Treatment of Xerostomia in Ayurveda with Herbal Remedies
In this article our main topic of discussion is xerostomia. In conditions like these ayurveda works very well, as it focuses on dealing with such ailment by doing detailed prakriti (nature) analysis, and then uses medication according to that by following basic principles of ayurveda out of which one is ‘tridosha theory’ (three principle energies of our body- vata, pitta and kapha) and another one is ‘panchamahabhuta theory’ (five basic elements of life- akash (sky), vayu (air), agni (fire), jal (water) and prithvi (mother earth). So let’s start discussing this in more detail.
Xerostomia is also known as dry mouth. It is not just disease but can be seen as a symptom in various other ailments such as in diabetes mellitus. This condition arises when salivary glands in our mouth don’t make enough saliva. Saliva is very important for maintaining normal health of our oral system. It prevents tooth decay by neutralizing acids. It also limits the bacterial growth in the oral cavity and enhances the ability to taste and enzymes present in it assist in digestion as well. According to ayurveda we can correlate it with “udak vaha srotas dushti”
Firstly let’s discuss about Udaka Vaha Srotas
Udaka means jal (water) and udaka vaha srotas are also known as ‘ambu vaha srotas’ and ‘jal vaha srotas’. According to acharya charaka they have their main residing site in talu (palate) and kloma. Whenever these srotas get vitiated it will lead to generation of pathology in surrounding underlying structures.
These are the main causes (nidan as per ayurveda) that results in formation of an ailment. The common causes of it are as follow:
- Not drinking enough fluids
- When person sleep with open mouth
- Extreme hot weather
- Consumption of dry food items.
- Oral carcinoma
- Radiation therapy
- As a side effect of certain medications- antidepressants, antihistamines, diuretics, phenothiazines etc.
- Presence of underlying diseases:
- Diabetes mellitus
- Salivary gland aplasia
- Renal failure
- Rheumatoid arthritis
According to Ayurveda
Charak. Viman 5/11- This verse states that following below listed points are main causative factors for udaka vaha srotas dushti:
- Due to consumption of heat in excess amount.
- Excess use of ama forming diet and fear.
- Intake of dry food articles.
- Suppression of urge for thirst.
It means the general complaints along with which patients present in front of the physician. They are as follow:
- Dryness of tongue, palate, lips, throat and kloma.
- Excessive thirst.
- Difficulty in speaking
- Hoarseness of voice
- Problem in chewing and swallowing.
- Burning sensation in the mouth
- Tingling sensation in mouth
- Sore throat
- Cracked lips.
Charaka.Viman 5/8- This verse states the common symptoms arises in udaka vaha srotas dushti, they are as follow:
- Dryness of tongue, palate, lips, throat and kloma.
- Excessive thirst.
It includes the common diagnostic approaches we use to identify the disease.
- By doing physical examination of the patient by observing his/her symptoms.
- Thorough and detailed history taking.
- Oral examination- inner surface of cheeks will appear rough and dry.
- Salivary gland biopsy
- Blood tests
- Urine analysis
- Schirmer test for lacrimal flow study.
According to Ayurveda
The two most preferred diagnostic procedures used by a physician are as follow:
Trividh pariksha (Group of 3 diagnostic procedures)
- Darshan – Diagnosis is made by visual examination of the symptoms.
- Sparshan – Physician uses tactile examination to evaluate whether skin is cold/hot
- Prashan- Physicians ask direct questions from the patient, to evaluate the root cause of the disease i.e. history taking.
Asthavidh pariksha (set of 8 examination procedure)
- Nadi pariksha- By palpating the pulse rate of the patient.
- Mutra pariksha- By examining the urine of the patient.
- Mal pariksha- By stool examination.
- Jivha pariksha- By examining the tongue whether coated or not.
- Shabad pariksha- By listening to the natural sounds within the body like intestinal sound (peristalsis) sounds of moving body fluids.
- Sparsh pariksha- By observing the patient skin texture whether it is cool, wet or dry.
- Drik pariksha- When a physician inspects patient symptoms through his/her eyes.
- Akriti pariksha- When a physician evaluates the general appearance of a patient whether he/she looks dull, lethargic or fatigued etc.
It includes the factors responsible for increasing the chance of developing an ailment in the body. In right coronary artery blockage the common risk factors are:
- Drink at least 10 to 12 glass of water in a day and always stay hydrated
- Rinses your mouth 4 to 6 times daily.
- Always use soft- bristle toothbrush and fluoride containing toothpaste.
- Consume liquid diet in more proportion
- Avoid sticky and sugary drinks
- Don’t consume acidic juices
- Demolish the use of alcohol, caffeine containing products like tea and coffee.
- Eat moist and soft edible products.
According to ayurveda: The main line of treatment is as follow:
1. Nidan parivarjan chikitsa (avoiding the root cause of disease) – This treatment modality had been given utmost importance in our ancient text.
