Ayurveda and Kitchen Pharmacy
Our recovery, a stranglehold on various ailments, and an outlook for our well-being… The kitchen is the starting point. Isn’t that so? It’s largely what we eat that’s cooked there. We know that junk food is bad for our health, therefore it may not be the other way around every day. So, in general, kitchen staples are the most effective treatments for a wide range of diseases. A bowl of scrumptious home-cooked meals, in fact, not only fills your appetite, but also nourishes your body and keeps up with the health requirements. And, according to the ancient medical philosophy, eating in an Ayurvedic manner is recommended for a long and healthy life. This is when the idea of an Ayurvedic Kitchen Pharmacy begins to take shape. So here’s a quick summary of why and how you should set it up.!
Your Ayurvedic Kitchen is your Pharmacy
In order to create an Ayurvedic kitchen, three key elements must be considered.
- Sattvic foods
- Fresh, raw, and organic products
- Spices and herbs
Sattvic Foods : The Nourishers
Sattvic foods are foods that help to maintain a healthy balance in the body. Fresh organic fruits and vegetables, the majority of the legumes, whole grains, nuts, ghee, milk, beans and lentils, honey, plant-based oils, molasses, and spices like ginger, mustard, coriander, cumin, cinnamon and turmeric are all examples. Sattvic diets are easy to digest, hence called Laghu in guna and are bursting with energy.
Going green…Going Organic.!
When it comes to obtaining raw materials, be certain they are organic and include natural foods. Because even if you set up an Ayurvedic Kitchen, if everything you acquire is artificially created and sprayed with multiple dangerous pesticides, your efforts to live a more natural lifestyle will be in vain. So collect your veggies and greens, as well as fresh fruits and legumes, from an organic farm. You can also grow your own greens and Vegetables which would be the best idea !
Spices and herbs
It is impossible to overestimate the importance of flavour and taste in cooking. Ayurveda makes extensive use of herbs and spices. Every plant and spice contains natural therapeutic properties. Yes, you gain a lot of benefits. Herbs and spices are not only flavorful, but they are also beneficial to your health. Cooking with fresh ginger, for example, can help with digestion.
A substantial stock of fresh and dried herbs, as well as a variety of spices, should always be on hand.
The most important elements for a Kitchen Pharmacy
The type of vessels to use: Ayurvedic cooking is about more than just the food; it’s also about the vessels you use.
- In South Asian countries, the story of the mud utensils goes back to ancient times as it balances the pH of the body, gives vitamins, and improves the flavor of food. So this could be a call for your Ayurvedic Kitchen.
- Iron Utensils – Iron pots or containers, pans and lids made of iron have been used for generations because of their multiple health benefits. Getting adequate iron, which helps to avoid anemia, is one of the most important factors.
- Copper is a metal that is used to store water and provides a variety of health benefits. It improves immunity, slows the aging process, and offers a slew of other advantages.
Your Medicine Cabinet
1. Basil (Tulsi)
Basil’s essential oils, such as eugenol, linalool, and citronellol, can aid the body combat inflammation. These anti-inflammatory qualities may aid in the prevention of diseases such as arthritis. Irritable bowel syndrome and heart disease are two of the most common health problems which could be kept at bay via these green leaves which also process antibacterial activity.
Kitchen Tip : 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil, steeped for 5 minutes in boiling water, then strained To help with digestive troubles, sweeten to taste with raw honey and drink slowly. Coughs can be relieved with this as well.
Ginger is high in antioxidants, which protect your body’s DNA from stress and harm. They may aid in the prevention of chronic diseases such as high blood pressure and resultant heart disease, and lung disorders, as well as it promotes good aging and fans up bio-fire.
Kitchen Tip : Ginger tea and ginger water which will give you added nutrients.
These molecules aid in the battle against free radicals, which can harm your cells and cause disease. The antioxidants in cloves help to reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and certain malignancies by eliminating free radicals from your system.
Kitchen Tip : Boil a teaspoon of whole cloves in water till it steams. Serve in medium heat and for best benefits consume before bedtime. High in omega3 fatty acids, Vitamins, manganese etc.
Nutmeg is high in antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory plant compounds which can help prevent you from aging and dangerous illnesses including heart disorders, malignancies and liver diseases. Nutmeg has been shown to cure pain, soothe indigestion, promote cognitive function, detoxify the body, raise skin health, alleviate dental problems, reduce insomnia, boost immune system, prevent leukemia, and improve blood circulation, among other things.
How to stock up for an Ayurvedic Kitchen Pharmacy?
The key to healthy eating is to have a kitchen filled with the most natural and colorful ingredients and basics.
Fruits and Vegetables
- Sweet potato
- Eggs (Organic pasture-raised)
- Mung beans
- black eyed peas
- Green lentils and
- cannellini beans.
- Dairy – Organic and unhomogenised. Dairy which is fresh from cow and goat or can be stored in the transformed forms other than milk as Yogurt, and Paneer both of which are best homemade. Nut milk is also an option.
- Butter – Butter freshly churned, unsalted and organic that could be easily homemade can also be processed into ghee.
- Ghee – Ghee is the most important in Ayurveda which will light up your entire physiology from complexion to intellect. More than packaged it’s Homemade Fresh Cow’s ghee we are talking about.!
It’s also to be noted that refrigeration isn’t a good option. So instead, find a cool place near the well or water area in your property as your kitchen which faces the rising sun. That’s how traditional cooking areas were set up. If the place you choose for an ayurvedic kitchen is naturally cool then the probability is you may not need refrigeration or artificial coolants for storage.
- Stock organic dry goods (spices and teas).
- Dried fruits including apricots or dates, figs and prunes, coconut, raisins etc that are organic and sulfur-free.
Whole Grains including
- White and brown basmati rice
- Quinoa or
- Steel-cut oats
- Whole Grain flours – grind your grains when possible to make fresh flour.
- Nuts and Seeds that are rich in minerals and calcium like cashews, almonds, sunflower seeds etc.
Cold-pressed oils (raw or unrefined)
- Ghee (best if selfmade)
- Coconut oil
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sesame oil
- Rice bran oil.
- Pure maple syrup.
- Raw local honey.
- Jaggery (unrefined cane sugar).
- Apple cider vinegar.
- Tamari (instead of soy sauce).
- Coconut milk (fresh and homemade and not canned)
- Natural pink/sea salt.
- Whole black pepper seeds.
- Liquorice root.
- Ginger tea.
Ayurveda recommends that the kitchen be small or big, it be red, throbbing, and full of love, just like the heart. The kitchen is where a healthy and active lifestyle begins. To kickstart your healthy lifestyle, set up an Ayurvedic kitchen. Happy Cooking ! In case of any query kindly visit www.planetayurveda.com
Dr. Vikram Chauhan
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- How To Eat According To Ayurveda - May 24, 2023
- Treatment and Prevention of Hepatitis in Dogs Through Ayurveda - May 24, 2023
- How to Manage Costochondritis(Chest Pain) in Ayurveda? – Natural Treatment - May 19, 2023
- Treatment of Partial Empty Sella Syndrome With Herbal Remedies - May 17, 2023
- Herbal Remedies for the Treatment of Blastomycosis - May 15, 2023