COLON POLYPS AND HAEMORRHOIDS AYURVEDIC TREATMENT, CAUSES & SYMPTOMS
Colon is a part of the alimentary canal, the first and major part of a large bowel, where the absorption of water and mineral nutrients from the food serves as a storage for waste matter. The waste matter after this process is faeces and passes to the rectum. Colon is divided into four sections: ascending colon, transverse colon, descending colon and sigmoid colon that connects with rectum and anal canal. The walls of every part of the colon have different layers of tissue and the colon polyps start in the innermost layer and can grow some in all layers. In this Article we are going to discuss the growth of colon polyps and how it is different from haemorrhoids, its causes, symptoms and management as per Ayurveda aspect.
Colon polyps are small groups of cells that form on the lining of the colon that can be flat, raised or like a stalk grown in the large intestine or rectal area. This condition may show symptoms or this can also be symptomless. But this condition can later on develop into cancerous conditions because of the uncontrolled growth of cells. This condition is prevalent in both genders irrespective of their age, but commonly occurs after mid age, or in chronic smokers, or have previous or family history of developing the same condition. Some polyps are benign, others are malignant (cancerous) although these cancers can be found anywhere in the GI Tract, they are uncommon in the colon. There are many microscopic types of polyps and the adenomas or sessile serrated polyps can gradually develop with time and cause cancer. Haemorrhoids are the most common cause of rectal bleeding and polyps can also induce rectal bleeding. Due to this symptom patients often get confused and get delayed diagnosis along with delayed management of ongoing disease.
Colon polyps are small groups of cells that form on the lining of the colon that can be flat, raised or like a stalk grown in the large intestine or rectal area.
HOW COMMON ARE COLON POLYPS
Men commonly develop colon polyps after the mid age. A polyp can be the result of genetic changes in the colon lining that hampers the normal life cycle of cells.
WHO IS MORE LIKELY TO DEVELOP COLON POLYPS
- Family history of colon polyps
- Previous history of colon polyps
- Chronic inflammatory bowel disease
- Ulcerative colitis
- Crohn’s disease
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Ageing is also a major risk factor
- Chronic smoker
- Addiction of Alcohol
Most polyps are not cancerous, benign in nature but some may transform in malignant condition. Majorly this condition do not show any symptoms but some symptoms that one can feel who is having the colon polyps
- Irregularity in stool motions (Constipation and diarrhoea).
- Passage of blood mixed stool
- Abdominal pain or tenderness
- Sudden weight loss
GET TO KNOW ABOUT HAEMORRHOIDS
Haemorrhoids are the swollen or tender veins in anus and lower rectum due to increased pressure in the lower rectal area. These can develop in different locations and haemorrhoids are usually classified as Internal and external haemorrhoids.
- Internal Haemorrhoids
Develop above the pectinate line inside the rectum and are covered with the same cells of the intestinal wall. These haemorrhoids are seen during physical examinations like proctoscopy, sigmoidoscopy. It is divided into 4 grades.
- Develops into the canal but doesn’t prolapse and may result in bleeding
- Haemorrhoids may bulge out with defecation but spontaneously returns to its original position
- Haemorrhoids bulges out on straining and requires pushing inside manually.
- Bulged haemorrhoids unable to push inside leads to major discomfort, and rectal pain.
- External Haemorrhoids
These are the bulges that can be felt around the anus outside and are located usually below the pectinate line. Causes itching, irritation, pain, discomfort swelling around the anus and may show bleeding.
HAEMORRHOIDS ARE MORE COMMON IN
- People who strains a lot during defecation
- Sitting for longer times in toilet
- Suffering for recurrent diarrhoea and constipation
- Chronic cough
- Heavy weight lifters
- Family history of haemorrhoids
- Pregnant women
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HAEMORRHOIDS AND COLON POLYPS
|Patients can feel these masses inside the anus.
|Experts will help to diagnose this condition by physical examination.
|Mass can be protruded out during defecation, may or may not go back to its original position depending on the grade.
|No protruding mass is seen.
|Feeling of discomfort, pain, swelling on anal region.
|Rarely found pain.
|Itching and irritation in the surrounding area.
|Stool with mucus and bleeding
This condition can be diagnosed in several different ways
- Physical examination
- Visual inspection
- CT scan
- Stool examination
- Avoid excessive smoking and drinking.
- Reduce extra weight and normalise the body mass index
- Do daily exercise for 1-2 hours for strengthening the muscle.
- Eat healthy fruits and vegetables
- Avoid spicy and fried food
- Avoid hepatotoxic medications
Colon polyps begins with the small growths in the intestinal wall but with time it may develop into the cancerous condition and hemorrhoids are the bulged mass of anal canal due to swollen veinous system. As per Ayurveda colon polyp is correlated with Granthi and hemorrhoids are correlated with Arshas. Both conditions produced due to aggravation of tridoshas. This condition can be dangerous if not diagnosed timely or in early stages because colon polyps may have chances of malignancy. Ayurvedic medications offer effective results in the treatment of these diseases. Some of the efficient remedies are given in Ayurveda to get rid of these fatal conditions.
Some home remedies can also help to regulate the flora of intestine and relief from the digestion related conditions
- Drinking Aloe vera juice or consuming the aloe vera is helpful in cleaning the digestive tract.
- Tulsi tea consisting Arjuna, tulsi can also destroy the formation of colon polyps.
- Haridra (Curcuma longa) is beneficial in killing the cancerous cells.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) also controls the growth of cancerous cells.
- Ardrak (Zingiber officinalis), Garlic (Allium sativum) that can also restrict the growth of these cells.
- Sitz bath for haemorrhoids – Add salt with little nirgundi oil and Sphatika bhasam in Sitz bath to help shrink piles or haemorrhoids.
- Application of Nirgundi oil, jatyadi oil in the anal canal to get relief from the itching and irritation.
- Stool softeners to avoid constipation, to have painless bowel frequency.
Colon polyps and haemorrhoids are produced due to the aggravation of tridoshas that can ultimately cause the growth of cells and vasculature. This article had described the fundamental ayurvedic treatment for the restoration of imbalance of these three major bodily systems.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- AYURVEDIC HERBS FOR NURTURING LIVER - February 9, 2024
- WHAT ARE FENNEL SEEDS? HEALTH BENEFITS - February 9, 2024
- BLACK PEPPER IN AYURVEDA, HISTORY, FORMATION AND EFFECT ON HEALTH - February 7, 2024
- CORIANDER SEEDS, HISTORY, PROPERTIES & HEALTH BENEFITS - February 2, 2024
- CUMIN DEFINITION, VARIETIES, TRADITIONAL USES & ITS EFFECTS ON HEALTH - February 1, 2024