Psychomotor Retardation and Its Ayurvedic Management
In the busy life a person could not keep his health up to mark. A person is suffering from a number of mental health issues because of work stress, inadequate sleep and many other reasons. Some of which are affecting the mental well being of a person. Psychomotor retardation is slowing down of thought process and reduced and late physical movements. There are a number of causes that can result in psychomotor retardation including side effects of some drugs, psychological issues, psychiatric issues etc. In the following section, we shall have a detailed look on Psychometric retardation and its management. Let’s have a look!!!
Psychomotor refers to physical activity due to mental action. In Psychomotor retardation mental and physical activity slows down. Psychomotor retardation is a component of long term depression. Normal bodily movements and even though processes become slow so do the facial expressions and eye movements. In Ayurveda, the condition is correlated with vata vitiation asvata dosha is the main dosha that does all the bodily and thought and neurological functions. Therefore the slowing down of bodily movements and thought and motor functions directly indicates vitiation of vata dosha.
- Melancholic depression
- Changes in basal ganglia of the brain
- Mood disorders
- Parkinson’s disease
- Bipolar disorder
- Anxiety disorders
- Psychiatric medications
- Eating disorders
- Genetic disorders
- Difficulty in doing daily tasks such as dressing, cooking, exercising, taking a shower.
- Activities requiring a little and more thought such as walking up the stairs, clearing dishes from the table etc.
- Mundane acts requiring thoughtfulness are often difficult.
- Slow speech or delayed verbal response
- Impaired cognitive function
- Decreased eye contact
- Fixed gaze
- Slumped posture
- Lack of expressions on face etc
- Signs of psychomotor slowing
- Speech, Gross Motor Activity, Fine Motor Activity, Drawing tasks, Eye Movements, Facial Movements, Cognitive Measures,
- The salpetriere retardation rating scale (SRRS)
- The CORE index
- The motor agitation and retardation scale (MARS)
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI) such as citalopram, fluoxetine, escitalopram, dapoxetine, vortioxetine etc.
- Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) such as amoxapine, amitriptyline, doxepin, imipramine, protriptyline, trimipramine, desipramine etc.
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) such as phenelzine, tranylcypromine, isocarboxazid, selegiline etc.
- Mood stabilisers such as carbamazepine, lamotrigine, lithium, valproate etc
- Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) – A procedure in which small electric current is passed to the brain under general anaesthesia.
- Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) – A electromagnetic procedure in which an electromagnetic coil is placed near to the scalp that delivers a magnetic impulse to stimulate nerve cells that controls mood.
The Treatment of Psychomotor Retardation is based on the balancing and pacification of vata dosha which is the main reason behind the condition. There are a number of herbs like pippali (Piper longum), brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) and minerals which provide strength and aid increase in motor and nerve functions.
Herbal Remedies for Psychomotor Retardation by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is a famous GMP certified, ISO 9001:2015 certified and US-FDA registered Ayurvedic Company, which adhered to the objective of producing quality Ayurvedic products as mentioned in a number of ancient texts of Ayurveda. Products are manufactured without additives and preservatives and other kinds of chemicals or artificial flavouring agents which can cause a number of side effects on the human body. Products manufactured at Planet Ayurveda are pure and devoid of any kind of adulteration. The products are purely organic and vegetarian and gluten free. Planet Ayurveda has manufactured various products which are very efficient in treating every disorder. The products mentioned below are helpful in the condition of Psychomotor retardation.
The List Below is Beneficial in Psychomotor Retardation
- Neurogenie Capsules
- Yogendra Ras
- Neuro Plan Syrup
- Musli Strength Capsules
- Kalyanaka Ghrit
1. Neurogenie Capsules
Neurogenie capsules contain the herbs which are described as medhya in Ayurvedic texts and promote and improve neurological functions. The formulation contains t he herbs brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) and ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). These are useful in promoting muscle health and nerve conduction and their coordination and possess analgesic properties, which makes it a useful formulation in the condition of Psychomotor retardation.
Dosage : One capsule twice a day with plain water after meals.
2. Yogendra Ras
Yogendra Ras is a classical Ayurvedic formulation. It is a mineral formulation which is helpful in various health conditions. It contains loha bhasma (iron calx), shuddha parada (purified mercury), gandhaka (purified sulphur) with ras sindoor, vanga bhasma (tin calx), shuddha mukta (purified pearls), swarna bhasma (gold calx) and abhrak bhasma (purified silica). Yogendra Ras increases the efficacy of other medicines when taken along with it. Yogendra Ras provides strength to the nerves and muscle and increases the speed of nerve conduction. Therefore, it is beneficial in Psychomotor retardation.
Dosage : One once daily to be chewed with warm ghee or warm water
3. Neuro plan Syrup
Neuro Plan Syrup is a miraculous formulation for promoting neurological wellness and managing ailments related to neurological systems. The syrup contains a variety of herbs which certainly treats Psychomotor retardation. The ingredients include mandukaparni (Centella asiatica), jyotishmati (Celastrus paniculata), madhuyashti (Glycyrrhiza glabra), pippali (Piper longum), maricha (Piper nigrum), ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis), brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) etc. All the herbs possess medhya properties which means these are beneficial in maintaining a good neurological health. The herbs heal the damage of the nerves. Furthermore, Neuro Plan Syrup possesses vata pacifying properties. Hence promotes a fast thinking process.
Dosage : Two tsp twice a day after meals.
4. Musli Strength Capsules
Musli Strength Capsules are filled with goodness of gokshura (Tribulus terrestris) and safed musli (Chlorophytum borivilianum). Both the herbs pacify vata and pitta dosha. It strengthens the muscles and improves nerve conduction. Therefore, Musli Strength Capsules are helpful in Psychomotor retardation.
Dosage : One capsule twice a day
5. Kalyanaka Ghrit
Kalyanaka Ghrit is a classical herbal formulation which is useful in psychiatric conditions. The product contain the herbs haritaki (Terminalia chebula), bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica), amalaki (Emblica officinalis), davdaru (Cedrus deodara), haridra (Curcuma longa), shweta sariva (Hemidesmus indicus), krishna sariva (Ichnocarp[us frutescens), tagar (Valeriana wallichi), kushtha (Saussurea lappa), vidanga (Embelia ribes), cow ghee, nagkesar (Mesua ferrea) etc. Kalyanaka Ghrit pacifies the vata dosha thus manages Psychomotor retardation.
Dosage : One tsp twice a day with warm water after meals.
Contact at Planet Ayurveda to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – firstname.lastname@example.org or call at +91-172-5214040 Or Check Website – www.PlanetAyurveda.com
As we discussed Psychomotor Retardation, we have come to know that the condition can be caused by a number of reasons. According to Ayurveda, the disease is caused by vata vitiation. And the condition is managed accordingly. There are a number of side effects caused by Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI), Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs), Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) and mood stabilisers. Whereas Ayurvedic treatment manages the condition according to the dosha vitiation. And in the case of Psychomotor Retardation, the treatment is based on vata pacification. Furthermore, the formulations mentioned above give strength to the nerves and musculoskeletal system and relieves symptoms by fasting response and activities in the daily regimen.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Ayurvedic Solutions for Sciatica Treatment and Prevention - May 29, 2023
- How To Eat According To Ayurveda - May 24, 2023
- Treatment and Prevention of Hepatitis in Dogs Through Ayurveda - May 24, 2023
- How to Manage Costochondritis(Chest Pain) in Ayurveda? – Natural Treatment - May 19, 2023
- Treatment of Partial Empty Sella Syndrome With Herbal Remedies - May 17, 2023