Cauda Equina Syndrome And It’s Ayurvedic Treatment
Cauda equina syndrome is rare and morbid condition which cause permanent neurological and sensory dysfunction of lower extremities, sexual function. Most common cause of cauda equina syndrome is herniated lumbar intervertebral disc. It is an emergency condition where the disc expands to the spinal cord and compresses the nerves. Vata dosha is the master key for all operations of the body. It operates the body mind system and imbalance of vata dosha resembles many symptoms of neurological disorders. Prana vata is located in the brain. In this article we are going to study in detail about its causes, symptoms, and many herbal remedies which are formulated by planet ayurveda.
Cauda equina syndrome is neurological disease, there is collection of nerves at the end of spinal cord known as cauda equina which receives signal and provides the motor and sensory function to legs and bladder, there is continuation of nerves to lumbar and sacral region but when there is dysfunction it fails to receive it causes permanent damage like paralysis and complete damage further causes pain, weakness and incontinence. According to ayurveda these neurological diseases are due to vata dosha which is the main dosha behind body activities. When vata dosha gets disturbed body damages and causes many diseases. Vata doshas occupy the srotas and produce many ekanga (limited to particular parts), sarvanga (affecting the whole body).
FACTS OF CAUDA EQUINA SYNDROME
- In cauda equina its name derived from horse tail as in the end its nerves look like horse tail.
- Cauda equina is a rare condition with an incidence of 33000-100,000.
- If cauda is left untreated then the patient survives for 4-6 weeks.
- If not treated quickly the damage is irreversible and petite shows no full recovery.
CLASSIFICATION OF CAUDA EQUINA SYNDROME
- Acute cauda equina syndrome – Symptoms appear suddenly after surgery.
- Chronic cauda equina syndrome – Long lasting cauda as it can be seen in 2 cases as in if it is not diagnosed by healthcare or surgery which didn’t fix the nerves leading to permanent changes.
- Complete cauda equina syndrome – It affects 60% people as it causes urinary and bowel retention and incontinence.
- Incomplete cauda equina syndrome – Affects 40% people, loss of urgency and increased urgency sensation in bladder and bowels without retention.
CAUSES OF CAUDA EQUINA SYNDROME
- Herniated disc in lumbar region
- Spinal tumor
- Birth abnormality (abnormal connection between blood vessels)
- Gunshots, falls to lower back
- Spinal anesthesia
- Spinal hemorrhages
- Spinal infection
- Stenosis (narrowing of spinal canal)
SYMPTOMS OF CAUDA EQUINA SYNDROME
- Urinary retention
- Fecal incontinence
- Pain is felt in back and back area (sciatica)
- Weakness in lower extremities
- Saddle anesthesia (involves the anus and buttock area)
- Sexual dysfunction
DIAGNOSIS AND VARIOUS TESTS OF CAUDA EQUINA SYNDROME
- Doctor will take personal history and proceed to the physical examination of the patient (will test for stability, alignment, reflexes of feet and leg). They will ask the patient to sit, stand, bend forward, backward, lift leg while lying down.
- CT SCAN
- Surgery is also followed to compress down the pain, if the cause is herniated disk then surgery is done to remove the pressing material on the cauda equina.
TREATMENT AND ITS PREVENTION OF CAUDA EQUINA SYNDROME
- Surgery is also followed to compress down the pain, if the cause is herniated disk then surgery is done to remove the pressing material on the cauda equina within 24 hours. This surgery is known as lumbar laminectomy.
- Some medications which can improve bladder and bowel control-Hyoscyamine, Tolterodine, Oxybutynin.
Cauda Equina can be Prevented By
- Avoid wearing high heels as it can misalign your spine.
- Avoid using tobacco as it can weaken your disks.
- Exercise as it can strengthen abdominal muscles.
- Maintain healthy weight as extra can put pressure on your back.
- Maintain good posture as it will reduce strain to your spine.
