All Kind Colles Fracture Treatment By Herbal Remedies
If you break your wrist then you might have a chance of getting a Colles Fracture. This always occurs when we fall on our wrist or we try to catch ourselves from falling so we put our wrist on the ground to avoid direct injury to our chest. Very commonly seen in road accidents or falling from a height on the anterior side. It is a painful traumatic injury and needs emergency management. It might take months to heal and recover the movement of the wrist effectively. This fracture is named after an Irish surgeon, Abraham Colles first described it in 1814. He simply looked at the deformity and diagnosed this as a fracture before the advent of X-rays technology. In this article, we are going to discuss Colles fracture, its possible reasons, clinical presentation, and ayurvedic management of colles fracture with herbal remedies.
A Colles fracture or broken wrist is a complete fracture of the radius bone of the forearm at the distal end. It appears with dorsal angulation which is the upward angle approximately 20-35 mm proximal to the articular surface as a linear transverse fracture. This occurs in the distal radius is the location of the fracture, not the carpal bones of the wrist. This fracture is very common, and is said to be like one of every ten broken bones is a broken wrist. It is the most frequently broken bone in the arm. Radial bone breaks by the lower end, usually from where it meets with carpal bones to the thumb side. It’s also known as a distal radius fracture, a dinner-fork deformity, and a transverse wrist fracture, a very painful condition, the wrist will get swollen and lose its power to hold or grip something. It commonly occurs after 50 years of age, or in children, because they have brittle bones (soft bones).
- This fracture happens when the body falls on the outstretched hand associated with dorsal and radial displacement of the distal fragment, which totally results in hampering the radial-ulnar joint articulation.
- This appears mostly in females compared to males or in children and elderly people and its very most common reason is Osteoporosis.
- It is a strong reason behind the Colles fracture because when bone mineral density decreases it causes bones to become weak and brittle.
- If younger patients sustain Colles fractures that may involve high-impact trauma like skiing, road accidents, horse riding, etc.
Sign and Symptoms
A broken wrist can include various symptoms like
- Resemble the curvature of a dinner fork, the forearm is angled posteriorly just proximal to the wrist with the normal curved-forward arch of the hand.
- Pain in the dorsal wrist.
- History of fall on an outstretched hand
- Signs of inflammation may be seen on the patient’s wrist like swelling, redness etc.
- Not having the capacity of holding or gripping the object with a hand.
- Numbness, tenderness, and bruising on the fractured part.
Facts of Colles Fracture
- The distal radius is the location of the fracture, not the carpal bones of the wrist.
- Transverse fracture of the radius proximal to the radiocarpal joint approximately 20-35 mm
- Most frequently seen in elderly women and particularly from simply falling on an outstretched hand in a ground-level fall.
Stable Colles’ fractures present with minimal comminution that does not show any complications or harm to the neighbouring structure.
Unstable fractures are distinctly comminuted often with communicating idiomatic expressions of the radial or ulnar styloid, that have the potential to cause compression neuropathies, especially of the median nerve.
Other Complications that have been Reported are
- Degenerative joint disease.
- Reflex sympathetic dystrophy (burning pain in your arms, legs, hands, or feet)
- Compartment Syndrome (applied too much pressure on neighbouring muscles)
- Paralysis of the median nerve
- Carpal tunnel syndrome – compression of the nerves that pass from the wrist results in pain and numbness of the hand.
As per Ayurveda,fractures are correlated by Bhagna. Acharya Sushruta has widely described Bhagna. He has explained the types of fracture, nature of the fracture, shape of the fracture, and displacements of fracture fragments. He called the bone fracture the Kand Bhagna. Conservative management includes the kushabandha, alepa and improves the nutritional status and immunity of the patient. Even in injuries requiring surgical interventions Ayurvedic medications play a crucial role as adjuvant therapy, which helps to heal the fracture and decrease the inflammation chances to appear.
- If the broken wrist is not in the correct position then your physician will give traction and put it in the normal position.
- This procedure might be painful but it is always done under anaesthesia and after that the patient is advised to take NSAIDs.
- Splintage or caste are applied according to the patient’s condition. If the patient has signs of inflammation like swelling or redness then you might use splinting for a few days or 1-2 weeks. When these symptoms go away then a cast should be applied over the fracture.
- This part is advised to rest in an immobilisation state so that the fractured fragment cannot slip from its normal position.