2. Use of cold water Advise patients to stay hydrated, but don’t engulf large quantities of water at a particular time as it will lead to generate ‘mandagni’ (low digestive fire) as excess amount of water will diminish the ‘agni’ (digestive fire).
3. Consume indra jal Indra jal means rain water; drink it by adding a slight amount of honey in it. In Case there is an unavailability of indra jal, we can use normal water as it also has similar properties to the rain water such as cold in nature and light in weight so it will promote healthy digestion.
4. Kaval (Gargling)Practice it with mishri mixed water, cow milk as it strengthens the oral cavity, and due to their cold potency it will help in balancing pacified pitta dosha, the main root cause of problems like dry mouth.
5. Gandush (Oil pulling)It keeps the entire oral cavity moist and healthy. It is very effective in maintaining oral health. For oil pulling one can use cow milk, normal water, sesame oil, coconut oil, or any herbally medicated oil.
- Fill your mouth completely with oil, water and milk up to your holding capacity.
- Keep the oil/ medicated solution for 15-20 minutes in the mouth and hold it until there is secretion of tears from eyes.
- After that spit it out.
- Then rinse the mouth with the warm water and don’t drink cold water for at least 2-3 hours after doing this procedure.
6. Nasya karma (herbal smoke)In this procedure inhalation of herbal smoke or drops of medicated oil is poured into each nostril. Inhale it three times from each nostril. Use of cow milk or anu tail is advice to get relief from the problem of dry mouth.
7. Sanshaman chikitsa (Oral medications) – In this use of medication by oral route is done.
- Chanderkala rasa
- Praval pishti
Dosage: 125-500 mg with plain water after meal.
- Eladi vati
- Rasadi vati
Dosage: 250-500 mg with plain water after meal.
- Shadanga paniya
Dosage: 20-40 ml with honey
Dosage: 20-40 ml with equal amount of water after meal.
- Jeevaniya ghrita
Dosage: 10-20 ml with milk after meal.
Beside these classical herbal medicines we can also use herbal formulation of Planet Ayurveda; they are also prepared under the guidance of ayurveda experts. Thus works very generously in ailment like xerostomia .
Herbal Formulation of Planet Ayurveda
1. Acido plan Syrup
This herbal syrup contain medicinal herbs such as patola (Trichosanthes dioica), ghrit kumari (Aloe barbadensis), saunf (Foeniculum vulgare), kokum (Garcinia indica), pitta papada (Fumaria indica), shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) etc. It boosts up the digestive fire and helps in reducing the pacified pitta dosha. Elevated pitta dosha is the main culprit in producing dry mouth/ xerostomia. Thus this herbal syrup works very efficiently in the problem of xerostomia.
Dosage: 1 tsp twice daily after meals.
2. Neuro Plan Syrup
This herbal syrup contains medicinal herbs such as Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), mandukaparni (Centella asiatica), shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis), ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), bhojpatra (Betula utilis), marich (Piper nigrum), pippali (Piper longum) etc. Herbs in this formulation help in strengthening the nervous system as they are good nervine tonic. Beside this property this herbal syrup also promotes good functioning of the alimentary tract, which will aid in problems like xerostomia very effectively.
Dosage: 1 tsp twice daily after meal.
3. Gum Care Powder
This herbal powder of the Planet Ayurveda contains such an efficacious combination of the herbs such as Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Twak (Cinnamomum zeylancia), Mustak (Cyperus rotundus), Lavang (Syzygium aromaticum), Poog (Areca catechu), Khadir (Acacia catechu) etc. All these herbs are highly useful in every tooth and gum related problems. Herbs present in this promote good hygiene of the oral cavity that will help in getting rid of xerostomia.
Dosage: Massage your teeth and gums smoothly with 3-6 gm powder. Rinse the mouth with lukewarm water after 2-3 minutes.
4. Chitrakadi Vati
This herbal formulation contain medicinal herbs such as Chitrak (Plumbago zeylanica), Shunthi (Zingiber officinale), Black pepper (Piper nigrum), Pippali (Piper longum), Ajmoda (Trachyspermum roxburghianum) etc. It is an efficacious blend of herbs that promote healthy digestion of food. As healthy digestion helps in getting rid of problems like dry mouth as according to Ayurveda indigestion is the root cause of every ailment.
Dosage: 1 twice daily with plain water after meals.
Contact Planet Ayurveda to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – firstname.lastname@example.org or call at +91-172-5214030 Or Check Website – www.PlanetAyurveda.com
Now we can conclude that in disorders like xerostomia, ayurvedic treatment shows very good and effective results. If you are considering going for ayurvedic treatment kindly visit planet ayurveda. It is a leading manufacturing unit serving people worldwide with an aim of holistic healing with natural herbs. Their herbal products are 100% organic and preservative free. You can visit us at our clinic in Mohali, Punjab.