Natural Cure For Recurrent UTI
The function of the Urinary System is filtering our blood and producing urine as waste product or excretion. The urinary system consists of the kidneys, the ureters, the bladder, and the urethra. Urine is produced in the kidneys by filtering the blood. Then urine is passed through the ureters (two tube- like structures) to the bladder (a hollow organ) and then it allows urine to pass outside our body through urethra (a tube like organ). In Urinary tract infection, the urinary system gets affected causing an inflammatory response. Women are more affected by UTIs than men these days. Out of which, pregnant women are more prone to the infection. So here we are going to discuss all about the urinary tract infections and its Ayurvedic management.
A Urinary tract infection is an infection of the urinary system, including kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra. Most infections involve the lower urinary tract i.e. the urethra and the bladder. RUTIs are defined as two episodes of acute bacterial cystitis along with associated symptoms within the last six months or three episodes within the last year. E. coli is the most common organism in all patient groups, but Klebsiella, Pseudomonas, Proteus, and other organisms are more common in patients with certain risk factors for complicated UTIs. RUTIs are mainly caused by these same pathogens. Urine infection in Ayurveda is a guaranteed way to get relief.
The causes of RUTIs include
- The commonest organisms such as bacteria are responsible for causing the urinary tract infections present in the bowel and around the anus.
- Frequency of sexual intercourse is the strongest predictor of RUTIs in patients presenting with dysuria (pain during urination).
- Improper hand-washing may increase the risk of these infections.
- It has been seen that the immune-compromised patients (like diabetes mellitus, HIV) are very prone to these urinary tract infections.
The symptoms of RUTIs are as follows
- Frequent urination
- Pain when urinating
- Bloody or dark urine
- Cloudy and foul smelling urine
- Burning sensation during urination
- Lower back pain occurs
- If Urinary tract infection spreads to kidneys, it may cause nausea, vomiting, chills and fever.
The types of UTI include
- CYSTITIS– Inflammation of the bladder is the commonest type of urinary tract infection.
- URETHRITIS– Inflammation of the urethra is known as urethritis.
- PYELONEPHRITIS– This is a type of kidney infection when bacteria are not flushed out of the body with urine.
The investigations of UTI include
- Renal scan
- Intravenous pyelogram
SOME RISK FACTORS ACCORDING TO AYURVEDA
Ayurvedic medicine dictates that UTIs are caused by an imbalance of the ‘Pitta dosha’. Therefore, a good starting point for managing UTIs is to avoid activities which aggravate the Pitta dosha. These may include:
- Eating too much hot, sour or spicy food
- Excessive exposure to heat or sunlight
- Not drinking enough water
- Working with chemicals or fire
- Consuming alcohol
- Retaining urine in the bladder and suppressing the need to urinate.
LIFESTYLE CHANGES FOR RECURRENT UTIs
- Wear loose and comfortable clothes.
- Urinate before and after sexual activity and properly maintain hygiene in your genital area.
- Do not hold your urine.
- Practice yoga and meditation.
- Restrict exposure to extreme heat and sun.
- Use exercises to strengthen the pelvic muscles.
- Apply heat in the pelvic area to reduce pain.
TREATMENT OF UTIs
We have seen that the Allopathic medicines have shown many adverse effects in relation to the urinary tract infections. Some of the Allopathic medicines that are used to treat UTIs are- various antibiotics, antipyretics, analgesics, anti-inflammatory drugs. Symptomatic treatment is done by these medicines to cure UTIs as all of these have got various adverse effects that undoubtedly are harmful to our body. Well there are many Ayurvedic medicines by Planet Ayurveda which help in treating these UTIs for sure, with no side effects. Some of the Ayurvedic herbs that are helpful in infections are Gokshur, Punarnava, Varun, Apamarg, Shigru, Guggul and so on. These herbs are used as different formulations. And these Ayurvedic formulations by Planet Ayurveda are helpful in healing the infections which are described below.
