Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction Treatment with Herbal Remedies
Sacroiliac joint dysfunction is a pain in the sacroiliac joint and abnormal motion in the sacroiliac joint. A Joint is a place which comes between the bones, joints include soft tissues around them such as cartilage, tendons and ligaments. There are three types of joints- Fibrous, cartilaginous and synovial joints. Functionally, there are 3 different joints: immovable, slightly movable, and freely moveable. The fibrous joint is a fixed joint which is made up of collagen connected bone and has no joint cavity. Cartilaginous joints are the bones which are attached by hyaline cartilage. Joints are derived from mesenchyme, and bones directly develop through intramembranous ossification and differentiate into bone-producing cells. There are two basic types of joints: diarthrosis (where fluid is present) and Synarthrosis (where fluid is not present). The sacroiliac joint connects the sacrum part at the base of the spine which is connected to the hip bone. The sacroiliac joint is located on the side of the sacral spine which is deep in the pelvis and is well protected by strong ligaments. In this topic, we will discuss the sacroiliac joints that link the pelvis and the lower part of the spine and its causes, symptoms and ayurvedic management in detail.
Sacroiliac joint dysfunction is the pain of the sacroiliac joint and is caused by abnormal movements with mechanically low back pain. It is the most common cause of axial low back pain which affects people and is more commonly seen in males than females. Sacroiliac joint dysfunction is defined as a condition that commonly involves a painful sacroiliac joint and its surrounding tissues and ligaments. This joint commonly connects the pelvis to the sacrum and bottom of the spine and when excessive or reduced compression force occurs in the region causing pain and dysfunction. This pain and dysfunction cause disability and reduce the function and quality of life. In this patient feels pain in the lower gluteal region and lower back pain which can be referred to as thigh and lower leg. It commonly includes activities such as in- Rolling over in bed, bending forward and weight-bearing activities such as running, walking and jumping.
- 80% of the cases of Sacroiliac injury are due to microtrauma and acute trauma. This is mainly due to injury to the pelvic ring, traumatic injuries and low-pelvic fractures.
- 20% of the cases are related to pregnancy as during delivery there is relaxation of sacroiliac ligaments which makes the sacroiliac joint hypermobile.
- 4% are idiopathic
- Pain can be seen on X-Ray which shows abnormality of the sacrum.
- Obese patients are more affected by sacroiliac joint pain.
- It is a true diarthrodial joint which joins the sacrum to the pelvis region, the muscles and ligaments which are surrounded and attached to the sacroiliac joint in the front and back and are the source of pain and inflammation.
- There are many large and small muscles which have a relationship with the ligaments of the sacroiliac joint which includes the piriformis and rectus femoris and many more. When these muscles are involved there is spasm and painful dysfunction of the sacroiliac joint.
- Who experience sacroiliac joint dysfunction there is tightness in the hamstring and psoas muscles and hip flexors and there is atrophy throughout the body which brings pain in the lower back.
- Hypermobility- Sacroiliac dysfunction is due to extra-articular dysfunction which makes joints lose or hypermobile. This becomes abnormal joint movement which weakens the ligament and joint thus the sacroiliac joint shows degenerative changes. When there is an imbalance of hormones which is associated with pregnancy and relaxation causes the weakening of the sacroiliac structure.
- Hypermobility- It is due to too little movement of the sacroiliac joint which locks the joint and causes degenerative changes in the joints. It can also be seen in patients suffering from an inflammatory disease known as ankylosing spondylitis.
- Gait Issues– Due to scoliosis or uneven pressure of the pelvis causes wear and tear of the joints causing a high risk of pain.
- Lower back ache surgery
- Pain in the lower back ache, buttock and in hip region.
- Sharp and stabbing type of pain which extends down to the thigh region.
- There is the absence of neurological deficit
- Local tenderness is felt in the posterior aspect of the sacroiliac joint.
- Sometimes the pain is misdiagnosed with radicular pain.