- Regular X-rays are advised to make sure, the fracture is healing or not and for having a continued look at the fractured part.
- With this treatment strategy, you can also add Ayurvedic medications that are very helpful in managing the condition effectively and improve the healing process of the body.
Herbal Remedies For Colles Fracture By Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is a GMP-certified herbal company that provides effective herbal formulations to the needful person. These are totally free from side effects because they are made with 100% natural ingredients. Planet Ayurveda prepares these formulations without adding any chemicals, preservatives, colours, or binders. Here the formulations are manufactured under the guidance of Ayurvedic doctors that are the most experienced ones. Herbal remedies are prescribed to a patient who has fractures in their bones to heal it faster and to improve bone density.
- Lakshadi Guggul
- Cissus Power
- Ashwagandhadi Ghrit
- Bone Support
- Dashmoola Capsules
1. LAKSHADI GUGGUL
This is a classical herbal formulation manufactured by Planet Ayurveda with all the natural ingredients like Laksha (Laccifer lacca), Asthisamharaka (Cissus quadrangularis), and many more. These all herbs are mentioned by Acharya Sushrut to heal the fractures and boost the binding capacity of the bones. It provides strength to the joints and acts as a great anti-inflammatory in nature.
Dosage: 1 tablet twice or thrice daily with lukewarm water.
2. CISSUS POWER
This is a patent herbal formulation that is prepared by Planet Ayurveda consisting of Hadjod herb Cissus quadrangularis and is very beneficial in maintaining bone health. It helps to strengthen the muscles or gives proper nutrition to the broken part of the bone. It acts as an analgesic medicine and fastens the healing process.
Dosage: 2 Capsules twice daily, with plain water, after meals.
3. ASHWAGANDHADI GHRIT
This is a classical herbal formulation prepared by Planet Ayurveda consisting of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Vibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica), cow’s milk, cow’s ghee. It is mainly used in the imbalance tridoshas treatment that also helps to gain strength for the body by balancing Vata, Pitta, and Kapha dosha and helps to keep safe from various infections.
Dosage: 1 tsp to 2 tsp mixed with warm water.
4. BONE SUPPORT
This is a patent polyherbal formulation manufactured by Planet Ayurveda that consists of shuddha Laksha (Laccifer lacca), suhanjana beej (Moringa oleifera), and many more herbs that are helpful in attaining the normal structure of the body, reduces the bone degeneration processes, heals osteoporosis and strengthening the bones and joints effectively.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily, after meals with plain water.
5. DASHMOOLA CAPSULES
This is prepared by the classical method that is mentioned by Acharyas in classical Samhitas consists of various herbs like bilwa (Aegle marmelos), patla (Stereospermum suaveolens) and many more. All herbs are very helpful in balancing all the dosha but predominantly show their impact on vata dosha which is the leading cause of pain in fractures. This herbal articulation helps to gain the strength of bones and muscles.
Dosage: 1-2 Capsules twice daily, with plain water, after meals.
After gaining recovery from the fracture, these medications will also help to attain the normal functioning of fractured parts. Like in Colles fracture, these medications will help to regain wrist movement.
Patients are advised to take hot sedation therapies to relax the muscles of the fractured part. This can be done by taking some hot water or can take a decoction of Nirgundi leaves (Vitex negundo) and then soaking your hand or fractured parts for 15-20 minutes in that liquid. This will help to demolish the pain and regain the mobility of joints.
Ayurvedic formulation will help you to regain your musculoskeletal strength in the body. These herbal articulations help to fasten the healing process and beliefs to rectify the symptoms like pain or post-recovery immobilisation. Ayurvedic medicines not only act on the broken bone, rather these all will help to eradicate osteoporosis and other complications associated with fracture.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- AYURVEDIC HERBS FOR NURTURING LIVER - February 9, 2024
- WHAT ARE FENNEL SEEDS? HEALTH BENEFITS - February 9, 2024
- BLACK PEPPER IN AYURVEDA, HISTORY, FORMATION AND EFFECT ON HEALTH - February 7, 2024
- CORIANDER SEEDS, HISTORY, PROPERTIES & HEALTH BENEFITS - February 2, 2024
- CUMIN DEFINITION, VARIETIES, TRADITIONAL USES & ITS EFFECTS ON HEALTH - February 1, 2024