Ayurvedic Treatment For Hearing Loss In Children
Ear is the organ that controls the hearing mechanism and maintains the equilibrium in the body. It receives the sound waves and converts them into proper sounds and sends signals to the brain then we respond naturally. Hearing loss in children can directly affect a child’s ability to develop language, speech and other major social skills that play an important role in our daily life. This can happen when any part of the ear is not working in its normal way. The 8th cranial nerve, also named as Vestibulocochlear nerve, located in internal auditory meatus consists of two branches Vestibular and Cochlear. The vestibular branch maintains the balance and the Cochlear part maintains hearing. When the nerve conduction is hindered by any cause it may lead to disturbance in hearing. One governmental survey shows that about 15% of kids and teens are suffering from hearing loss. WHO estimates that approximately 60% of children’s hearing loss can be avoided by taking precautions, when unpreventable, arbitrations are needed to make sure that children extend their full potential through improvement, empowerment and education. We are going to discuss the causes and symptoms of this disease in this article.
As the way humans recognize their world is connected through sensory stimulations experiences. It is the hearing property which basically smoothens the way of communication and encourage Social interaction, allowing people to build up relationships, takes role in daily activities, being vigilant to danger and experiencing new life adventures. Most low-income and middle – income countries have a major disabled population; nearly 32 million of children are being affected. Hearing is the key for children to learn language, academic and social activities and hearing loss creates a barrier for them to learn these integrations. So if this entity is identified in early stages of life and treated with proper mediation children will benefit greatly.
Causes Of Hearing Loss In Children
This disease can be caused by many factors –
- Genetic Factors – 40% of children’s hearing loss is genetically. This condition is mostly found in consanguineous marriages. Congenital malformation of the ear or hearing nerve are also the result of genetic factors.
- During Birth – Low birth weight, premature birth, birth asphyxia or neonatal jaundice may also result in loss of hearing.
- Infections – Hearing loss in newborns, most commonly caused by cytomegalovirus infection or rubella, meningitis, mumps, measles or in older children wax results in ear infection.
- Impacted cerumen or non – Suppurative otitis media can lead to hearing loss.
- Medications – Such as antibiotics treating neonatal infections, malaria, drug resistant tuberculosis and cancers can result in permanent hearing loss. These medications are ototoxic in nature.
Symptoms Of Hearing Loss In Children
- If children are not responding to sounds, slow starting to talk and have difficulty in speech then their hearing may be impaired.
- It can impair child verbal and socio-emotional development.
- Watch TV in a high volume
- Difficulty in understanding words
- Repeatedly asking for repetition.
- Avoiding social togethering.
- Feeling of water or pressure in the ear.
Estimates of Preventable Hearing Loss
As per WHO guidelines, under 15 years of age 60% of hearing loss can be preventable. About 30% of hearing loss is caused by ear infections like measles, mumps, rubella or meningitis can be treated by immunisation and good hygienic habits. And about 17% of childhood hearing loss results from birth complications like premature birth, low birth weight, neonatal jaundice, birth asphyxia can be treated by upgrading maternal and child health.
Prevention and Care On Hearing Loss
Strict actions are needed to improve this condition world wide. All the government groups need to cooperate in this aspiring aim. There is a need to –
- Include the vaccination of congenital infections in national immunisation programmes and make sure about their extensive coverage.
- Upgrade maternal and neonatal care by promotion of safe birth, awareness about hygiene, nutritious food, treatment of neonatal infections and jaundice.
- Motivate the people with hearing loss and their families.
- Integrate school based hearing screening and give provision of supportive care as medicines, surgeries and rehabilitations.
- Give training to primary level health trainers about hearing loss and hearing care.
- Implement strict regulations regarding loud noise, and set standards to use personal audio devices.
- Establish awareness programmes for the hearing loss and hearing care community and promote among young children to adapt safe listening habits.
Treatment For Hearing Loss In Children
There is no single medication that can be given for hearing loss. But permanent hearing aids and surgeries may help to correct some types. As per Ayurveda aspect, this disease is caused due to Vata Dosha, aggravated vata is the major factor responsible for this disease. By taking the vata, regulating diet or management of vitiated vata can give positive results in hearing loss patients.
Herbal Remedies For Hearing Loss By Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is a herbal medicinal manufacturing company that prepares the formulations from 100% safe herbs, that are free from any side-effects and are pure without using any additives, chemicals or preservatives. It works on our body by balancing the doshas, and treating the individuals from the roots of their diseases.
- Ashwagandhaghan vati
- Brahmi Chyawanprash
- Brahmi Vati
- Kumar Kalyan Ras
1. Ashwagandhaghan Vati
This is a classical ayurvedic herb mentioned in ancient ayurvedic texts and its main ingredient is Ashwagandha extract (Withania somnifera). Ashwagandha is anti-inflammatory, helps to increase the strength and immunity. It is used to treat debilitating conditions, hearing loss, nerve regeneration, bipolar activities.
Dosage: 1-2 tablets twice or thrice daily with lukewarm water.
2. Brahmi Chyawanprash
This is a polyherbal product given by Planet Ayurveda consisting of Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Bala (Sida cordifolia) etc. This formulation helps in balancing all the doshas, dhatus and malas. It helps to reduce pain, discomfort, nourishes the brain, improves many neurological disorders, vertigo, mental fatigue.
Dosage: 1 teaspoons, twice to thrice daily after meals, preferably with milk.
3. Brahmi Vati
This is classical articulation consisting of Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis), Vacha (Acorus calamus). It specially pacifies Vata dosha, useful for maintaining immunity, strengthens the intellectual abilities and improves brain activity.
Dosage: 1-2 tablets twice or thrice daily with lukewarm water.
4. Kumar Kalyan Ras
This is a classical formulation mentioned in ayurvedic texts consisting of kumari rasa (Aloe barbadensis), Shudha parada (purified mercury). It helps to cure paediatric diseases, ensures the balanced growth in children’s growing age. It also helps in pain, vertigo, numbness, hearing loss, and also gives relief in neuromuscular diseases.
Dosage: 1 tablet twice daily with lukewarm water after a meal.
This is a classical herbal formulation consisting of Kamal phool (Nelumbium speciosum), khus (Vetiveria zizanioides) etc. It is useful in reducing hearing loss, ear infections, tinnitus, and other kapha disorders. This formulation also helps in increasing the immunity and also nourishes the brain, improves neuromuscular diseases.
Dosage: 10 to 20 ml with equal quantity of water, one to two times a day after meals.
In this above article we have discussed about hearing loss in children and how our herbs can help the patients efficiently, some preventive measures have also been discussed to get proper attention from society. It is observed from the above discussed article that a weak immune system might be the cause of hearing loss. To improve the immune system one should take a healthy diet, adopt a healthy lifestyle and proper immunisation should be done according to age.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- AYURVEDIC HERBS FOR NURTURING LIVER - February 9, 2024
- WHAT ARE FENNEL SEEDS? HEALTH BENEFITS - February 9, 2024
- BLACK PEPPER IN AYURVEDA, HISTORY, FORMATION AND EFFECT ON HEALTH - February 7, 2024
- CORIANDER SEEDS, HISTORY, PROPERTIES & HEALTH BENEFITS - February 2, 2024
- CUMIN DEFINITION, VARIETIES, TRADITIONAL USES & ITS EFFECTS ON HEALTH - February 1, 2024