What is Hyphema?-How Can It be Treated with Ayurveda
Eyes are the vital human organ. With which a person sees the beautiful world. They are prone to injuries and ophthalmological disorders. Hyphema is the presence of blood in the anterior chamber of the eye. Main cause of hyphema is trauma during sports. It can cause moderate to severe discomfort in the affected eye whereas loss of vision can also happen in severe cases of traumatic injury. In the article we shall look into some detail of an eye disorder named Hyphema. Moreover we shall look into its management in the contemporary system of medicine as well as Ayurvedic management. Let’s see!!
Eyes are the delicate organ of the human body. It enables a human to see the creation of the almighty. With some injuries and disorders, eyes get hurt. And results in improper vision, redness, excessive lacrimation, pain , sensitivity to light etc. As eyes are delicate organs, thus prone to get damaged or hurt by the physical elements. Thus it becomes important to take good care of the eyes. Hyphema is one of the ophthalmic/eye disorders that is usually caused mostly as a result of sports injury and some other medical conditions. Hyphema is accumulation of blood in the anterior chamber of the eye. Anterior chamber is enclosed between cornea in the anterior and posteriorly iris (the colored part). Anterior chamber is filled with aqueous humour. Immediate attention is required in the case of Hyphema. In this article, we shall look into Hyphema and allopathic and ayurvedic management.
What is Hyphema?
Hyphema is the collection of blood in the anterior chamber of the eye which is followed by some traumatic injury of the adjacent parts of the related eye. Blood cells get accumulated partially or completely in the anterior chamber blocking vision partially or completely according to the extent of the accumulation. It is usually painful, if left untreated, it may result in loss of vision.
In Ayurveda, hyphema is related to the pitta dosha and rakta dhatu vitiation. Furthermore, abhighata, that is trauma, is the main reason for the disease. Whereas, other medical conditions are related to kapha vitiated that leads to clogging of microchannels that is srotoavrodh leads to increased ocular pressure. In this condition, treatment is according to the dosha dominance and vitiation. Whereas rasayana also helps as rasayana are chakushsya (beneficial for eye health).
Key Causes of Hyphema
- Most of the cases include sports injuries as a history such as baseball, soccer, paintball, basketball, softball.
- Moreover , airbags going off at the time of accident can cause hyphema as well.
- Medical conditions like haemophilia, sickle cell disease, diabetes, leukaemia, von willebrand disease.
- People who are taking blood thinning medication that are anticoagulants may also get hyphema.
- Surgery of the eye can lead to Hyphema. Eg. artificial lens implants.
- Infectious condition of the eye. (Herpes virus)
- Cancerous condition of the eye.
- Inflammatory conditions of the eye components. Eg. Uveitis
Signs and Symptoms of Hyphema
- Redness in the eye.
- Blurred vision or distorted vision in the affected eye.
- Light sensitivity.
- Visible accumulation of blood cells in the anterior chamber of the eye.
- Pain in the associated eye.
- Slit lamp examination is used to diagnose any eye disorder as it helps in viewing the eye in three dimensions.
- Tonometry is used to check intraocular pressure.
- A CT scan help if the injury is severe to check any fracture associated with the orbit (eye socket)
- Rest is necessary following the injury that leads to hyphema, to keep the intraocular pressure normal in order to get early relief.
- Wearing eyepatch relieves the eye and enhances healing.
- Elevating the head side from the heart is necessary to build up blood drain away from the eye.
- Most of the hyphema absorbs spontaneously tus requires no treatment.
- Hyphema, that is large and associated with increased intraocular pressure, should be lowered by acetazolamide and hyperosmotic agents.if the blood does not get absorbed in a week’ time, then paracentesis is done to drain the accumulated blood.
- Prevention of the hyphema can be done by treating medical conditions related to disorder and wearing eye protection during sports can be helpful.
Herbal remedies for Hyphema by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is a renowned GMP certified, US-FDA registered and ISO 9001:2015 certified Ayurvedic Company, which adhered to the objective of manufacturing standard Ayurvedic medicines as described in the various ancient texts of Ayurveda. Medicines are produced without additives and preservatives and other kinds of chemicals which causes many ill effects on the human body. Formulations prepared at Planet Ayurveda are pure and devoid of any adulteration. Planet Ayurveda has manufactured some impressive formulations that enhance eye health and miracle in the disorders related to eyes. Let’s have a look at the products that are beneficial in relieving the Hyphema.
