Lower Back Pain & its Natural Management Ayurveda
LOWER BACK PAIN OR LUMBAR SACRAL REGION PAIN.
Lower back pain is the leading cause of disability nowadays and a common issue in every second home and interferes with quality of life and work performance. Lower back pain can be acute, subacute or chronic. There are a few cases if you see them because they are specific and most of the cases are non-specific. Acute pain is the most common and self-limiting, lasting less than three months despite treatment. Chronic pain is a more complex issue, which constantly has strong psychological overspread: work dissatisfaction, restlessness, and an adequate compensation system contribute to it. Diagnosis offered for chronic pain is Fibromyalgia. However disc protrusion detected on X-rays is generally blamed, they are hardly responsible for pain and surgery uncommonly successful at alleviating it . Lower back pain is the most common health complaint in the age group of 35-50yr in both sexes. Above 5o yrs. It is associated with various diseases as well, like diabetes or high BP.
In this description, we have discussed lower back pain, its Natural management, and the Ayurvedic view. Ayurveda recommends the Best use of herbs and natural remedies following Panchakarma.
In today’s fast life, back pain is a very painful condition that affects the lower spine and can result from muscle and ligament injury. There are several agents that influence the wear and tear of muscle and ligaments, including sedentary lifestyle, improper posture, inflammation of joints etc. Which results in lower back pain due to decrease in muscle mass or absence of healthy muscle that gives support to our spine. The pain ranges from dull to severe.
- Ayurveda refers to this condition as Kati shoola.
- Kati refers to ‘low back’ (hip) and shola refers to ‘pain’
Ayurveda Treatment for lower back pain is focused on toning as well as strengthening the back. The degeneration and straining results in pain from dull to severe. According to Ayurveda chronic lower back pain is a result of Vata imbalance and results in weakening of bones and muscles.
The best part of Ayurvedic Treatment is Doctor’s prescription is based on the root cause of the pain.
SIGN AND SYMPTOMS
- LOWER BACK PAIN is categorized as acute (short term) and chronic.
- Acute low back pain lasts from a few days to a few weeks. Most acute pain resolves on its own.
- Chronic low back pain lasts for three months and often gets worse.
Most common symptom of LBP:
- Sharp or dull
There are some specific issues where low back pain may be premonitory symptoms in
- Fistula in ano
- Gouty arthritis
- Emaciation disorder
If it is secondary, an early history of fall or injury but lower back pain is quite common in the defects in the disc between vertebrae (back bone). Sometimes the movement of the lumbar –sacral region like flexion and rotation are disturbed either partially or completely.
Low back pain mild in case of
- Anaemia sciatica
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Urinary calculi
- Uterine disorders
Below are the causes of
- Poor muscle tone in back
- Fall or injury to the back
- Obesity (often increases weight on the spine and pressure on the disc)
- Sprain or strain
- Muscle tension
- Ligament or muscle tear
- Herniated slip disc
- Weight lifting
- Brick walk
- Suppression of the urge
- Excess sexual indulgence
- Abnormal growth (tumour)
- Disease (osteoarthritis,spondylitis,compression fracture)
- Joint problems
- Fasting or injury to the back
- Injury to vital points
- Intake of dry, light, bitter, pungent and cold food
- Less food intake
- Work exhaustion
- Intake of green gram, red lentil, peanut etc.
Along with medical history and physical examination, tests for lower back pain may involve:
- CT -scan
- Radionuclide bone scan
AYURVEDIC TREATMENT (PANCHAKARMA) FOR LOWER BACK PAIN
General Principle of treatment of lower back pain which we call vata dosha (katishool) in the Ayurvedic aspect.
Various measures to give treatment (panchakarma) according to associated complaints.
1. Snehana (oleation)
By pouring oil, oil massage, tub bath with medicated herbal oil, retaining medicament on the back. It helps in calming the vata dosha and balancing the dosha.
2. Swedana (sudation)
Avagaha sweda (Sweating treatment with tub bath) pichhil (kayaseka), Nadi sweda ( sudation through a tubular device, local sudation), pinda sweda (sudation through medicated paste and powder). It helps provide relief in stiffness and relief in pain which can be very effective in the long run.
3. Mridu Samshodhana
4. Basti (medicated enema)
use of eranda basti, vaitarana basti, pippalyadi anuvasana basti etc. Administration of medicated enemas also gives so much relief.
5. Agni karma
Use of thermal micro cautery for back pain where an instrument known as Agni karma shalaka is used to heat up specific areas to provide relief from pain.
PANCHAKARMA THERAPY CAN BE VERY EFFECTIVE AND PROVIDE GOOD RESULTS.
AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR LOWER BACK PAIN BY PLANET AYURVEDA
Planet ayurveda is a GMP certified ayurvedic herbal manufacturing unit offering herbal products all over the world. These herbal products are safe and contain numerous health benefits. Planet ayurveda’s ayurvedic herbal medicine that helps in lowering back pain as follows
1. YOGAJ GUGGUL
Ayurvedic herbal mineral preparation. It is used in joint and muscle disorders with anti-inflammatory properties and is antispasmodic. It works as muscle relaxant, anti- 0besity and also reduces stiffness, tenderness, muscle pain and tiredness. It has very effective properties. Various therapeutic herbs like shuddha guggulu, triphala powder , Dried ginger (zingiber officinale), pippali (long pepper fruit ), Mustard seed, white cumin etc.
Dosage– 2 tabs twice daily with p[lain water after a meal.
2. Joint aid plus
It is widely used for joint pain relief. It is free from chemicals, preservatives, colours, and yeast. It is supportive in maintaining healthy joints, Herbs used in joint aid plus: Nirgundi (Vitex negundo), shallaki (Boswellia serrata), guggul (commiphora mukul), sonth (zingiber officinale), Ashwagandha (withania somnifera).
Dosage: 1-2 capsules twice daily with plain water after a meal.
3. Boswellia curcumin
Boswellia curcumin capsules are safe and effective herbal medicine for inflammatory conditions in lower back pain. It helps in reducing swelling and pain and helps in increasing the range of motion and stamina. Herbs used in Boswellia curcumin are Shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and Haridra (Curcuma longa).
DOSAGE: 1 Capsule twice daily after meal with plain water
4. Balashwagadha oil
Bala Ashwagandha oil helps in restorative, strengthen muscles, and tone up the nerves improving nerve conduction.
Direction: Apply mild heated oil on entire body or affected part.
AYURVEDIC HOME REMEDIES AND LIFESTYLE TIPS
1. GINGER (Adrak)
Use of Ginger can become a very useful home remedy in controlling lower back pain. It has anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds that can reduce any type of pain in the body.
USAGE: Along with tea, Garnishing vegetables, and organic mixed beverages.
2. Turmeric (haldi)
It has been used to treat no. of problems that are associated with inflammation and pain in the body. It has natural properties for injuries and problems related to managing damaged cells in the body. It reduces pain along with an anti-bacterial property that prevents later infections.
USAGE: HOT GOLDEN MILK (TURMERIC)
3. Ajwain (carom seed)
It can be used to give relief in lower back pain caused by muscle pull, sitting and sleeping in wrong posture and muscle related issues.
Usage: Ajwain with lukewarm water.
LIFESTYLE CHANGES AND YOGA DAILY ROUTINE TO REDUCE LOWER BACK PAIN
With the current pandemic situation forcing all of us to stay indoors with restricted access, a sedentary lifestyle has taken very many households where parents work from home and children learn from home. Long sitting habits with bad posture and limited or no exercise is damaging or weakens the back muscles to an extent.
- Sleep on your side with pillows between the knees for support.
- Sleep on your back with a pillow placed below your knees for support
- Sleep on your stomach and place a pillow below your hips for support.
- Daily massage with warm medicated herbal oil to maintain optimal level of dosha . Mahanarayan oiL has analgesic properties and penetrates deep into skin improves circulation and relaxes muscles.
- Use of Dhanwantharam oil works to rid of toxins and boost circulation while relieving numbness of the back muscles.
SITTING POSTURE ADVICE
- Sit with a back support at the curve of your back.
- Keep your hips and knees at the right angle. Your legs should not be crossed and your feet should be flat on the floor. Don’t lift heavy things.
- Red rice
- Black gram
- Drum stick
- Small brinjal
- Sweet food
- Snake gourd
UNWHOLESOME DIET AND HABIT
- Bitter, astringent and pungent food
- Blue berry
- Cold water
- Dhanurasana- Strengthens the lower back and abdominal muscles.
- Natarajasana- Tones lower back along with hips and muscles, making the spine flexible.
- Setu Bandhasana- The pose strengthens the lower back and provides relief from backache.
- Mats asana- The pose eases tension in the lower back while enhancing blood circulation in the hip joint.
- Naukasana- Strengthen the back along with abdominal muscles.
- Marjarisana- Strengthens lower and upper back, and gives flexibility to the entire spinal cord.
Lower back pain is itself a problem but it also plays a role as a symptom in many health diseases. Surgery and allopathic medicine are not the key solution to this issue. We should focus on self-management and Ayurvedic and natural treatment for this disease to get a better result in the long term.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- What is Urticarial Vasculitis? – Causes, Symptoms and Ayurvedic Treatment - March 23, 2023
- Lower Back Pain & its Natural Management Ayurveda - March 16, 2023
- Herbal Remedies for Meralgia Paresthetica (Bernhardt-Roth Syndrome) - March 15, 2023
- Scotty Cramp Disease in Scottish Terriers - March 13, 2023
- Treatment of Granulomatous Meningoencephalitis (GME) in Dogs - February 18, 2023