AYURVEDIC MANAGEMENT FOR CAUDA EQUINA SYNDROME
Vatavyadhi disease deals with vata dosha, which has a large spectrum of disorders such as neurological disease, Reticuloendothelial system, musculoskeletal system which further pervades in the whole body. Vata dosha controls mind, senses and when vata dosha gets aggravated it drives the body crazy. In ayurveda neural disease is related to prana (is power for action) which is compared to impulses, but pranaja is same but it conveys sensation of sense, taste, sound, coitus they both denote the nerve impulses. When gati is aggravated the functional normality of vata dosha is also imparied.
Types of vayu and their functions
- Prana vayu (vertex, trachea, tongue, mouth performs functions like spitting, sneezing, deglutition).
- Udana vayu (umbilicus, thorax responsible for drive, vocalization, complexion)
- Samana vayu (in channels of sweat and seat of agni yield strength to digestive fire)
- Apana vayu (urinary bladder, inguinal region,thighs and performs defecation, micturition, ejaculation)
- When this vayu is in its location performs its functions, supporting life without. morbidity. When vayu gets distubed in the gastrointestinal region it leads to urinary retention, epigastric pain.
Causes of vayu
- Dry food
- Improper treatment like vamana, virechana
- Excessive bleeding
- Excessive running, walking, exercise
- Excessive intake of spicy foods
- Stiffness of interphalangeal joints
- Tightness in back, and head
- Swelling of body parts
- Pricking pan
TREATMENT OF CAUDA EQUINA SYNDROME
- Sweda (sudation therapy)
- Hot and fresh foods
- After application of oils than tapping of fists
- Alcohol products prepared from flours
- Mridu shodana (cleansing such as virechana)
- Medicated enemas
HERBS USEFUL IN CAUDA EQUINA SYNDROME
- Dashmool Avelah – Dashmool has been used by ayurveda since ages and has very good health benefits and is the ultimate remedy for nerves, muscles, bones and joints. Dashmool is not only used in pain disorder but shows good results in inflammatory disease. Is very effective in cough, asthma, chronic fever and many other anomalies.
- Prasarini Tailam – Prasarini is ayurvedic medication used in treatment of sciatica, neck pain. It is used to treat facial palsy and mch useful in females to conceive and in men to rectify the sperm impurities, and in shoulder dislocation pain shows much good effects. Prasarini balances vata and kapha dosha. Applied externally and internally as kativasti, abhyanga.
HERBAL REMEDIES FOR CAUDA EQUINA SYNDROME BY PLANET AYURVEDA
Planet Ayurveda is a GMP certified clinic which formulates their own remedies for almost all health conditions. All the formulations are prepared under strict observance of M.D Ayurveda practitioners. The remedies are free from any preservatives, resins, colors, gums. As the remedies are pure so they can be used without any worrying about side effects. For this purpose planet ayurveda provides certain medications which includes certain formulations:
- TRAYODASHANG GUGGUL
- AGNITUNDI VATI
- MAHA VATVIDHWANSAN RAS
- BOSWELLIA CURCUMIN
- VRIHAT VATCHINTAMANI RAS
1. Trayodashang Guggul
Trayodashang guggul is famous ayurvedic medicine prepared in the form of tablet containing 13 ingredients such as Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Rasna (Pluchea lanceolata), Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) and many more. This medicine is used in joint pain related disorders, in treatment of sciatica, inflammation of joints, gout, paralysis, hemiplegia, and pain in lumbar sacral regions. Trayodashang has anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic properties that act as an analgesic.
Dosage: 1-2 tablets 2-3 times a day after food with warm water.
2. Agnitundi Vati
Agnitundi vati is herbomineral formulation made in the form of tablet which is prepared by planet ayurveda by mixing various hers as follows- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Vibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica), Gandhak (purified and processed sulfur), Saindhava lavan (rock salt), Samundra lavana (common salt) and many more. Agnitundi vati is used in various diseases like indigestion, improves appetite, detoxifies the body and improves bowel movement and removes toxins out of the body. It is useful in management of gout, muscle pain, nerve pain, good for heart disease and in liver disease.
