years of age a person starts to lose muscle and mass which is termed as Sarcopenia. Sarcopenia affects around 10% of the population. Physical inactivity aggravates the muscle loss, while people who are physically active lose less muscle mass compared to the former.
AYURVEDIC ASPECT OF SARCOPENIA
As per Ayurveda Sarcopenia occurs due to derangement of Vata dosha resulting in muscle mass loss. Balance of all three doshas is necessary for the maintenance of health.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF SARCOPENIA
Signs and symptoms of Sarcopenia include
- Loss of stamina
- Inability to do daily chores
- Shrinking of muscle mass due to reduction in activity
CAUSES OF SARCOPENIA
Decreased physical activity is the main cause behind Sarcopenia. Other causes of Sarcopenia where the people have an active lifestyle are:
- Nerve cells reduction which sends signals to muscles from brain to move.
- Disturbed or decreased hormone levels.
- Declined ability of the body to produce energy from protein.
- Not enough consumption of protein and daily calories that helps in maintaining muscle mass.
RISK FACTORS FOR SARCOPENIAM
Other than aging, there are certain other factors which can increase the chances of developing Sarcopenia
- Sedentary lifestyle, i.e. less or no physical activity on daily basis increases the risk of developing this disease.
- Having a poor diet means poor nutrition that leads to Sarcopenia. However poor nutrition can affect anyone but elderly people are more prone to have it because old people eat less as compared to the young people which causes malnutrition.
- Eating more acidic food like grains, processed food items or eating less fruits and vegetables may affect muscle mass negatively.
DIAGNOSIS FOR SARCOPENIA
Sarcopenia can be diagnosed on the basis of signs and symptoms that patients present. However, sometimes dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) can be advised by your doctor along with a walking speed test to confirm the diagnosis. DXA is used to measure bone density and skeletal mass.
COMPLICATIONS OF SARCOPENIA
There are certain complications which can occur if Sarcopenia is not treated timely
- There is risk of disability which increases in the elderly people
- Risk of infection and other associated illnesses
- Prolonged recovery after surgery
TREATMENT FOR SARCOPENIA
Traditional or conventional Sarcopenia includes exercises including specifically strength training or resistance training exercises that help in increasing endurance and muscle strength with the help of resistance bands or weights. Hormones and the neuromuscular system are maintained through resistance training that helps in conversion of protein to energy in elderly people. Also these exercises must be done under the supervision of a trainer or physical therapist.
AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR SARCOPENIA
Ayurvedic treatment for Sarcopenia aims at balancing the Vata dosha and restoring muscle mass. There are many herbs in Ayurveda that naturally possess therapeutic properties of balancing the doshas and restoring the overall health.
HERBAL REMEDIES BY PLANET AYURVEDA
Planet Ayurveda offers various combinations of herbal medicines to treat any chronic or acute disease condition. It is a herbal pharmaceutical company which has earned a very well name in its field. All the medicines and products manufactured here are purely vegetarian, herbal and organic also no chemicals, preservatives, colors, yeast, dye or additives are present in them. Distributors of Planet Ayurveda are in various parts of the world as people throughout the globe are using its products and medicines. Very experienced MD Ayurveda doctors prescribe these medicines to the patients as per the disease the person is suffering from. For Sarcopenia Planet Ayurveda offers a combination of herbal medicines which help in managing and treating the condition naturally.
- Ashwagandha Capsule
- Weight Gain Formula
- Shatavari Ghrit
1. Ashwagandha Capsule
Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha) is used in standardized form to prepare these herbal capsules. Ashwagandha capsules help in fighting against the general debility caused by disease, have immunomodulating action, gives internal strength preventing joint pains and hair loss.
Dosage: Take 1 capsule twice daily after meals with plain water.
2. Weight Gain Formula
This is the herbal blend of various amazing herbs like Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Amalaki (Phyllanthus emblica), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica), Pippali (Piper longum) etc. Weight gain formula as the name indicates helps in increasing muscle mass of a person which is the main aim of treatment in Sarcopenia.
Dosage: Take 1 capsule twice daily after meals with plain water.
Many therapeutic herbs like Syonak (Oroxylum indicum), Agnimantha (Premna mucronata), Bilva (Aegle marmelos), Patla (Sterospermum suveolens), Prishnaparni (Uraria picta), Patla (Sterospermum suveolens), Kashmarya (Gmelina arborea), Mashparni (Teramnus labialis), Shalparni (Desmodium gangeticum), Bala (Sida cordifolia), Mudgaparni (Phaseolus trilobus), etc. Vikramprash helps in maintaining the doshas of the body and boosts the immune system as well.
Dosage: 1 teaspoonful twice daily preferably with milk.
4. Shatavari Ghrit
It is a classical Ayurvedic preparation which is in the form of ghee. Shatavaryadi ghrita helps in balancing the Vata and Pitta doshas in the body. It also helps in relieving fatigue and weakness. This formulation consist of Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), Vidari (Pueraria tuberosa), Yashti (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Chandana (Santalum album), Kasheruka (Scirpus grossus) etc.
Dosage: 3-5 ml once or twice a day after meals.
Early medical intervention can help in preventing the complications of Sarcopenia. Sarcopenia can be managed and treated very well with the help of herbal remdies offered by Planet Ayurveda.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Ayurvedic Aspect of Encapsulating Peritoneal Sclerosis - September 28, 2023
- Herbal Remedies for Progressive Familial Intrahepatic Cholestasis (PFIC) - September 23, 2023
- HERBS EQUIVALENT TO CYMBALTA IN AYURVEDA - September 4, 2023
- How Can Ayurveda Help In PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian Disease)? – Yoga Tips and Herbal Remedies - September 2, 2023
- Ascites and Its Treatment – Diet and Herbal Remedies - August 29, 2023