Products are as follows
- Gotu Kola capsules
- Dhatri loha
- Saptamrit loha
- Angel eye vitale
- Jasnoor eye drop
1. Gotu Kola capsules
Gotukola (Centella asiatica) is its main ingredient. It is used in hemorrhagic conditions caused by trauma. As in case with hyphema, haemorrhage is needed to be stopped. Thus Gotukola is here to help. Moreover Gotukola has a blood purifier property thus helping in cleansing the blood. And it is also beneficial in inflammatory conditions caused by trauma to the eye. Furthermore it boosts immunity. Thus it works efficiently in curing Hyphema.
Dosage : one capsule twice daily with plain water after meals.
2. Saptamrit loha
It is a herbomineral formula. It is the most indicated formulation in all eye anomalies. It contains Yastimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Amalaki (Emblica officianlis), Bibhitaki (Terminalia billerica), Haritki (Terminalia chebula), lauh bhasma (iron ash). It prevents night blindness, immature cataract and is also useful in relieving computer vision syndrome. Further it is also beneficial in glaucoma, myopia and dry eye. Moreover it is used in skin, hair and digestion related problems. Therefore it is useful in Hyphema.
Dosage : 1 tablet twice a day with plain water after meals.
3. Dhatri loha
It is blend of Dhatri (Emblica officinalis), lauh bhasm (iron calx), yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), and giloy swaras (juice of Tinospora cordifolia). This formulation balances all three doshas. Emblica officinalis do wonders in eye caring as it belongs to the category of Rasayanas. Iron is essential in bleeding disorders and performs normal functioning of the cornea. Iron maintains the normal functioning of the optic nerve thus is required for proper vision. Yashtimadhu helps in coagulation in cases of haemorrhage. Furthermore, it also gives strength to nerves. Giloy helps as an analgesic, thus relieves pain in Hyphema.
Dosage : 1-2 tablets twice a day with plain water after meals.
4. Angel Eye Vitale
It contains Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Gotukola (Centella asiatica), Bhringaraj (Eclipta alba). Amalkai is a rasayana, therefore rejuvenates eye cells. Gotukola and Bhringraj are chakushya thus promote the health of the eyes. These by promoting the wellness of the eye helps in overcoming Hyphema. Therefore Angel Eye Vitale should be taken by Hyphema patients as per following mentioned dosage.
Dosage :1-2 Capsules once or twice daily with plain water after meals..
5. Jasnoor Eye drop
It is a herbal eye drop formulation. It is contains neem (Azadirachta indica), tulsi (Ocimum sanctum), haritaki (Terminalia chebula), bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica), amalaki (emblica officinalis), shwet chandan (Santalum album) and others. It is beneficial in eye disorders. It relieves symptoms of hyphema, thus is beneficial in the same as well as other eye diseases.
Dosage : 2 drops in each eye twice a day.
Contact Planet Ayurveda to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – firstname.lastname@example.org or call at +91-172-5214040 Or Check Website – www.PlanetAyurveda.com
So as we have discussed Hyphema and its features. And as well management of Hyphema in the contemporary medicine system as well as ayurvedic management of the same. It comes out that Ayurveda has many herbs which are beneficial in improving eye vision as well as preventing certain diseases related to eyes. Aforesaid formulations have been prepared by Planet Ayurveda which is successfully helping patients with various eye ailments. Ayurveda has much to offer and Planet Ayurveda is properly utilising Ayurveda and helping patients with various chronic illnesses.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- What is Hyphema?-How Can It be Treated with Ayurveda - September 16, 2022
- Scapular Dyskinesis & Its Treatment With Herbal Remedies - September 16, 2022
- An Ayurvedic Aspect On Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) - September 10, 2022
- Transient Ischemic Attack & Its Ayurvedic Treatment - September 7, 2022
- Efficacy of Dostarlimab in Treating Cancer And Its Effects And How Ayurveda Helps In It? - September 1, 2022