- Burning sensation in the pelvis
- Pain is in the groin region and while standing up from a sitting position
- CT Scan
- Certain maneuvers such as Gillet standing flexion test, seated flexion test-
- Sacral thrust test
- Distraction test
- Faber test
- Iliac gapping test
- Numbing drugs
- Therapy and exercise such as yoga and massage which is helpful in stabilizing and strengthening the sacroiliac joint and helpful in easing pain.
- Use cold packs and heat packs
- Medications such as Anti-inflammatory medications such as Aspirin and ibuprofen.
- Muscle relaxants
- Corticosteroids injection into the joints
- Radiofrequency ablation deactivates the nerves which eases down the pain.
- Platelet-rich plasma injections
THERAPIES FOR SACROILIAC JOINT PAIN
This physical therapy helps to rehabilitate the sacroiliac joints which includes-
- Stretching- it reduces the spasms and muscle tension in the lower back.
- Exercise– It is helpful to support the joints which strengthen the abdominal muscles and trunk region.
- Aerobic Exercise– This exercise is helpful in elevating the flow of blood and bringing nutrients to the damaged tissues so helpful in the healing process.
- Achilles tendinosis
Ayurveda is a traditional system of medicine which has served humanity for ages. It not only focuses on the disease but helps in the management of the disease which helps to live a healthy and happy life. In sacroiliac joint dysfunction mainly tridoshas are involved whereas there is an aggravation of doshas. When there is an aggravation of Vata doshas there are symptoms of a tingling sensation which is associated with pain in the joints, whereas pitta doshas cause inflammation in the joints, Kapha Doshas reduces the mobility of the joints. Thus it is considered tridoshas vyadhi. To pacify the tridosha vyadhi ayurvedic medications are helpful in managing the condition of Sacroiliac joint dysfunction.
AYURVEDIC TREATMENT DEPENDS UPON THREE MAIN GROUPS
- Ahara (Diet)
- Vihara (Lifestyle)
- Aushadi Chikitsa (Medicinal treatment)
- Nadi Swedan and Sarvanga Swedana- It is the sudation with vapors which is helpful in relieving stiffness and pain.
- Abhyangam- It is done with medicated oil which is helpful in relaxing the muscles.
- Kativasti- It is a fermented procedure which is helpful in a painful situation such as in slipped disc or muscle spasm.
- Matravasti- It is a combination of decoction and oil which is used in back pain and lumbar pain stenosis.
HERBS USEFUL IN SACROILIAC JOINT DYSFUNCTION
Kalonji (Nigella sativa) is a famous ayurvedic herb which has anti-inflammatory properties so helpful in relieving pain and fever. This is helpful in pacifying the Kapha and Vata doshas. It is used in inducing menstruation and improves taste and digestion strength. Useful in nephrotoxicity and hepatotoxicity. Useful against intestinal worm infestation and high cholesterol levels.
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is a powerful gift by ayurveda which is helpful in maintaining bodybuilding and acts as an antioxidant. Helpful in strengthening the immune system and balances the tridoshas of the body. Has antioxidant properties and acts as a nerve tonic. Wonderful herb in promoting healthy joints as it has anti-inflammatory properties which help in giving relief in pain and swelling of the joints.
Bala (Sida cordifolia) helps in pacifying the tridoshas of the body which helps to balance the quality and quantity of sperm production. Has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. It is known for its rasayan and nerve tonic. Act as a diuretic which is helpful in treating cystitis. The external application of Bala is helpful in reducing inflammation which reduces arthritis pain and other stiffness of the joints.
Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) is a famous ayurvedic herb which has many medicinal properties. Known for its cardiac tonic and has many antioxidant properties which balance Kapha and pitta doshas. It has an astringent effect which detoxifies the blood and cleans urinary infections. Helpful in chronic respiratory disorders and in chest injuries.
