Alternative Treatment For Sports Injuries With Herbal Remedies
Sports injuries occur during exercise or while taking part in any sports and are not limited to athletes only. This occurs due to overtraining, direct application of powerful force on the body part. This is due to failing to warm up the body before heavy exercise that increases the risk of sports injuries and can result in bruises, tears, strains, and broken bones. Generally, children are particularly at risk for these injuries but adults can also get affected. If you haven’t been regularly active in sports then you are also at the risk for sports injuries. Read on to learn more about signs and symptoms and treatment of sports injuries.
Sports injuries refers to the category of injuries that most commonly occurs during sports or exercise. Many health conditions can be developed that do not originate from sports like tennis elbow in factory workers, shoulder injuries in painters, tendinitis in gardeners. Nonetheless, mostly ‘Sports Injuries’ are mentioned for only active individuals, a very common type of sports injuries are musculoskeletal injuries, including muscle injuries, tendon injuries, ligament injuries, bone injuries or any other soft tissue injuries. These are classified into 2 main categories – acute injuries and chronic injuries. Acute injuries occur immediately, like fall, twisted joints. Chronic injuries occur gradually with time, stress fractures. Treatment depends on the type of injury like minor injuries can be managed at home by resting, application of ice packs, compression or elevation of injured part helps to manage the condition.
Risk Factors Of Sports Injuries
Sports injuries can happen to anyone, but some conditions can increase the risk of sustaining injury –
- Default exercise techniques
- Intensity of exercise changed very quickly
- Bad shoes quality
- Running on hard and rough places
- Recent history of injury
- Poor flexibility of joints or bones
- Taking antibiotics may lead to an increase in tendency for sports injuries
Types Of Sports Injuries
Sports injuries can be classified into two broad categories –
- Acute Injuries – occurs immediately.
- Chronic Injuries – occur gradually.
Some major musculoskeletal injuries
- Fractures – Bone fractures can occur immediately on one time injury that may occur from fall or hit by excessive force on affected area. Stress fractures occur in weight bearing bones like, femur, tibia, fibula or foot bones, these are common sites because running, jumping, tennis, basketball, are basically leads to exacerbation of lower limb joints.
- Dislocation – Those sports that involve stretching, falling can cause most dislocations, it requires immediate treatment and is a very painful condition commonly occurs in shoulders, elbow, hip joints.
- Sprain and strain – Sprains are the stretches or tears in ligaments and strain are the twist, pull or tear of a muscle. Caused by trauma and leads to blowing out a joint from its position, can range from first to third degree, and commonly occurs in ankles, knees, wrists.
- Tendinitis – It is an inflammation of the tendon. Commonly occurs in shoulders, elbow, wrist. This can be caused due to an acute injury, or may occur after the same motion again and again.
- Bursitis – Inflammation of bursae, these are the fluid like sacs between the bones, it can also result by repeating the same motion, like ball-throwing, commonly occurs in shoulders, elbows, hands.
Usual sports injuries
Some of the common injuries experienced by athletes are-
- Shoulder injuries – Most common shoulder injuries are rotator cuff injuries (when the tendons and bursae near the joint from the overuse or any injury become inflamed), impingement (when the shoulder blades puts pressure on the soft tissues), instability (when the bone is forced out of its socket completely or partially leads to loosen the covering and dislocations can occur repeatedly).
- Elbow injuries – Most common elbow injuries are Tennis elbow (when we play tennis, tendons of elbow develop tears and inflammation leads to pain on the outside of elbow), Golfer’s elbow (in this entity the patient feels pain in the inner side of the elbow).
- Knee injuries – Most common knee injuries include patellofemoral pain syndrome (pain and tenderness under the patella), fracture of patella, dislocation of patella, tear of anterior cruciate ligament injuries, meniscal or any tendon.
- Leg injuries – Some common leg injuries are groin pull (straining of inner thigh muscles), hamstring strains (sudden running, jumping can leads to get strain in hamstring muscles), shin splints (inflammation of muscles, tendons, bone tissue along tibia and pain felt on the inner side of tibia).
- Ankle injuries – Common ankle injuries include ankle sprain (tearing or stretching of ligaments in the joint), achilles tendinitis (inflammation of connecting tendons of calf muscles on the back of the heel. It is the largest tendon in the body).
Symptoms Of Sports Injuries
Symptoms depends on the type of injuries like in acute injuries
- Instantaneously, acute pain
- Swelling or bruising signs
- Unable to put weight on affected site
- Weakness felt on affected limb
- Entity can be visible by eyes if its dislocation or swelling.
