Ayurvedic Treatment For Glycogen Storage Disorder
The cells of our body need fuel to work properly and this is present in the form of glucose. Glucose is obtained by breaking down the food that we eat and it is stored in the body to be used later. The body uses glucose as much as the body needs and the rest of them are stored for later use. Before storing it in the body the sugar must combine the simple glucose unit into the complex as well as new sugar known as glycogen. It is then stored in muscle cells as well as the liver and whenever the body needs fuel this stored glucose is then used by the body. Special proteins known as enzymes are used for both making as well as breaking down the glycogen and this is called glycogen metabolism. In some cases these enzymes are absent and the body is then not able to absorb the glycogen. This results in low levels of blood glucose and this is better known as Glycogen storage disease. In this article, we are going to throw light on GSD and its treatment through herbal medicine.
What is Glycogen Storage Disorder
Glycogen storage disorder is the group of inherited genetic disorders which is one of the main causes for improper storage of glycogen in the body. People who suffer from GSD are not able to control the use of glucose and glycogen because of the missing enzyme. Then the abnormal amount of glycogen is stored in the liver and there is a reduced amount of glucose in the blood. GSD includes two types including acquired and genetic and in genetical GSD there is an inborn error in the metabolism while in acquired there is the intoxication of the alkaloid castanospermine.
There are eight types of GSD including
Von Gierke disease (Type 1), Acid maltase deficiency (Type 2), Cori’s disease (Type 3), Andersen’s disease (Type 4), McArdle’s disease (Type 5), her disease (Type 6), Tauris disease (Type 7) and Type 8 but one of the most common are
- Type 1:- It results from the lack of one enzyme known as Glucose-6-phosphate.
- Type 3:- It is caused due to the lack of debrancher enzyme which causes the body to form glycogen molecules and this results in forming glycogen molecules that are abnormal in structure. This prevents the glycogen from breaking down and forming free glucose.
- Type 4:- In this type, the glycogen is not increased enough in the tissue, and the glycogen that is not built-in tissues has longer outer branches. In this type, there is a lack of branch in the enzyme and abnormal glycogen is responsible for stimulating the immune system. This plays a major role in liver cirrhosis and also scarring of other organs including the included muscle.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Glycogen Storage Disease
The symptoms of the disease depend on the type of GSD and here are some common signs seen in the disease including
- Low levels of blood sugar
- Liver enlargement
- Slow growth
- Cramps in muscles
Specific clinical features seen in the disease includes
Type 1-Von Gierke Disease
- Enlargement of Kidneys and Liver
- High levels of fats, uric acid, and lactate in the blood.
- Impairment in growth and delayed puberty
- Thinning bones due to osteoporosis
- Increase infections and ulcers in the mouth
Type 2- Pompe’s Disease
- Liver and Heart Enlargement.
- Weakness of muscles and heart problem.
- Heart failure in infants by the age of 18 months
- May also cause mild heart problems.
Type 3-Cori’s Disease
- Swollen abdomen due to the enlargement of the liver.
- Delayed growth during childhood
- Blood sugar levels are low
- Increased levels of fat in the blood
- Muscle weakness
Type 4- Anderson’s Disease
- Enlarged Liver
- Delayed growth during Childhood
- Heart and muscles are also affected in later stages
- Progressive cirrhosis of the liver
Type 5- McArdle’s Disease
- Muscle cramps during and after the exercise
- Extreme fatigue ness
- Urine can be a burgundy color.
Type 6 and 9- Her’s Disease
- Enlargement of the liver but can diminish by the increased age
- Low blood sugar
Type 7- Tarui’s Disease
- Cramping in muscles
- Weakness in muscles
- Levels of Uric acid are increased
What Causes Glycogen Storage Disorder
Whenever glycogen is turned from glucose a different enzyme is needed in each step and when one of the enzymes becomes defective it fails to complete the step. These defects in the enzyme can lead to Glycogen storage disease.
DSG is passed from one family to the other meaning it is genetic and because of inherited genes. To be diagnosed with DSG, both of the genes must not be working properly.
There are chances that
- 25 percent of the children might develop the disorder.
