Arthritis Cure Through Ayurveda
HOW TO PREVENT ARTHRITIS WITH AYURVEDA
Arthritis has become one of the most common disorders affecting people of old age. The positive rate of arthritis has risen beyond imagination, making almost everyone aware of its symptoms and risk factors. Ayurveda has proved its efficiency in almost all aspects of diseases, needless to say, it has remarkable treatment protocols for arthritis as well. Before moving onto the emphasis on these treatment protocols, let us dig into the disease, its types, causes, and symptoms in detail.
Arthritis primarily affects the joint area. It causes pain, inflammation, and swelling in the joint area. It may also lead to degeneration of the joints. It renders the inability to perform daily physical activities in patients. It usually affects people of old age, but that does mean people of the younger generation are any less susceptible to this common disease. Predominantly susceptible joints of arthritis are:
- Lower Back
Types of Arthritis
Types of arthritis are as follows:
- Osteoarthritis: Osteoarthritis is the most common type of arthritis seen in patients. It is due to prolonged stress on the cartilage which eventually leads to its deterioration.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: Rheumatoid Arthritis is a type of autoimmune disorder in which the immune system attacks the joints system and causes inflammation.
- Ankylosing Spondylitis: Ankylosing spondylitis is the arthritis of the spine, specifically the lower back region.
- Gout: Gout is the type of arthritis in which there are formations of hard crystals of uric acid in the joint region.
- Juvenile Arthritis: Juvenile Arthritis like rheumatoid arthritis, is an autoimmune disorder but as the name suggests it affects children less than 16 years of age.
- Psoriatic Arthritis: Psoriatic Arthritis occurs in patients of psoriasis in cases when they have inflammation in the joint region.
- Reactive Arthritis: Reactive Arthritis is a type of arthritis that stimulates joint pain and inflammation due to an infection in any other part of the body. It could be in the intestines, the urinary system, or the genital region.
- Thumb Arthritis: Thumb Arthritis occurs due to the wear and tear of the cartilage situated in the joint area at the base of the thumb, specifically the carpometacarpal joint.
- Septic Arthritis: Septic Arthritis occurs also due to infection, but in this case, the infection is direct to the joint area.
Among all the above-mentioned types of arthritis, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis are the two most common types of arthritis seen in patients.
Causes of Arthritis
Causes for arthritis vary among each of its types.
- In most cases, the disease is hereditary. The genetic design of one’s body can decide its susceptibility.
- There is a higher risk of arthritis when it is preceded by a joint injury.
- As we all know, the age of a person can undoubtedly be a legit reason for them to be prone to arthritis.
- Sex also contributes as a cause for arthritis. Women are more susceptible to rheumatoid arthritis post-menopause, due to drastic hormonal alterations occurring in the body.
- In cases of reactive arthritis and septic arthritis, infections in either any part of the body or specifically in the joint region pose as the causes of arthritis.
One’s way of living can also act as an essential causative factor for this disorder. Living a lethargic life, with an absolute form of physical activities. In addition to this sedentary lifestyle, the consumption of unhealthy junk foods leads to obesity. All these factors may sound trivial, but perpetually following this kind of lifestyle causes arthritis and many other inevitable disorders. As mentioned above, due to various types of arthritis the causative factors may vary. But it is essential for a physician to rightly demarcate the diagnosis and begin with its treatment.
General Symptoms Of Arthritis
Each type of arthritis comprises its type of peculiar symptoms. The general symptoms of arthritis are as follows:
- Debilitated Movements
The disorder may also affect one’s appetite, blood constituent levels, tiredness and other complications depending upon the specific types of arthritis.
Prevention of Arthritis using Ayurvedic Protocols
Arthritis is a chronic disorder. Once diagnosed, treatment must be commenced. This is for the patient to perform normal physical activities to an extent. Though arthritis cannot be completely treated, the right treatment protocol along with religiously following this procedure is necessary. It can be rectified to an extent enabling the patient to resume their capability to perform daily chores.
The panchakarma procedures are the highlight of Ayurvedic treatment. They are also the recommended protocol for arthritis. The proper administration of these procedures along with the customized diet is recommended.
Herbs that aid in the treatment of arthritis are:
- Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is considered one of the best anti-arthritic herbs. A decoction made out of turmeric, honey, and water is considered to remarkably aid in the treatment of arthritis.
- Preparation of Ginger (Zingiber officinale) with water also renders astonishing results.
- Cloves of Garlic (Allium sativum) prepared with milk also bring out astounding results.
- Nirgundi (Vitex negundo) has amazing anti-inflammatory properties. It is efficiently used in reducing pain and swelling. Oils made of nirgundi can be directly applied to joints as well.
- Ajamoda (Apium graveolens) also acts as an anti-inflammatory herb. Either immersing the joint in the preparation made with Ajamoda and water or applying a paste of this drug, both have astonishing results.
Dashamoola comprises 10 drugs, namely
These drugs also act as anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, and relieve pain. Shallaki (Boswellia serrata) keeps the joint strong and reduces swelling and pain. Numerous other herbs help in the treatment of arthritis. Along with using these herbs, slight exercise, daily massages are also recommended.
But it is essential to keep in mind the pathya that must be followed while taking these treatments. Each treatment will have its specific norms of pathya. Some of the general pathya are avoidance of cold water and food, food that does not cause indigestion, food that elevates the digestive capacity of an individual, avoidance of over-exercise, waking up till late hours in the night.
Following the above-mentioned protocols will unquestionably bring out remarkable results in a patient.
We need to lead a healthy lifestyle. Only when we remain healthy can we lead a disease-free life. Our ultimate goal in life must be to adopt a healthy regimen, be it in terms of food or physical activities. Only when one remains healthy and has the optimum energy can one fulfill their dreams and desires.
Even when affected by disease one must always try to follow the treatment protocols prescribed by their physician. Even if it is an incurable disease, the right pathya will undoubtedly reduce the complications and enable the patient to resume their daily activities.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- What is Urticarial Vasculitis? – Causes, Symptoms and Ayurvedic Treatment - March 23, 2023
- Lower Back Pain & its Natural Management Ayurveda - March 16, 2023
- Herbal Remedies for Meralgia Paresthetica (Bernhardt-Roth Syndrome) - March 15, 2023
- Scotty Cramp Disease in Scottish Terriers - March 13, 2023
- Treatment of Granulomatous Meningoencephalitis (GME) in Dogs - February 18, 2023