HERBAL REMEDIES FOR RECURRENT UTIs BY PLANET AYURVEDA
Ayurveda has given prime importance to Mutravaha srotas (urinary system) as well as Srotogata vikaras (urinary disorders). So the concept of the urinary system is explained under the Mutravaha srotas, in Ayurveda. According to Ayurveda, herbal supplements contain natural substances that are beneficial to our body. Planet Ayurveda products provide rapid and satisfactory results. Planet Ayurveda herbal products are hundred percent pure and they do not contain any artificial flavours. It is too difficult to maintain a healthy diet and Planet Ayurveda offers herbal supplements that can also be used as nutritional supplements to maintain your overall health. Herbal supplements of Planet Ayurveda do not contain any chemicals, additives and preservatives. They can be used to support various body systems and help in maintaining our health. The drugs recommended for RUTIs in Planet Ayurveda are:
- Punarnava Capsules
- Mutrakrichantak Churna
- Varunadi Vati
1. Punarnava Capsules
Planet Ayurveda Punarnava contains standardized herbal extract of Punarnava. It helps to balance all the three tridoshas i.e. Vata, Pitta and Kapha. Punarnava is rejuvenating and used in an impaired urinary function and urinary tract infections. It possesses bitter, cooling and astringent properties.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily with warm water after food.
2. Mutrakrichantak Churna
This churna is a very effective Ayurvedic medicine against kidney disorders. This churna consists of herbs like Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris), Varun (Cretaeva nurvala), Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), Shirish (Albizia lebbeck), Kaasni (Cichorium intybus), Bhumiamla (Phyllanthus niruri), Apamarg (Achyranthes aspera), Shigru (Moringa oleifera) etc. It also has diuretic properties and provides nutrition and antioxidants to the body.
Dosage: 1 teaspoonful twice daily with warm water after meals. For best results, boil 1 teaspoonful in 400 ml water until it remains 50-60 ml. Filter the preparation with a regular tea strainer and then drink. You should use this once in the morning 45 min after breakfast and similarly in the evening 45 min after dinner. Prepare fresh every time as per this.
3. Varunadi Vati
It is collected from the herb extracts of Varun (Crataeva nurvala) with various herbs such as Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris), Guggul (Commiphora mukul).This vati will reduce the risks of renal calculi and urinary tract infections if using it regularly. It is also used to inhibit the toxins released due to diseased kidneys. Generally, it is a great Ayurvedic medicine for urinary infections.
Dosage: 2 tablets twice daily with warm water after a meal.
FOODS TO BE TAKEN
- Drink plenty of fluids as they help in flushing out the bacteria responsible for urinary infections. 7-8 glasses of water is recommended on a daily basis.
- Take Vitamin-C rich foods such as amla, oranges, grapes etc. It helps to inhibit the growth of bacteria and these fruits help to make urine acidic.
- Add high fiber foods in your diet.
- Take buttermilk, low-fat curd and low-fat yoghurt.
- Add cranberry juice in your diet as it helps to eliminate the UTI.
FOODS TO BE AVOIDED
- Avoid eating spicy food products.
- Stop alcohol consumption.
- Avoid smoking.
- Stop having caffeine and carbonated drinks.
- Avoid taking meat, fried fish, egg yolk, mutton, pork etc.
- Stop having artificial sweeteners strictly.
We conclude that Urinary tract infection is a common contagion among both genders with higher prevalence among women due to their physiology. There are different types of UTIs, and treatment is according to the specific type. Those Ayurvedic herbs described earlier are effective against major urinary tract pathogens. All these herbs are discerned to know different types of phytoconstituents and show potential in the treatment of urinary disorders. It is beneficial to take preventive measures to avoid any type of RUTI and could be an alternative to uropathogen resistance to the antibiotic during a UTI. Planet Ayurveda offers these herbal products which are quite effective against the urinary tract infections. In case of any query kindly visit www.PlanetAyurveda.com
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Natural Cure For Whiplash Injury With Herbal Remedies - August 9, 2022
- Ayurvedic Treatment For Hearing Loss In Children - August 9, 2022
- Herbal Remedies For Adenoma Malignum Of The Uterine Cervix - August 1, 2022
- Prosopagnosia – All You Need To Know - July 28, 2022
- Ayurvedic Treatment For Essential Tremors With Herbal Remedies - July 25, 2022