- 50 percent chances are that the child may receive the gene from one of their parents meaning they might not show symptoms but can be the carrier.
- 25 percent of the child may not receive any of the defective genes.
How Glycogen Storage Disorder can be Diagnosed
It is important to know the medical history of the patient and there are some tests that can be done including
- Blood test:- To find out the blood glucose levels and to see how the kidneys, liver as well as muscles are working.
- Tissue Biopsy:- Tissue from the muscles is taken to measure the levels of enzymes and glycogen present in them.
- Abdominal ultrasound:- To detect the enlargement of the liver.
- Gene testing:- To confirm the problems in enzymes.
Planet Ayurveda Provides Herbal Medicine for Glycogen Storage Disorder
Planet Ayurveda provides 100 percent pure herbal formulation which is vegetarian. All the remedies are made under the supervision of an MD Ayurvedic Doctor and are free from Chemicals, Preservatives, and Additives. They all are safe to use and free from side effects.
Here are the medicines provided by Planet Ayurveda
- Kumar Kalyan Ras
- Nourish MaxX Powder
- Energo Plan Syrup
- Arogyavardhini Vati
- Chandraprabha Vati
- Ashwagandha Capsules
1. Kumar Kalyan Ras
It is one of the ayurvedic herbal medicines which is used in a wide range of diseases. It helps in reducing chronic pain as well as any kind of weakness from the body. It is highly effective in improving the strength of bones and making them better. It is also very helpful in providing nourishment to the growing children and making them healthier.
Dosage:- One pill twice daily with water after meals.
2. Nourish Maxx Powder
It is packed with powders like Safed Musli (Chlorophytum borivilianum), Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris), and many more. It is one of the effective herbal formulations for increasing the strength of muscles and improves the health of kidneys as well as making it for treating Glycogen Storage Disorder.
Dosage:- One spoon daily after meals.
3. Energo Plan Syrup
It is one of the effective herbal formulations for increasing the immunity as it is made from herbs like Jeevanti (Leptadenia reticulata), Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), Guggul (Commiphora mukul), etc. This herbal medicine is one of the best syrups for rejuvenating the tissue and also reducing stress as well as anxiety.
Dosage:- Two teaspoons twice daily after meals with water.
4. Arogyavardhini Vati
It is made from herbs like Shuddha Parada (purified Mercury), Abhrak Bhasma (purified Mica), Katuki (Picrorhiza kurroa) and many more. All these herbs are packed with anti-inflammatory, liver toning, hypertensive and hematogenic properties making them best for treating liver, spleen, or heart problems.
Dosage:- One tablet twice daily with water after meals.
5. Chandraprabha Vati
It is one of the excellent herbal medicine for removing toxins from the body as it is made from herbs like Goskhura (Tribulus terrestris), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Choti Elaichi (Elettaria cardamom), etc. It is very effective in removing ailments like weakness, pain in the legs, anemia, or vertigo which is very common in Glycogen Storage Disorder.
Dosage:- One tablet twice daily after meals with plain water.
6. Ashwagandha Capsules
These capsules are packed with one of the single and excellent herbs known as Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). This herbal medicine very effectively gives strength to the muscles and tissues by giving them the needed nourishment. It helps in toning the nerves as well as increasing mental stamina.
Dosage:- One capsule twice daily with plain water after meals.
Contact my assistant to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – firstname.lastname@example.org or call at +91-172-5214030 Or Check Website – www.PlanetAyurveda.com
Glycogen is one of the essential parts of the body and it provides energy to the body. As discussed above, Glycogen Storage Disorder is the one that causes low levels of glucose. So Planet Ayurveda provides all the herbal formulation mentioned above will help you to naturally make glucose and also reduce related ailments as well.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Panchamrit Parpati – Ingredients, Method Of Preparation and Uses - May 21, 2022
- Ayurvedic View On Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome - May 13, 2022
- Alternative Treatment For Cervical Dystonia with Herbal Remedies - May 13, 2022
- Alternative Treatment For White Dog Shaker Syndrome - May 7, 2022
- How to Treat Diarrhea in Horses with Ayurveda - May 5, 2022