Dosage: 1-2 tablets two times after food.
Dashmularishta is clear brown liquid with bitter taste, and dark brown color made of many herbs is formulated by planet ayurveda in the form of syrup form many herbs such as Bilva (Aegle marmelos), Gambhari (Gmelina arborea), Brihati (Solanum indicum) and many herbs. Dashmularisht act as a rejuvenator, restore the many activities and help in post delivery weakness. Dashmoolarisht is beneficial to males in improving fertility, reduces pain in menstruation. Dashmularistha takes away toxins and provides nourishment to the body. It is a natural remedy for neurological disease as it provides strength to muscles, bones and many ligaments.
Dosage: 15-20 ml with equal quantity of water after meals twice daily.
4. Maha Vatvidhwansan Ras
Maha vatvidhwan ras is a classical preparation which balances vata dosha and used in form of tablet prepared by planet ayurveda consists of ingredients as- Shuddha parada (Herbal purified mercury), Naga bhasma (Lead calx), Vanga bhasma (Tin calx), Tankan bhasma (Borax) and many more. It is used to manage many problems like epilepsy, vata disorder, and brain functions. Maha vatvidhwansan ras improves stress, depression, anxiety, and helps in alleviating pain and use in abdominal colic, bloating, and in piles.
Dosage: 1 tab twice before or after meal with honey, fresh ginger, ghee.
Ashwagandharisht is fermented herbal formulation prepared by planet ayurveda by mixing herbs such as – water decoction, honey (madhu), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Vidari (Pueraria tuberosa), Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra) and many more. Ashwagandha is indicated in patients suffering from anorexia, neurological problems, uterine weakness, male and female infertility. It is great medicine for mental problems.
Dosage: 10-20 ml with equal quantity of water one or two times a day after meals.
6. Boswellia Curcumin
Boswellia curcumin capsules are prepared in the form of capsules by planet Ayurveda which is prepared by Shallaki (Boswellia serrata), Curcumin (Curcuma longa). It acts as an anti-inflammatory herb without any side effects, helpful in relieving morning stiffness, and helps to reduce the pain and swelling in the back. Boswellia and curcumin are very effective on cancer, reduce brain edema, and kill tumor cells. Curcumin is an anti-inflammatory herb that has properties similar to corticosteroids.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily after meals with plain water.
7. Vrihat Vatchintamani Ras
This ras is a classical preparations which is found in the form of tablets which consists of Swarna bhasma (calx of gold), Loha bhasma (calx of iron), Juice extract of aloe vera Suta bhasma (purified compound of mercury and purified sulfur) is used to treat vata dosha such as in paralysis, tremors, is an excellent rejuvenate and anti aging medicine. It is also very helpful in pitta disorders such as in digestive disorders.
Dosage: 1 tab twice daily with plain water after meal.
Cauda equina syndrome is the neurological syndrome which affects the lumbar and sacral nerves of cauda equina. This dysfunction causes complete paralysis of the patient. According to ayurveda it is related to vata vyadhi which causes many diseases and gives an unhealthy and unbalanced life. Many ayurvedic herbs are described used in treatment of cauda equina syndrome and certain medications which are formulated by planet ayurveda which is free from any preservatives, colors, resins and hence shows no side effects.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- ENLARGED PROSTATE GLAND OR PROSTATE ENLARGEMENT – ALTERNATIVE TREATMENT WITH NATURAL REMEDIES - November 24, 2023
- PARONYCHIA (NAIL INFECTION) – OVERVIEW, SYMPTOMS, CAUSES AND TREATMENT - November 24, 2023
- AYURVEDIC REMEDIES AND NATURAL TREATMENT FOR HEMOPHAGOCYTIC LYMPHOHISTIOCYTOSIS - November 23, 2023
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Tourette Syndrome - November 22, 2023
- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT AND HERBAL REMEDIES FOR URETHROVAGINAL FISTULA - November 22, 2023