In Chronic Injuries
- Pain during exercise or any movement
- Swelling and consistent dull pain on affected areas even on rest
Treatment For Sports Injuries
Main goals to manage the sports injuries are treatment of injured part and prevention for future injuries that includes
Management of minor injuries
- Total rest for the affected limb for at least one or two days.
- Application of cold or ice packs on the affected area for 15-20 minutes at a time and repeat it four to five times in a day.
- Putting pressure on the injured area may help in reducing the swelling.
- Put the injured limb elevated above the level of the heart with the help of a pillow.
Management of major injuries
- Limited movement of the injured part that relaxes tenderness, muscle spasms and swelling.
- Slings, splintages, braces and casts are the devices used to support and protect the injured part.
- Surgeries may be indicated to manage the tears or to realign the fractures.
As there are many side effects of the surgeries in allopathy and In Ayurveda we can manage the disease by using pure herbal medications and can provide excellent health benefits without surgical interventions. The main aim of ayurveda medicines is to eliminate the diseases from its roots and reduce its symptoms, increase the ability to resist the disease and quality of life as written by respected acharyas.
Herbal Remedies for Sport Injuries by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is a globally recognized manufactured company that provides best herb remedies to the patient because it makes 100% natural products free from adulterants, fillers and adhesives with no side effects. Planet Ayurveda provides pure extract of raw materials which gives positive results against the disease and helps in rejuvenating the body properties. In Sports injuries we can use –
SPORTS INJURY CARE PACK
This ayurvedic pack helps in managing the sports injuries and also helps in strengthening the bones, tendons along with cartilages. This pack is a combination of five formulations-
- Boswellia Curcumin
- Yograj Guggul
- Cissus Power
- Jatyadi Tailam
- Orthovita Oil
1. Boswellia Curcumin
This is a polyherbal formulation given by planet ayurveda consisting of Shallaki (Boswellia serrata), haridra (Curcuma longa) used in bones and joint diseases. It helps in reducing pain, inflammation, and stiffness in the musculoskeletal system.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily, after meals with plain water.
2. Yograj Guggul
This is a polyherbal formulation mentioned in ayurvedic texts consisting of Guggul (Commiphora mukul), nagarmotha (Cyperus rotundus). It relieves pain and gives comfortable movements of joints and muscles, eliminates and detoxifies the toxins from the system, supports rejuvenation of skeletal and neuromuscular disorders.
Dosage: 1-2 tablets twice or thrice daily with lukewarm water.
3. Cissus Power
This is a single herbal capsule formulation consisting of Hadjod (Cissus quadrangularis). This formulation is widely used in fractures to relieve the pain and strengthens the joint and also helps in increasing the healing process during fractures.
Dosage: 1-2 Capsules twice daily, with plain water, after meals.
4. Jatyadi Tailam
This is a classical ayurvedic herb formulation mentioned in ancient texts consisting of chameli (Jasminum officinale), neem (Azadirachta indica). This formulation is used for healing processes. It is very helpful in repairing wear and tear damages in our body. Application of this tailam on the affected part helps to speed up the healing process and enhance the movements of bones and joints.
Method of Application: Apply over the affected area once or twice daily.
5. Orthovita Oil
This is a polyherbal oil given by planet ayurveda consisting of many different oils like Shul gajendra oil, gandhapura oil etc. This formulation gives strength to the musculoskeletal system and also promotes the mobility of muscles, tendons, ligaments and joints.
Method of Application: Apply over the affected area and gently once or twice daily.
It is better to take Ayurvedic medicines because it doesn’t give any side effects and is treated with ancient methods to manage the condition and these formulations are basically free from any adulterants and preservatives that affect your health. By the Ayurveda products patients quality of life can be improved effectively.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- AYURVEDIC HERBS FOR NURTURING LIVER - February 9, 2024
- WHAT ARE FENNEL SEEDS? HEALTH BENEFITS - February 9, 2024
- BLACK PEPPER IN AYURVEDA, HISTORY, FORMATION AND EFFECT ON HEALTH - February 7, 2024
- CORIANDER SEEDS, HISTORY, PROPERTIES & HEALTH BENEFITS - February 2, 2024
- CUMIN DEFINITION, VARIETIES, TRADITIONAL USES & ITS EFFECTS ON HEALTH - February 1, 2024