HERBAL REMEDIES BY PLANET AYURVEDA FOR SACROILIAC JOINT DYSFUNCTION
Planet Ayurveda is an emerging US-FDA registered, GMP-certified and ISO 9001:2015 certified ayurvedic company, which manufactures the standard ayurvedic medicines as given in the ancient ayurvedic texts. The medications prepared are without any preservatives and additives which cause any harmful effect on the human body. Products which are manufactured are pure and hence devoid of any adulterations. For sacroiliac, joint dysfunction planet ayurveda formulated many ayurvedic formulations which cause no side effects and are useful in this disease.
- BOSWELLIA CURCUMIN
- HAKAM CHURNA
- RUMOGIN 5 CAPSULES
- LAKSHADI GUGGUL
- BONE SUPPORT
1. Boswellia Curcumin
Boswellia Curcumin is a polyherbal capsule which is made by planet ayurveda using ingredients such as Shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and Curcumin (Curcuma longa). This capsule has anti-inflammatory properties which are helpful in relieving joint pain and stiffness. Helpful in various diseases such as brain tumors which is helpful in reducing brain oedema and killing brain tumour cells. Rich in antioxidants and promotes joint health and provides immune support.
Dosage– 1 capsule twice daily after meals with plain water.
2. Hakam Churna
Hakam Churna is polyherbal churna which is prepared by planet ayurveda using various ingredients such as Chandershoor (Lepidium sativum), Kalonji (Nigella sativa), Methi (Trigonella foenum graceum) and Ajwain (Trachyspermum Ammi). This churna has an anti-inflammatory property which relieves joint pain and reduces swelling. Improves the functions of the liver, digestion & reduces the serum cholesterol.
Dosage– 1 teaspoon twice daily with lukewarm water daily.
3. Rumogin 5 Capsules
Rumogin 5 capsules are polyherbal capsules which are made by planet ayurveda using various ingredients such as Haridra (Curcuma longa), Pippali (Piper longum), Maricha (Piper nigrum) and many more. These capsules are helpful in managing dysfunction and have anti-inflammatory properties which pacify the Vata doshas and provide energy to the muscles and provide smooth functions of the joints.
Dosage– 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meals.
3. Lakshadi Guggul
Lakshadi Guggul is a classical formulation which is made by planet ayurveda using various ingredients Laksha (Laccifer lacca), Asthisamharaka (Cissus quadrangularis), Nagabala (Grewia populifolia) and many more. These tablets are useful in promoting the health of bone and restoring the mass of bone. Reduces inflammation and is useful in treating neurodegenerative disorders. Helpful in controlling the blood glucose level and reduces triglyceride and total cholesterol levels.
Dosage– 2 tablets twice daily with lukewarm water.
4. Bone Support
Bone Support is polyherbal capsules which are made by planet ayurveda using ingredients such as Shudh Laksha (Laccifer lacca), Hadjod (Cissus quadrangularis) and many more. This capsule is providing strength and stamina to bones. It has anti-inflammatory properties which relieve bone-related pain and helps in muscles and the health of bone.
Dosage– 1 capsule twice daily after meals with plain water.
Sacroiliac joint dysfunction is a pain in the sacroiliac joint and abnormal motion in the sacroiliac joint. A Joint is a place which comes between the bones, joints include soft tissues around them such as cartilage, tendons and ligaments. It is the most common cause of axial low back pain which affects people and is more commonly seen in males than females. In sacroiliac joint dysfunction mainly tridoshas are involved whereas there is an aggravation of doshas. Ayurvedic manage the condition of sacroiliac joint dysfunction which manages the disease with proper diet regimen.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- SARCOIDOSIS ALTERNATIVE AND NATURAL TREATMENT IN AYURVEDA - November 29, 2023
- ENLARGED PROSTATE GLAND OR PROSTATE ENLARGEMENT – ALTERNATIVE TREATMENT WITH NATURAL REMEDIES - November 24, 2023
- PARONYCHIA (NAIL INFECTION) – OVERVIEW, SYMPTOMS, CAUSES AND TREATMENT - November 24, 2023
- AYURVEDIC REMEDIES AND NATURAL TREATMENT FOR HEMOPHAGOCYTIC LYMPHOHISTIOCYTOSIS - November 23, 2023
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Tourette Syndrome - November 22, 2023